tea stock

For general/other topics related to tea.

tea stock

Postby m147 » Jun 10th, '11, 05:05

at any given time, how many different types of tea do you all keep? how many types have you to choose from when wanting to brew up some tea?
m147

Re: tea stock

Postby vacuithe » Jun 10th, '11, 05:42

I keep some :
- raw puerh
- cooked puerh
- chinese & japanese green
- chinese & taiwanese oolong
- red, white tea

Sometimes I know exactly which tea I want to brew, sometimes I just know I want to drink some tea. In this case, I search an idea in my stock.
vacuithe

Postby bob » Jun 10th, '11, 15:39

I also like to have a large selection. I don't like to drink the same tea all day, unless it would be a very very special one.

Currently I have (ordered by quantity):
- a lot of Chinese oolong
- some black (red) tea
- some cooked puerh
- a bag of weird black bean tea from Japan
- a few samples of young raw puerh
- a bit of Japanese sencha
- a bit of Chinese Dragon pearls
- a bit of yerba mate
- 2 teabags of authentic Coca tea, a gift from a friend who went to Columbia

I mostly drink oolongs and occasionally shu puerh or some green tea (I just ran out of Dragon Well).

Are you perhaps familiar with this tea made of black beans? I bought it out of curiosity in Yokohama a few years ago, but I don't know how to brew it. It looks like a pyramidal teabag, filled with 20 g of roasted black beans. I tried brewing it once, but it was not very tasty. The cooked beans were actually better... :)
bob

Postby debunix » Jun 10th, '11, 16:46

This came up a few months ago in the TeaDay forum:

how many teas do you have open?

and

how many teas do you currently have UNopened
debunix

Postby m147 » Jun 11th, '11, 07:10

bob wrote:I also like to have a large selection. I don't like to drink the same tea all day, unless it would be a very very special one.

- some black (red) tea
- some cooked puerh
- a bit of yerba mate

I mostly drink oolongs and occasionally shu puerh or some green tea (I just ran out of Dragon Well).

Are you perhaps familiar with this tea made of black beans? I bought it out of curiosity in Yokohama a few years ago, but I don't know how to brew it. It looks like a pyramidal teabag, filled with 20 g of roasted black beans. I tried brewing it once, but it was not very tasty. The cooked beans were actually better... :)

the black bean tea, is most likely mugicha, which is a barley tea. so technically it is not a 'tea'. it is popular here in the summer time especially with cold soba noodles. i like mugicha, but i do have to say it takes some getting used to. you can search google on how to brew mugicha, maybe that will help get a better taste from it. i have only bought prepared bottled mugicha.
m147

Postby m147 » Jun 11th, '11, 07:17

m147 wrote:
bob wrote:I also like to have a large selection. I don't like to drink the same tea all day, unless it would be a very very special one.

- some black (red) tea
- some cooked puerh
- a bit of yerba mate

the black bean tea, is most likely mugicha, which is a barley tea. so technically it is not a 'tea'. it is popular here in the summer time especially with cold soba noodles. i like mugicha, but i do have to say it takes some getting used to. you can search google on how to brew mugicha, maybe that will help get a better taste from it. i have only bought prepared bottled mugicha.

PS. i like to squeeze a bit of fresh lemon juice into mugicha. try it out.
m147

Instant Messenger

Permissions