tea stock

For general/other topics related to tea.

Jun 10th, '11, 05:05

tea stock

by m147 » Jun 10th, '11, 05:05

at any given time, how many different types of tea do you all keep? how many types have you to choose from when wanting to brew up some tea?

Jun 10th, '11, 05:42

Re: tea stock

by vacuithe » Jun 10th, '11, 05:42

I keep some :
- raw puerh
- cooked puerh
- chinese & japanese green
- chinese & taiwanese oolong
- red, white tea

Sometimes I know exactly which tea I want to brew, sometimes I just know I want to drink some tea. In this case, I search an idea in my stock.

Jun 10th, '11, 15:39

by bob » Jun 10th, '11, 15:39

I also like to have a large selection. I don't like to drink the same tea all day, unless it would be a very very special one.

Currently I have (ordered by quantity):
- a lot of Chinese oolong
- some black (red) tea
- some cooked puerh
- a bag of weird black bean tea from Japan
- a few samples of young raw puerh
- a bit of Japanese sencha
- a bit of Chinese Dragon pearls
- a bit of yerba mate
- 2 teabags of authentic Coca tea, a gift from a friend who went to Columbia

I mostly drink oolongs and occasionally shu puerh or some green tea (I just ran out of Dragon Well).

Are you perhaps familiar with this tea made of black beans? I bought it out of curiosity in Yokohama a few years ago, but I don't know how to brew it. It looks like a pyramidal teabag, filled with 20 g of roasted black beans. I tried brewing it once, but it was not very tasty. The cooked beans were actually better... :)

Jun 10th, '11, 16:46

by debunix » Jun 10th, '11, 16:46

This came up a few months ago in the TeaDay forum:

how many teas do you have open?

and

how many teas do you currently have UNopened

Jun 11th, '11, 07:10

by m147 » Jun 11th, '11, 07:10

bob wrote:I also like to have a large selection. I don't like to drink the same tea all day, unless it would be a very very special one.

- some black (red) tea
- some cooked puerh
- a bit of yerba mate

I mostly drink oolongs and occasionally shu puerh or some green tea (I just ran out of Dragon Well).

Are you perhaps familiar with this tea made of black beans? I bought it out of curiosity in Yokohama a few years ago, but I don't know how to brew it. It looks like a pyramidal teabag, filled with 20 g of roasted black beans. I tried brewing it once, but it was not very tasty. The cooked beans were actually better... :)

the black bean tea, is most likely mugicha, which is a barley tea. so technically it is not a 'tea'. it is popular here in the summer time especially with cold soba noodles. i like mugicha, but i do have to say it takes some getting used to. you can search google on how to brew mugicha, maybe that will help get a better taste from it. i have only bought prepared bottled mugicha.

Jun 11th, '11, 07:17

by m147 » Jun 11th, '11, 07:17

m147 wrote:
bob wrote:I also like to have a large selection. I don't like to drink the same tea all day, unless it would be a very very special one.

- some black (red) tea
- some cooked puerh
- a bit of yerba mate

the black bean tea, is most likely mugicha, which is a barley tea. so technically it is not a 'tea'. it is popular here in the summer time especially with cold soba noodles. i like mugicha, but i do have to say it takes some getting used to. you can search google on how to brew mugicha, maybe that will help get a better taste from it. i have only bought prepared bottled mugicha.

PS. i like to squeeze a bit of fresh lemon juice into mugicha. try it out.

+ Post Reply