Why Japanese teas?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jun 21st, '11, 09:49

Re: Why Japanese teas?

by JBaymore » Jun 21st, '11, 09:49

oeroe wrote:So, I am asking you all, why is Teachat so much into Japanese teas?
Because I think it tastes better.

And the mentioned teawares issue comes in there too.

best,

................john

Jun 21st, '11, 10:31

by edkrueger » Jun 21st, '11, 10:31

You can categorize Chinese teas into a few categories as well. I don't really think there are more Chinese teas, its just that every region has a different name for the tea resulting from same style of processing. Example: Da Fang, Long Jing. Yeah, they are different, but so are Yame Gyokuro and Uji Gyokuro.

Jun 21st, '11, 11:00

by debunix » Jun 21st, '11, 11:00

Another small point: I may write more often about the sencha I start my day with in the 'teaDay' topics, because I often reply to that as I'm sitting with my breakfast tea, which is most often sencha. I tend to drink my Chinese greens (Long Jing, Anji 'white' tea, Mao Fengs, Tai Ping Hou Kui, etc) at times when I'm less likely to be reporting my teas on TeaChat.

Jun 21st, '11, 11:20

by Nenugal » Jun 21st, '11, 11:20

debunix wrote:Another small point: I may write more often about the sencha I start my day with in the 'teaDay' topics, because I often reply to that as I'm sitting with my breakfast tea, which is most often sencha. I tend to drink my Chinese greens (Long Jing, Anji 'white' tea, Mao Fengs, Tai Ping Hou Kui, etc) at times when I'm less likely to be reporting my teas on TeaChat.
That's a good point, this is the case with me too.

Jun 21st, '11, 12:01

by mlafranc » Jun 21st, '11, 12:01

I simply prefer the flavor of Japanese green tea.

Jun 21st, '11, 16:42
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Jun 21st, '11, 16:42

Chinese greens seem a lot more subtle than Japanese greens, as is their presence on the forum. This is not a bad thing.

I tend to get to know Japanese greens a little better than I do Chinese ones. Most of the Chinese greens I get are 1-2oz packs and I drink them at a leisurely pace as they keep quite well. Japanese green is usually a 4oz pack and I can hear a timer start to tick the moment I tear it open.

Jun 21st, '11, 18:39
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Jun 21st, '11, 18:39

Proinsias wrote:I can hear a timer start to tick the moment I tear it open.
Very true.... :(

Jun 21st, '11, 19:20

by Alanoyes » Jun 21st, '11, 19:20

How long do Japanese greens keep for?

Jun 21st, '11, 22:23

by JBaymore » Jun 21st, '11, 22:23

Alanoyes wrote:How long do Japanese greens keep for?
Depends on how quickly you drink them. :wink:

best,

...............john

Jun 21st, '11, 22:59

by AdamMY » Jun 21st, '11, 22:59

Really depends on storage, in the sealed nitrogen flushed foil packages they tend to come in from Japanese vendors I have had teas that still tasted decently fresh after being stored for 6-10 months from when I received them, and I do not even put my sealed packages in the fridge. After a Japanese green tea is opened even with minimal air exposure I would suggest you finish it as soon as possible, but definitely try not to let it go longer than 3 months, preferably finish it in less than half of that.

Jun 21st, '11, 23:15

by Tead Off » Jun 21st, '11, 23:15

debunix wrote:I probably drink 3-4X chinese teas over japanese tea, but often start the day with sencha--it just seems to fit that part of the day so well. I wouldn't say I love one over the other, although I probably have to confess to more love of Japanese than Chinese teaware.
+1

Although the Song ceramics are indeed wonderful!

Jun 21st, '11, 23:30
Vendor Member

by Xell » Jun 21st, '11, 23:30

In sealed package up to two years. My most longest opened tea was for about 3 month and i didn't notice any taste difference. I'm using double covered tins as tea containers.

About a week ago got some 2010 first flush sencha for everyday/cold brew. Still nice and strong aroma, i feel really little difference with same 2011 tea. But it's probably because of difference in crops between years, not because it lost it's freshness.

Jun 22nd, '11, 09:01

by a.serrao » Jun 22nd, '11, 09:01

Xell wrote:About a week ago got some 2010 first flush sencha for everyday/cold brew. Still nice and strong aroma, i feel really little difference with same 2011 tea. But it's probably because of difference in crops between years, not because it lost it's freshness.
Wow, this strongly negates the "shincha theory".

Jun 22nd, '11, 09:14

by AdamMY » Jun 22nd, '11, 09:14

a.serrao wrote: Wow, this strongly negates the "shincha theory".
What Shincha theory?

Most people think Shincha is special because it is ultra fresh like their Chinese Counterparts. But Japanese Shincha is in part a celebration of the new harvests, and it tastes differently due to it being processed differently than sencha versions of the same tea. Most of the Japanese tea industry is amazing at keeping the tea as fresh as possible throughout the entire process. So much so that a tea packaged and sold in November or December is still very very fresh.

Jun 22nd, '11, 09:15
Vendor Member

by Xell » Jun 22nd, '11, 09:15

a.serrao wrote: Wow, this strongly negates the "shincha theory".
At least how i see it, it's like trying to go and watch a movie on first day of release instead of waiting about month until hype is down. For shincha i did notice stronger aroma from leaves and more rich color, but taste was close to usual one. It's nice, but for sure i would not pay 10x premium price that some people pay for getting it a week or so before everyone else :) I believe that shincha prepared slightly different from first flush tea available through whole year, but i don't have any real basis for this :)

+ Post Reply