Jun Shan Yin Zhen Yellow Tea

White and yellow teas are among the most subtle.

Nov 27th, '07, 12:04

Jun Shan Yin Zhen Yellow Tea

by tomasini » Nov 27th, '07, 12:04

So I got my order from Upton, and in it included my much anticipated Jun Shan Yin Zhen Yellow tea. I wasn’t sure where to begin, but visually speaking the leaves were quite pretty as they cascaded into the basin of my brewing vessel. Soft notes of Yellow on perfect looking needles looking at me and saying “Hey, where’s the water? I need some water!” And So I obliged. I brought the water to a warm 175 and poured away.

But how long to wait? If I followed the recommendations on the package, three minutes would suffice. Somewhere deep down I felt this wasn’t right, but not wanting to screw up my first try because I thought I’d tell Upton how to brew, I went with three. And to my inner Justin’s suspicions…the tea was light, too light. Still tasty, but I knew what needed to be done. For the sake of checking it out I brewed the same leaves for 7 minutes this time, and was left with only a slightly, very slightly different taste.

Once I was satisfied that I had played with these leaves long enough, I busted out a second brew. Except this time I treated the Jun Shan Yin Zhen like it was just a regular silver needle (I know, regular silverneedle, as if there was such a thing!), bringing the water to 160 and letting that sucker steep for 15 minutes. And what I got was quite frankly, delicious. This brew had much sweeter qualities, but still retained the gentleness as the earlier, shorter brews. After brewin for 15 minutes I decided that I Couldn’t really get a second cup out of it, but for the sake of trying I brought the water to 185 and steeped for twenty.

What I got was something, but as to whether or not it was worth the time I can’t be sure. :?:

Jun Shan Yin Zhen was no Silverneedle, and if you ever drink the stuff you’ll see why I’ve made so many comparisons. It’s definitely a special occasion tea for a reason, and I can see why it would be best not to drink it every day. It seems like it would be easily over indulged and if something that beautifully complex becomes ordinary, you really can’t understand just how beautiful it is. I’ll probably make another purchase, but keep it tightly sealed in a tin for special evenings or to treat my friends.

Don’t put Jun Shan Yin Zhen at the top of your “to drink” list, but do keep it on there. It’s worth a sip.

Dec 4th, '07, 00:25

by jashnew » Dec 4th, '07, 00:25

Tomasini- Good call on the yellow tea. Isn't it great. I double seep mine. I like your method but here is mine. Give it a try and see what you think. Water at a higher heat than yours. Around 200. Seep for 3 minutes. Then I reseep at same temp for 7 minutes.
There are two things I love, tea and rooibos http://www.teacontent.com/

Dec 5th, '07, 05:24

by Trey Winston » Dec 5th, '07, 05:24

Somehow your report is more informative (and entertaining) than drinking the tea oneself, Tomasini. Most interesting.

Jun 8th, '11, 07:07

Re: Jun Shan Yin Zhen Yellow Tea

by WintersKnight » Jun 8th, '11, 07:07

Junshan Yinzhen is by far my favorite tea. It's a delicate tea that give you a tea buzz and is worth the money--almost like smoking pot but without feeling stoned. It's a very relaxing tea. It's difficult to screw up a brew, but after reading your post, I want to give you a few suggestions. I drink this tea a lot and received a lot of suggestions from the owner of a tea house I frequent.

180 degrees is way too hot to brew this tea--you risk cooking the leaves. After the water has boiled, I would steep the tea at a temperature of 100-80 degrees using a method they use when brewing Dragon Well (a high quality green tea).

Check out the youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kff7OxaWhM

The first steep should be between 2-5 minutes. You will get several infusions. Do not place in a tea pot until after you have steeped the tea--again, you risk cooking the leaves by keeping the lid on.

While I'm sure you tea turned out great, because I use to steep at a high temperature. But give this method a try.

Jun 8th, '11, 07:17

by WintersKnight » Jun 8th, '11, 07:17

I would steep the tea at a temperature of 80 degrees using a method they use when brewing Dragon Well (a high quality green tea).
Let me correct myself. This is in Celsius, so the ideal steeping temp. in Fahrenheit would be about 175 degrees--so you were about right on.

Jun 19th, '11, 20:14

by wrcowan2002 » Jun 19th, '11, 20:14

Can I ask all, where you are getting your yellow teas? I keep hearing that there are a lot of rip-offs with yellow tea.

Sep 14th, '11, 16:03

by Splinters » Sep 14th, '11, 16:03

There are a lot of rip-offs with Jun Shan Yin Zhen. I know because I've bought them!

I'm sure there are other reputable vendors, but I've taken to buying Jun Shan Yin Zhen only from TeaSpring. The tea comes in a golden tin with certification. This year, it also came in one-serving packets inside that tin.

+ Post Reply