Monday TeaDay 6/13/11 Falling stars?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Watching a movie for the 5th time starring a performer I really dislike, I wondered are there movies starring performer(s) you really do not like, but you were proven wrong and the movie(s) rocked.

Yes, definitely
31%
Yes, I think so
8%
Maybe
31%
Not really
15%
Definitely not
15%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 13

Jun 13th, '11, 01:46
Scrolling: scrolling

Monday TeaDay 6/13/11 Falling stars?

by Chip » Jun 13th, '11, 01:46

Welcome everyone to TeaDay. We hope that you will will visit throughout the day and share what is in your cup ... and discuss the day's topic.

Yesterday we discussed more teas or more steeps. Please continue to discuss yesterday's topic.

OK, I needed a break from TeaTopics today, again. Today's nonTeaPoll and discussion topic. Ever since the movie topic, and after watching a movie for the 5th time last night starring a performer I really do not like, I wondered are their movies starring performer(s) you really do not like, but you were proven wrong and the movie(s) rocked.

We are looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with ... everyone. Bottoms up.

Jun 13th, '11, 05:20

Re: Monday TeaDay 6/13/11 Falling stars?

by Trey Winston » Jun 13th, '11, 05:20

That's an interesting question that I really had to think about. I don't really dislike any actors, exactly, but I'm a pretty sceptical and demanding audience.

I was not a big fan of Brad Pitt, but then I saw Fight Club with no particular prior expectations. 'Twas very good, and I think Brad's very believable coolness contributed a lot to that.

I also didn't expect The Matrix to be any good, and Keanu never impressed me. He also didn't impress me in that movie, but everything else about it did. Except its sequels, of course.

Huh. That's all I can come up with.

Enjoying some Silver Needle today.

Jun 13th, '11, 06:06
Scrolling: fixed

by el gringo » Jun 13th, '11, 06:06

The only actor I can think of that I just can't get on with is Jason Statham and I'm yet to see him in a film I really like, although I did quite like The Expendables. I thought Statham was a bit too serious compared to all the other actors, who seemed to realised that it was all a bit tongue in cheek.

I saw Ghosts of Mars on Film4 on the weekend, now that is a film I think no amount of good acting could help. Statham was in it, as wooden as ever.

Dian Hong in my cup this morning.

Jun 13th, '11, 08:05

by Chip » Jun 13th, '11, 08:05

Though I do not like Eminem at all, the movie I mention in the OP is 8 Mile in which he gave a very good performance.

I do not care for Bruce Willis, but liked him and the movies The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable.

OK, time to brew ...

Jun 13th, '11, 08:07

by tortoise » Jun 13th, '11, 08:07

There are so many bad actors! Hard to choose.

This will offend starry-eyed young women and dirty old men, but I have to say that I've always thought Natalie Portman is a terrible actress. No depth, too child-like, and completely over-rated.

Black Swan made me realize she is not only capable, but very talented. I'm sure she will have more opportunities in the future to impress. I thought her performance carried the film and is the sole reason I enjoyed it. Well, Barbara Hershey was amazing too, but she wasn't in enough scenes.

no tea yet. still figuring it out.

Jun 13th, '11, 11:05

by JRS22 » Jun 13th, '11, 11:05

Interesting question - I only watch movies/actors I don't like if my son is home. Then I'll watch whatever he puts on. But every time I see Linda Lavin (Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore) on the stage I'm surprised at how good she is live compared to on TV.

In my cup this morning - some O-Cha Asa-Giri. Not as good, to my taste, as the Tsuen Sencha Otsuusan, but good enough to start my day with. It'll fill the gap until the 2011 Otsuusan is available.

I'm posting this from my new IPad. Now I need to figure out how to post photos directly from the IPad.

Jun 13th, '11, 18:03

by Proinsias » Jun 13th, '11, 18:03

I think Jim Carey is a rubbish actor. I think Jim Carey was brilliant in Man on the Moon.

Interesting Chip, it's painful for me to watch Bruce Willis trying to be serious in Unbreakable or 6th Sense but Brucie in Pulp Fiction, Die Hard, Twelve Monkeys or the Fifth Element being completely over the top makes me smile.

2005 Xiaguan mushroom tuo sheng. Brewing it heavy today, the gaiwan is at maximum capacity. Woody and smokey with a decent bite. Pleasant enough at a fairly young age, this is one which will be drank as opposed to aged.

Jun 13th, '11, 19:40

by Drax » Jun 13th, '11, 19:40

I suppose the plot tends to override my opinions of actors when I watch movies. I can mentally make up for bad acting if the plot is interesting enough. But for me, no amount of excellent acting can overcome a terrible story. So... not a lot of examples spring to mind.

Today has been a good TeaDay. Sencha at work, finishing off with some pu'erh at home, and about to test out some new hong cha. Very nice....

Jun 13th, '11, 23:11

by Skippyandjif » Jun 13th, '11, 23:11

Maybe...? I am not the biggest fan of Orlando Bloom, but I love the Lord of the Rings movies, and I really like the Pirates of the Carribbean movies. Other than that...nothing. I don't really watch enough movies. :oops:

Pu-erh this morning, tons of iced green tea all day, currently drinking a hibiscus tisane.

Jun 14th, '11, 00:16

by FlyedPiper » Jun 14th, '11, 00:16

Ryan Reynolds in "Buried". Fantastic performance. Who would have thought? Not exactly the feel good movie of the year though :shock: .

No tea yet today! Been too busy. Thinking of starting some kabusecha, or I might wuss out and just have some chamomile. It's getting late.

Jun 14th, '11, 01:26

by Chip » Jun 14th, '11, 01:26

Proinsias wrote:Interesting Chip, it's painful for me to watch Bruce Willis trying to be serious in Unbreakable or 6th Sense but Brucie in Pulp Fiction, Die Hard, Twelve Monkeys or the Fifth Element being completely over the top makes me smile.
:lol: well, go figure. :wink:

Great Teaday ... but not enough. Began with some rando sencha with the Mrs and finished up with YM LE.

Currently some SLT.