Calling on all noobs and not so noobs!

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

May 16th, '11, 06:10

Re: Calling on all noobs and not so noobs!

by siae » May 16th, '11, 06:10

Hello,

I'm new on TeaChat and this looked like a good thread to introduce myself. I'm from sweden and have drinking real tea for about a year (I don't count all those other years with bad tea bags).

My first tea was probably a gunpowder.

My favorite tea for the time being is FF North Tukvar darjeeling.

My next purchase is going to be some more darjeeling tea I think.

:)

May 16th, '11, 10:20

by Rachel Garber » May 16th, '11, 10:20

Introducing myself, (I should have written all of Tim's questions down before trying to answer them). I've been drinking tea since I was quite young (back in the '50s) I don't recall my kind of tea I first drank, my memory is not that long, but I would hazard a guess that it was Liptons or Tetley. I really hate coffee and am so annoyed that tea in public places (supermarkets, convenience stores) is frequently "corrupted" by water that goes though the coffee filter or whatever it's called. Some stores of that type have a separate spigot, but there is nothing worse than coffee flavored water for tea. I started a tea group, the Victorian Ladies Tea Society of Philadelphia twelve years ago through a notice placed in a subscription only newsletter created by Victoria magazine. We have visited tea rooms in the Philadelphia area as well as NJ and NYC. I love tea, although I have to admit, although loose tea is the preference of tea connoisseurs, I usually use tea bags. I know they are made up of "dust" I find it easier when I am rushed (frequently my state of being) it is easier than using loose tea. I do wish people (including hotels and tea rooms) would stop using the phrase "High Tea" when they should be using the phrase "Afternoon Tea" to describe that social time of savory sandwiches, scones and desserts. The phrase "high tea" comes from the high tables in pubs from which laborers took tea around 5 or 6PM. It is a heavy meal, more dinner or supper as it is sometimes called. High tea is an affectation, and has nothing to do with the elegance of Afternoon tea.

May 18th, '11, 15:27

by KiKi » May 18th, '11, 15:27

How long have you been drinking tea?
I've been drinking tea about 10 years.
What was your first Tea?
My older brother used to make Lipton for me and drown it in lemon and sugar.... it was great and I had no idea there was a whole world of 'real' tea out there!
What is your favorite Tea currently?
Earl grey and Irish Breakfast
What is your next purchase?
I bought a few samplers of black tea for myself and decaf orange for my mother
Where is your favorite spot to brew up?
At home with friends

May 22nd, '11, 23:39

by ter » May 22nd, '11, 23:39

hi, guys
I am new here, and I wish I can know more about you.
I drank black tea 5 years ago, and now I enjoy the life of tea, and any story of tea.

I love moonlight beauty, one of the puer but feel like the black tea. and the the story of it. Also I like the fragrance of bi luo chun. :D

some fruit tea may be my next favor as I want to improve my digestive system to make me stronger and stronger.

May 24th, '11, 17:11

by linann » May 24th, '11, 17:11

Greetings all...I am so impressed by your knowledge and looking for help along the way.

I began drinking tea bag tea as a child, loving to dip peanut butter and jam spread on toast into a milky brew. In Univ I graduated to Constant Comment but then moved to Murchie country in British Columbia and switched to good coffee. After a trip to Japan ten years ago I was seriously hooked on sencha and matcha but it took a few frustrating years before more companies offered it on-line from Japan. I now also trade coffee for tea with a friend in Japan. Also, was introduced to wonderful oolongs by a local tea store, from Taiwan and China, most recently to an aged (16 years) oolong which was quite different yet to my taste is very like a houjicha, though processed so differently.

A current favorite is a De Vos cinnamon black tea...I don't know if it is ceylon or what but it has a deeply satisfying fullness like coffee and I am having that once a day.

I am looking forward to Matcha and More's organic gold standard matcha coming in stock soon as well as ordering Green Pouchong again from Canton Tea. I have been drinking the Shincha from Ocha called Aoi...I found I was treating it a bit delicately at 70C and it is so flavorful at 80C. temp.

I would love to try Korean tea as I have read so much about it and hopefully will find sources here.

When company comes I serve tea at home but normally drink it all day prepared in a special area of my studio. That area shines!

May 28th, '11, 12:52

by Vitriohl » May 28th, '11, 12:52

When I seriously got into drinking tea was only about 4 or 5 years ago.

What was your first Tea?
Genmaicha was my first real tea.

I would have to say that I can't limit it to one altogether. So here are a few of my favourites.
Black: Irish Breakfast Tea (Great for mornings)
Green: Genmaicha or Sencha
Herbal: Chamomile (Best at night, before bed)

I'm actually going out shortly to, most likely, pick up those two, and a cheap sample pack as I always do, so I can learn of more teas.

I enjoy brewing up in my kitchen, and if it's black tea, I like to drink it by my computer and read various news. Green tea, though, I like drinking outside in the backyard, or with others. I hope that's what is meant by brewing. Because, honestly, the brewing part is necessary, but I especially love the drinking part :)

Jun 14th, '11, 02:02

by night.owl » Jun 14th, '11, 02:02

A few years. I've only started getting into it seriously in the past year or so.

What was your first Tea?
I've been experimenting with different better quality Oolongs, which I really like, and some pu-ehr's, which I'm still muddling through. I have a batch now I don't really like, so I'm glad I only bought a little.

My favorite Oolong so far is Ti Kwan Yin.

I'll probably experiment with a new Pu-ehr of some sort.

Wherever I'm writing or working.

Jun 22nd, '11, 17:00

by oak » Jun 22nd, '11, 17:00

Hi all, less than a year ago I visited Liverpool for the first time and there I took my first cup of English tea. Two guests offered me a cup of tea In a hostel where I stayed and it was my first lesson in the preparation of a cup of tea.

I've never been in England despite I'm 66 years old (excuse me my English), it's difficult for me to express in this language, but I'm studying and learning it.

I've only taken black tea blend bags, with lemon lately, but I'm beginning to discover a world that revolves around tea, and has only just begun.

I hope to learn many things in this chat and thank you all.

I also hope to share good cups of tea......... from Spain. :)

Jun 22nd, '11, 21:52

by debunix » Jun 22nd, '11, 21:52

Welcome!

Jun 24th, '11, 23:03

by Missdekitty » Jun 24th, '11, 23:03

Regular supermarket bagged teas for over 10 yrs, delicious loose tea for past 6 months - boy what I was missing!

What was your first Tea?
Lipton - can't stand the stuff now.

Still very new to loose tea, but loving greener Oolongs that I've tried.

Just bought an electric water warmer/boiler and placed an order for tea, so I'm good for now.

In front of my computer, with the cats daring to drink from my cup, then slapping it when it burns them. :roll:

Jun 28th, '11, 17:24

by oeroe » Jun 28th, '11, 17:24

For three harvests.
What was your first Tea?
Hmmm, I think my first tea with a big T was an autumnal Darjeeling from Margaret's Hope.

I believe currently I drink most of the time Huang Shan Maofeng.

Hmmm, I think I'm gonna by some bread for breakfast..
Well, probably I'll be sampling pu'ers from the Essence of Tea next.

I enjoy a lot taking a glass of tea to a balcony, and drinking it there while observing the city hazzle.

Jul 17th, '11, 10:19

by SnowLily » Jul 17th, '11, 10:19

I've been drinking tea since I was a little girl but never really gave it much thought or appreciation until recently.

What was your first Tea?
The first tea I truly appreciated was unanticipated. I was in a restaurant and it was a jasmine tea that caught my attention.

There's something about honey chrysanthemum that just makes me so happy.

Since my tea stash has grown exponentially, I'm going to try to hold off on purchasing tea but I probably wouldn't deny myself of some more tea ware in moderation.

I like to brew at home and curl up in bed with an all-time-favorite DVD.

If there are other fellow tea lovers in Toronto gathering together, I would love to meet!

Jul 22nd, '11, 14:33

by Adam Burns » Jul 22nd, '11, 14:33

Hello all!

I've been drinking tea as long as I can remember. I'm first-generation American born which means 4 o'clock everyday is still tea time in my house and if we were visiting my grandparents it was from 3-5!
It wasn't until a few months ago though that I really started to want to learn about tea where it comes from, how it's produced, the best way to brew, etc) and I began expanding my pallet and understanding the different flavors each tea had to offer. I'd say that's when I really started to drink tea, when I started to care about the process and how much effort was put into my cup of tea.

What was your first Tea?

My family has always drank Earl Grey from Twinings, I've slowly started opening them up (pun intended) to more than just the dust and fannings tea bags have to offer.

I like whatever tea I'm currently drinking, right now it's an Acai and Blueberry Flavoured White from Teavana. Mmhmm..

I hope to try Adagio's Rooibos sampler soon! I really haven't had much red tea and I'd like to try for myself what this South African tisane has to offer.

In my own house, I like to have my water heater, my 8 oz. glass cup, my PerfecTea maker and my timer. Plus being able to sit on my couch is a nice bonus!

Hope this helps you learn a little more about me and how tea is involved in my life!

Jul 28th, '11, 00:57

by sdrudge » Jul 28th, '11, 00:57

My mom started me on it when I was 8years old.
What was your first Tea?
Mint tea
Moonlight
More moonlight and Mango
Home. I like to enjoy my tea curled up on the couch.

Thank you.

Aug 14th, '11, 18:53

by 888 » Aug 14th, '11, 18:53

Since I started eating, I suppose. I think it's encoded in my Asian genes. :mrgreen: Also became more enamoured with tea when I lived in China for a semester. Went on serious jaunts to tea gardens and a huge tea market.

What was your first Tea?
Jasmine. So fragrant. I still love fragrant teas.

Green. Sencha!

Anything that tickles my fancy. I have to finish the mountains of tea I still have, though.

The kitchen, although I'm hoping to get my tea table set up in the loft. My husband is seriously amused that I bought an antique Asian tea table when I accompanied him on his business trip to New Mexico months and months ago but have never used it. It's sacred, what can I say?

I hope to own a tea house someday. With a garden to match. Hello from the Washington, DC area! :D

+ Post Reply