HAGI SSO SENDAI. Relief for Japan.

Artisan Teaware Special Offer Program

Jun 12th, '11, 10:22

Re: New! HAGI SSO SENDAI. Relief for Japan.

by HanshinTigers » Jun 12th, '11, 10:22

I have had my sendai sitting next to me at my desk for a few days now and I have heard a cracking noise come from it twice. I thought i was hearing something the first time, but i know it came from the cup. Anyone else ever hear their hagi's cracking?

Jun 12th, '11, 11:35
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 12th, '11, 11:35

Hanshint... wrote:I have had my sendai sitting next to me at my desk for a few days now and I have heard a cracking noise come from it twice. I thought i was hearing something the first time, but i know it came from the cup. Anyone else ever hear their hagi's cracking?
I have had a few, "did I hear that?" moments, so I am pretty sure I have.

Did yours have tea in it?

Jun 12th, '11, 12:29

by Stentor » Jun 12th, '11, 12:29

I have definitely heard that sound comin from several of my Hagi pieces.
I have actually gone so far as to compare photos of the crackling of the glaze to see if the glaze actually had any new visible cracks. However, there never were any new cracks. Everything was as it was even if I thought "Was that line really there whenI first got this cup?" many times.
I just assumed it could stem from the (presumed) difference in the coefficient of thermal expansion of the clay on one side and the glaze(s) on the other. I guess one is pressing against the other or "letting go" depending on different temperatures...
This is really just me guessing though, I'm no ceramics expert, just someone who enjoys using and looking at ceramics :)

EDIT: Oh and I'm pretty sure I've heard the sound with and without tea in it.

Jun 12th, '11, 13:39

by Geekgirl » Jun 12th, '11, 13:39

I must be the only one who always listens for it. I have since I was a child, whenever I pour anything hot into a new teacup, I always listen for the "tink, tink," of crazing/crackling. I had a favourite little Chinese teacup once that made a great big "ting!" and fell into two pieces. I had a sad.

Jun 12th, '11, 13:41

by Geekgirl » Jun 12th, '11, 13:41

Also, I received my cup. It's very beautiful, but no pics because I'm traveling, and my cup is sitting on my desk at home. :-)

Jun 12th, '11, 14:04

by HanshinTigers » Jun 12th, '11, 14:04

Did yours have tea in it?
mine did not have any tea in it. I used it friday but heard it cracking on saturday

Jun 12th, '11, 14:35

by lkj23 » Jun 12th, '11, 14:35

Sendai on sale : http://cgi.ebay.es/o4567-JPN-HAGI-SEIGA ... 1340wt_905

I would like to buy a Eiichi ROCK cup (sso 16), I really like this cup too, is nice, a pity arrive late.....

Jun 12th, '11, 19:34

by Chip » Jun 12th, '11, 19:34

lkj23 wrote:Sendai on sale : http://cgi.ebay.es/o4567-JPN-HAGI-SEIGA ... 1340wt_905

I would like to buy a Eiichi ROCK cup (sso 16), I really like this cup too, is nice, a pity arrive late.....
It is kind of funny seeing Hagi SO permutations pop up (and there have been MANY permutations). It used to bug me, but now I look at it as imitation is a form of flattery.

Sea Cucumber is generally pretty green, such as SO 1 and 2 (yeah, first 2 Hagi SOs were both Sea Cuke ... and we need another one actually) if you want to see a more classically colored cuke. Or here is a current sea cuke offering (though not overly impressive, it gives you an idea of the green). http://cgi.ebay.com/o4426-JPN-ONI-HAGI- ... 33663b48cb

Since the original accident, and attempts to recreate it, I have seen a few "wannabes" show up. The one in this link is really not a particularly interesting cup style wise, though the glaze is clearly akin to Sendai.

Another SO (#12, "Spirit") offspring, this one is pretty nice and priced accordingly. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... NA:US:1123

Jun 12th, '11, 19:38

by Drax » Jun 12th, '11, 19:38

Chip wrote:Since the original accident, and attempts to recreate it, I have seen a few "wannabes" show up. The one in this link is really not a particularly interesting cup style wise, though the glaze is clearly akin to Sendai.
I was going to say that it seemed a bit of a 'safer' shape and glaze. The interior of the cup, especially, has a very thick look to it, as opposed to the 'crashing glaze' effect that most of the Sendai seem to have. Also, the outsides are certainly more tumultuous.

I'm crossing my fingers that I get a delivery tomorrow.... *cross all fingers... and toes*

Jun 12th, '11, 19:54

by Chip » Jun 12th, '11, 19:54

Drax wrote:
Chip wrote:Since the original accident, and attempts to recreate it, I have seen a few "wannabes" show up. The one in this link is really not a particularly interesting cup style wise, though the glaze is clearly akin to Sendai.
I was going to say that it seemed a bit of a 'safer' shape and glaze. The interior of the cup, especially, has a very thick look to it, as opposed to the 'crashing glaze' effect that most of the Sendai seem to have. Also, the outsides are certainly more tumultuous.

I'm crossing my fingers that I get a delivery tomorrow.... *cross all fingers... and toes*
The preglaze cup on ebay is a piece that is made in huge quanties, and often the mass produced runs. My guess is that Seigan wanted to see what would happen on a straight sided piece. The tapers had been all failures in the previous runs.

Hope yours arrive Monday! When you get it, look and see if the one piece has my name of it. :wink: It was my first pick!

Jun 13th, '11, 00:37

by debunix » Jun 13th, '11, 00:37

Chip wrote:Another SO (#12, "Spirit") offspring, this one is pretty nice and priced accordingly. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... NA:US:1123
Oddly enough, a post in another topic led me on a bit of a tour this morning of teaware sites, and I ended up at Mago's eBay store, and saw this stunner before seeing the link to it in your post. Heh.

Jun 13th, '11, 19:43

by Drax » Jun 13th, '11, 19:43

Mine came today...!!

... but it's at the Post Office. :(

*twiddle thumbs more*

Jun 16th, '11, 18:22

by Drax » Jun 16th, '11, 18:22

Ahhh, I finally had a chance to get to the Post Office...

The cups are very beautiful! I suppose the first 'drink' for the Sendai should have been a Japanese green, but all my J-greens are currently at work, so a Chinese green will have to do, some TPHK... I love how the leaves have collected at the bottom of the "crashing wave" in the interior of the cup...

I will get more pictures this weekend when I can take them in better light, but I can tell I will be enjoying these quite well!

Thank you again to Seigan, Mago, and of course, Chip!

Jun 18th, '11, 13:43

by Drax » Jun 18th, '11, 13:43

I had a chance to get a couple of better pictures today. I've only had one round of Chiense green tea, but crackles are already staining...! I did not leave the tea in for long at all (drank and rinsed). Crazy!

The staining appears to be only hitting the "thin" interior. If the glaze on the sides covers enough of the interior and bottom inside of the cup, I could see it not staining as quickly.

Here's cup #21:

If I recall correctly, I only had a cup or two of tea with it...!

And here's cup #2 from the side:

And then a picture of the staining already going on... you can see how the 'crash' of glaze, being thicker, appears not to have picked up any/much staining yet.

Crazy awesome... going to enjoy some more green tea in these today...!

Jun 18th, '11, 17:08

by Chip » Jun 18th, '11, 17:08

Beauty, Drax!

Still NO staining on the thin interior at the bottom, but after seemingly constant use for approaching 2 weeks, the interior, thicker glazed walls are staining. :mrgreen:

Pretty interesting how the thinner glazed bottom either stains immediately or seemingly not at all.

+ Post Reply