Thurs/FriTeaDay 6/30-7/1/11 Tea of the year, halfway?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. We are at the midpoint of the year 2011. Do you have some top picks for the year? Please share.

Yes ... and they were
57%
Maybe
21%
Nope
21%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 14

Jun 30th, '11, 01:54
Scrolling: scrolling

Thurs/FriTeaDay 6/30-7/1/11 Tea of the year, halfway?

by Chip » Jun 30th, '11, 01:54

Welcome everyone to TeaDay. You are all invited to share what is in your cup throughout the day. And discuss the topic of the day.

Yesterday we discussed June's tea of the month. Please continue to discuss yesterday's topic.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. We are at the midpoint of the year 2011. Do you have some top picks for the year? Please share.

We are looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with ... everyone. Bottoms up.

Jun 30th, '11, 04:36

Re: Thursday TeaDay 6/30/11 Tea of the year,, halfway?

by Nenugal » Jun 30th, '11, 04:36

Tea of the year so far must be Yutaka Midori LE (2010).
This morning started not with the usual sencha + matcha combo, but with a pu-erh sample; 2005 Douji "Red Yi Sheng" from YunnanSourcing.

Jun 30th, '11, 09:56

Re: Thursday TeaDay 6/30/11 Tea of the year,, halfway?

by brlarson » Jun 30th, '11, 09:56

A small crowd of teas stand out so far this year:
  • Red Circle: 2010 shi feng long jing
    Maiko Gyokuro: Nomigoro, Shuppin-Gyokuro, and Yamashita-Jirushi
    "Nomigoro"
    The Mandarin: 3 Stamp Shui Xian and Phoenix Mtn Shui Xian dancong
    Postcard Tea: 2010 Lan Hua Xiang Dan Cong and Master Xu's Rou Gui
The problem with lists like this is that they overshadow the smaller delights, like O-Cha's YM, Kaburagien's 88 nights, Hibiki-an's Farmers' Shincha, etc..., each of which is wonderful in its own way.

Kaburagien's 88 nights is my breakfast tea today(!).

Jun 30th, '11, 11:36
Vendor Member

Re: Thursday TeaDay 6/30/11 Tea of the year, halfway?

by Xell » Jun 30th, '11, 11:36

Probably it's Yame shincha 88 nights and i have some pink bags as a memento of my first shincha :) Too bad nothing left already, finished it several weeks ago.

Jun 30th, '11, 14:26

by Chip » Jun 30th, '11, 14:26

There have been a lot of really good teas so far this year. Aoi sencha and Yutaka Midori LE, both from the O-C were at the head of the class.

Yame Sencha Kurogi Supreme from Umami-Chaya was quite good as well.

And a surprising Guricha from Hakoniwado was certainly a worthy contender.

TBH, there were likely 10 or more really good sencha and around 3 outstanding gyokuro that makes the list.

Began the TD with YM from O-Cha with the Mrs.

Next up will be a new opening of a new offering from the O-C, organic Kagoshima Asamushi!!!

Jun 30th, '11, 22:47

by Cael » Jun 30th, '11, 22:47

It's half way through the year and I still don't have a year best. Right now though I am drinking some of Adagio's new tea collection. Just finished a cup of the Dragonwell.

Jun 30th, '11, 23:07

by debunix » Jun 30th, '11, 23:07

No tea standing out sufficiently from the others in the group of clear favorites to deserve the title.

Today started with the O-Cha Aoi sencha, then on to a short session with some Huang Jin Gui from Norbu. I filled a thermos with a rather pricey but middling Taiwanese oolong from Wing Hop Fung, one that is now officially to be the subject of my first attempt to roast a tea myself. Then some more Huang Jin Gui, more of the Xue Dian Mei Lan from Norbu that was so forgiving and delightful yesterday morning--but which tonight reminded me that it has power enough without packing the gaiwan.

Jun 30th, '11, 23:28

by Skippyandjif » Jun 30th, '11, 23:28

Yes. My favorite teas thus far this year have been (in no particular order): gyokuro; Korean green tea; pu-erh; houjicha; matcha; rose-scented white tea; and pu-erh scneted with chrysanthemums.

Yunnan black tea this...uh, afternoon...when I finally woke up (oops). :oops: A lot of iced green tea all day today because it was so humid and warm. Right now, I'm drinking a hibiscus tisane.

Jul 1st, '11, 01:22

by Chip » Jul 1st, '11, 01:22

Next tea of the day was the Organic Kagoshima Asamushi. Perhaps should have let the newly opened leaves longer to breath, but I am encouraged by the first attempt nevertheless.

Jul 1st, '11, 01:32

by Chip » Jul 1st, '11, 01:32

Greetings TeaFriends. I am hopeful more members have a top tea or teas of the first half of 2011. So yesterday's topic will continue into Friday. :mrgreen:

As a bonus, any bad teas of the year so far???

We are looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with everyone. Bottoms up.

Jul 1st, '11, 08:51

by brlarson » Jul 1st, '11, 08:51

I've had a few great teas and many good and very good teas but no bad teas this year! However there was one tea that became boring, a Wuyi oolong from a supermarket shelf, so I finished it fast.

More Hibiki-an farmers' shincha with breakfast today. I'm planning to open Zencha's Ultimate shincha on Monday to share with my family.

Jul 1st, '11, 09:16

by jaderabbit » Jul 1st, '11, 09:16

Time certainly flies and I must be moving at a snails pace when it comes to tea consumption. Must confess, there have been a couple of days the past week where I didn't feel like drinking tea.
Anyway, of the teas I've had this year, I've become fond of milan dancong and saemidori sencha. I've enjoyed Kiri no Mori matcha, but I want to try out some more variety before I make any judgement calls.

Jul 1st, '11, 09:37

Re: ThursFriTeaDay 6/30-7/1/11 Tea of the year, halfway?

by tortoise » Jul 1st, '11, 09:37

Yes, there are some faves. O-Cha's Yutaka Midori among them. Having that this morning and it is greatly enhanced by Bill Withers' genius morning song, "Lovely Day."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYi7uEvEEmk

Sencha Kinari is another fave this year so far.
Last edited by tortoise on Jul 1st, '11, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 1st, '11, 11:16

Re: Thurs/FriTeaDay 6/30-7/1/11 Tea of the year, halfway?

by AdamMY » Jul 1st, '11, 11:16

I have had some good teas so far this year but none of them scream out that they should be Top Dog for the first half. Certain Highfire TGY's stand out, and some of the gyokuro's I had were quite amazing.

But I am hopeful for this next tea order, as it will have some quite special Korean teas.

Jul 1st, '11, 11:43

by Mrs. Chip » Jul 1st, '11, 11:43

Chip wrote:There have been a lot of really good teas so far this year. Aoi sencha and Yutaka Midori LE, both from the O-C were at the head of the class...and around 3 outstanding gyokuro that makes the list.
Well, this is my third and final attempt to post in TeaDay. This computer at work obviously leaves a lot to be desired!

Well, guess I am allowed to quote Chip since I drink tea with him everyday. Oops, I stand corrected, I drink SENCHA with him everyday.

And this morning was no exception as we started our TeaDay with a delightful brewing of Organic Kagoshima Asamushi. Lil' Bit, who has decided to take up residence on our TeaTable agreed that Chip did an OK brewing session. :shock:

As for the poll question, my all time fave tea, YM from O-C is safe at #1!
Although I must admit that gyokuro runs a very close 2nd and as Chip stated, we had 3 very good contenders!

Hope everyone has a TEArific weekend... yeah, the Tour de France begins!