Why Japanese teas?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jun 20th, '11, 16:49

Why Japanese teas?

by oeroe » Jun 20th, '11, 16:49

Ok, I have been reading this discussion area for some time, and I can't help being a bit shocked by the ratio of threads of Japanese teas vs. threads of chinese teas.

So, I am asking you all, why is Teachat so much into Japanese teas?

From my point of view, amount of variety within the category of Japanese greens seems much smaller than that of Chinese greens. Japan has fukamushi-sencha and asamushi-sencha from different regions, and a couple of other types of tea. China has so much more teas to taste! So, why Japan? (Please note that I'm being slightly provokative on purpose)

Jun 20th, '11, 17:01

Re: Why Japanese teas?

by a.serrao » Jun 20th, '11, 17:01

For me, basically because japanese tea are steamed while chinese teas that are pan fired. Two methods yield two very different teas.
Also some japanese teas are pan fired. Please have a look at here:

http://www.tokyofoundation.org/en/topic ... ired-tea-1

http://www.tokyofoundation.org/en/topic ... -fired-tea#

Jun 20th, '11, 17:29

by iannon » Jun 20th, '11, 17:29

I would assume also that you are only speaking of GREEN teas..since the Oolong and Pu parts of the forum, if taken in totality, would far surpass the Japanese greens. I know not quite ALL oolongs are chinese..but in general :) For me Japanese greens are just so different than Chinese greens. That light or deep steamed umami goodness just keeps me coming back for more. then we go into gyokuro as well and lets not forget the oft overlooked temomi..along with kabusecha, hojicha etc etc..
Last edited by iannon on Jun 20th, '11, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 20th, '11, 17:36

by debunix » Jun 20th, '11, 17:36

I probably drink 3-4X chinese teas over japanese tea, but often start the day with sencha--it just seems to fit that part of the day so well. I wouldn't say I love one over the other, although I probably have to confess to more love of Japanese than Chinese teaware.

Jun 20th, '11, 19:15

by Poohblah » Jun 20th, '11, 19:15

debunix wrote:although I probably have to confess to more love of Japanese than Chinese teaware.
The Japanese seem to prefer one-of-a-kind hand-made teaware, whereas the Chinese seem to prefer less expensive mass-produced teaware.

Jun 20th, '11, 20:54
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Jun 20th, '11, 20:54

+1 on the teaware discussion...

But as for teas, I probably have more Chinese greens than Japanese greens, but at this point, I am drinking Japanese greens more frequently (or at least, relatively). Why? I enjoy the flavor profiles enough to want to enjoy them more frequently. That's not to say that I don't enjoy a good Long Jing or TPHK.... maybe it really is the umami...? :D

Jun 20th, '11, 22:10

by entropyembrace » Jun 20th, '11, 22:10

As far as greens go I like the more intense flavours of Japanese greens than Chinese greens which seem to tend towards being very light and floral, especialy at the high end.

Also I think you´re not being fair saying there are only two kinds of Japanese greens....there´s the Asamushi and Fukumishi you mentioned...but what about gyokuro, matcha, kabusecha, karigane/kukicha, bancha, houjicha....ect?

plus there are many different varietals along with the different regions you mentioned...they´ll never have the same variety of tea as China because China is where tea came from but I think there is plenty of Japanese tea to explore . :)

Jun 21st, '11, 00:16

by Chip » Jun 21st, '11, 00:16

Perhaps because once smitten, it is hard to resist the steamed leaf.

It is the tea that I crave each night thinking about the first tea of the day

It is the tea that I first think of whenever I want tea.

Maybe they lace it with highly addictive drugs ...

Actually it was not always this way on TeaChat. When I joined 5 years ago, sencha was pratically a bad word!!! How things have changed. :lol:

Jun 21st, '11, 00:54

by NOESIS » Jun 21st, '11, 00:54

Chip wrote: Maybe they lace it with highly addictive drugs ...
I'll go with that theory! :lol:

Jun 21st, '11, 01:13

by entropyembrace » Jun 21st, '11, 01:13

NOESIS wrote:
Chip wrote: Maybe they lace it with highly addictive drugs ...
I'll go with that theory! :lol:
that´s a possibility :shock:

Jun 21st, '11, 03:16

by oeroe » Jun 21st, '11, 03:16

Well, naturally these are questions of personal taste, and I do have to admit that there are many types of tea in Japan, which are quite interesting. To me, however, all Japanese green teas are "closer to each other" in taste than their Chinese counterparts.

Since this is a matter of personal taste, I find it extremely curious that people here seem to be favouring Japanese tastes. Even though most of you seem to enjoy Chinese teas as well, there are two shincha2011 -threads on top of the page, and none of Chinese Mingqian cha.
I am assuming most of the people here are americans. Could it be possibly so, that Japanese teas are more easily available for you, and that's why those teas are having such a hype?

Jun 21st, '11, 05:57

by Chesslover » Jun 21st, '11, 05:57

For me personally chinese teas are way too much delicate...I like the thick, full of umami, second steeping of fukamushi sencha...just can't beat that taste :mrgreen:

Jun 21st, '11, 07:03

by Drax » Jun 21st, '11, 07:03

Hrm, I know more vendors of Chinese greens than I do of Japanese greens, so I don't think it's accessability.

Aside from flavors, I will admit that quality and, um, "truth in advertising" play a bit of a role. We've had other threads around here discussing vendors and the information they provide (or don't provide).

Meanwhile, do the Chinese have an equivalent of 新茶 (shincha)? Three of the posts that are stickied in this thread are dedicated to shincha. Shincha is not just about the new year's teas, it's about the first batch of the new year's teas. Japanese growers and vendors market the tea specially for this consideration. It's a special event, and a happy time :D

Jun 21st, '11, 08:04

by Chip » Jun 21st, '11, 08:04

Interestingly, there was a "shincha" "stickied" topic for Chinese greens in 2010, but there was just not much excitement nor posting.

There is simply a lot more excitement and posting and interest in Japanese shincha, it is an annual celebration.

As far as topics and posting in general, nothing is dictated by some higher authority, nor is there a hidden agenda. Anyone is free to post a topic, and anyone is free to post. :mrgreen:

So, if someone wants to create a Chinese shincha topic, please feel free to do so, I will sticky it ... for as long as it is warranted by the posting.

Jun 21st, '11, 09:08

by solitude » Jun 21st, '11, 09:08

I started with japanese greens but after I digged into the chinese green teas I found that japanese teas are very similar to each other, grassy, nutty, umani. Going gong fu with a good long jing is a real jurney where you can follow the changes infusion after infusion. I tryied the same with gyo and kabusecha, it was nice, but I did not enjoy it that much. I like sencha at the morning, but thats it.
Teachat is japanese green oriented, but that si because the people here prefer japanese tea, and we who prefer the chinese one, we do not post enough. :D

+ Post Reply