Spam?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jun 29th, '11, 08:37

Spam?

by auhckw » Jun 29th, '11, 08:37

i received this email.. wondering where they got my contact

Dear sir/madam,

We are writing to enquire whether you would be willing to establish business relation with us.

We are a Chinese Tea Company specialized in the manufacture and export of the Pu-erh Tea, CTC black tea, Congou Black Tea, Silver Needle, Dark Tea, Instant Tea,
and Tea Extracts, which are organic teas and can be provided to you with good quality and competitive price.

Our company is expanding its market and we would like very much to do business with you. We would welcome the opportunity to introduce you to our tea production line.
For more information or to place an order, please visit our web site at klinddotcn or longrunteadot.com.

Should any of these items be of interest to you, please let us know. We will be happy to give you some in-detail information. Hope to hear from you soon! Have a good day!

Best regards,

Jolin Jia

<snip off the contact details>
Last edited by Chip on Jun 30th, '11, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod edit: link broken but can still figure it out easily enough.

Jun 29th, '11, 08:47

Re: Spam?

by GreenwoodStudio » Jun 29th, '11, 08:47

I received It as well. I wondered how they got my email.

Jun 29th, '11, 09:02

by tortoise » Jun 29th, '11, 09:02

Me too. Should I not do business with these people? :lol:

I assumed it came from here.

Jun 29th, '11, 14:45

by debunix » Jun 29th, '11, 14:45

Also got spammed x several messages from them today.

Jun 29th, '11, 14:57

by wyardley » Jun 29th, '11, 14:57

I notice that you all have a web site or Facebook profile with contact information linked to your account - maybe has something to do with that -- do the email addresses the messages were sent to link up to the email address you have publicly visible?

FWIW, I don't think I received this message.

Jun 29th, '11, 15:20
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Jun 29th, '11, 15:20

I checked my spam folder and haven't gotten anything either.... Although I guess I should check my yahoo mail, which I never use, since I have my AIM linked..

Just another data point...
Last edited by Drax on Jun 29th, '11, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 29th, '11, 15:21

by debunix » Jun 29th, '11, 15:21

wyardley wrote:I notice that you all have a web site or Facebook profile with contact information linked to your account - maybe has something to do with that -- do the email addresses the messages were sent to link up to the email address you have publicly visible?
They have to go through several clicks on my web site and read through the construction of "myemailname at xxxxx dot xxxxx" to pull my e-mail address off of my web site--not a bot-level job.
wyardley wrote:FWIW, I don't think I received this message.
Check your spam filter?

Jun 29th, '11, 15:33

by wyardley » Jun 29th, '11, 15:33

Yeah - scraping off of FB isn't super easy to do by bot either. I was guessing it would have to have been done by hand. Another possibility is that the forum software was compromised, and someone got access to the data. However, I use a unique address for my Teachat account, and I haven't seen anything unusual come in to it.
Check your spam filter?
Yeah - I did some cursory checks... don't see anything obvious.

Jun 29th, '11, 16:11
Scrolling: fixed

by TomVerlain » Jun 29th, '11, 16:11

I aksed Chip about this when I recived a "teachat" email like these, if you allow email from other teachat members, you can be spammed like this. Someone might alert Chip to this and have them whacked. I don't mean deleted from membership, but from this mortal coil.

Jun 29th, '11, 16:27

by wyardley » Jun 29th, '11, 16:27

Hm. I definitely have the 'members can send me email' disabled (though I have PMs enabled).

Does this function just expose your email address directly, or is there an interface that the spammer is using to send it through the forum software? Because none of the users posting in this thread appear to have an email address directly visible in their user profile, and I don't see a way to send them "email" directly through the site (just PM).

Jun 30th, '11, 11:03

by zzenster » Jun 30th, '11, 11:03

I received that email also... I thought I was becoming a rock star!

Jun 30th, '11, 11:34

by Chip » Jun 30th, '11, 11:34

It appears everyone contacted has their user preferences set to allow other users to email them. You can reset this, although this is a very isolated instance.

I allowed emails for my account for a short period, this was during a major spam battle several years ago. I began to get spam emails. I disallowed emails from my account, and they slowly stopped.

It is not hard for someone to join, and simply hit your send email. Not likely bot work.

Someone please send me the email addresses from sender. I should be able to track down the offender and get rid of them, but nothing stopping them from joining again.

And in the future, please contact me directly so I am aware and can take appropriate actions.

Jun 30th, '11, 11:44

by auhckw » Jun 30th, '11, 11:44

Chip wrote:It appears everyone contacted has their user preferences set to allow other users to email them. You can reset this, although this is a very isolated instance.

I allowed emails for my account for a short period, this was during a major spam battle several years ago. I began to get spam emails. I disallowed emails from my account, and they slowly stopped.

It is not hard for someone to join, and simply hit your send email. Not likely bot work.

Someone please send me the email addresses from sender. I should be able to track down the offender and get rid of them, but nothing stopping them from joining again.

And in the future, please contact me directly so I am aware and can take appropriate actions.
PM-ed the address

Jun 30th, '11, 11:47

by Chip » Jun 30th, '11, 11:47

Thank you.

The links were broken in the OP ... no point giving them any assistance!

If anyone has IP info, please send it to me.

Thank you in advance.

Jun 30th, '11, 12:00

by auhckw » Jun 30th, '11, 12:00

Chip wrote:Thank you.

The links were broken in the OP ... no point giving them any assistance!

If anyone has IP info, please send it to me.

Thank you in advance.
PM-ed Internet header. Hope it helps.

+ Post Reply