OTTI 10: SHINCHA 2011

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

OTTI 10: SHINCHA 2011

Postby Chip » Jul 7th, '11, 18:00

OTTI #10 SHINCHA 2011

Who wants to have some FUN!!!

Well, this has been a very difficult period for Japan, and this OTTI was also difficult in putting together as a result. And a decision was made to not use any Shizuoka tea at this time, eliminating half the selections. I wanted to offer 5 selections, however time was not on our side. (actually, initially this was to be two concurrently running OTTI, one for Fukamushi and one for Asamushi, each with 5 selctions)

However, we have 4 very interesting Shincha samples for this tasting. Each one is quite different from the others, a nice wide selection. Each sample will include 10 grams (enough for 2-3 sessions), so 40 grams total.

EXCEPTION! As you look at the list, if there is a selection or two that you already have in Shincha 2011, I will endeavor to swap it out with my personal shincha. BUT you must have purchased the exact selection already as a Shincha 2011! Be sure to include this in your PM to me.

The 2011 SHINCHA selections form a really interesting grouping. See what you think.

EDIT: brewing guidelines for this OTTI can be found in this topic here:
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=15914&p=202586#p202586

EDIT: Blind Key added! In order to view the "blinded key" that is whited out, click on quote like you were going to quote this topic. The key number will be visible in front of each tea. You can also view it here:
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=15914&start=45#p202568

4 AOI Uji premium asamushi from O-Cha
http://www.o-cha.com/Uji-Asamushi-Sencha-aoi.html
A newer selection from O-Cha, offered in the post Tsunami period.

1 Tokuji Yame fukamushi from Hakoniwado http://japantea.org/sencha/yame_sencha_tokujo
From the "land of Gyokuro," a sencha selection that is also an easy brewer.

2 Yutaka Midori Kagoshima premium fukamushi from O-Cha
http://www.o-cha.com/Yutaka-Midori.html
A perennial fave of many, made of 100% Yutaka Midori leaves. The name is well famous in tea circles such as TeaChat.

3 Tokuji Ureshino Tamaryokucha from Hakoniwado
http://japantea.org/tamaryokucha/ureshino_guricha_tokujo

Also called Guricha, this tea is processed a little differently than regular sencha resulting in curled leaves versus needles. A very easy brewer with a flavor profile easily adjusted through modifying parameters.

Each particiipant will receive all 4 selections. (see exception above) Cost is reduced due to one less than the normal 5 selections.

Cost is $6 for USA members
7.50 USD for Canadian and other NA members
8.50 USD for European members
10.50 USD for Asia and Australia
All other's, PM me.

If interested, please PM me and confirm your Paypal email, also include your full name and mailing address!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Re: OTTI 10: SHINCHA 2011

Postby gargoylekitty » Jul 7th, '11, 18:03

Already had the YM, though no problems with more and the other three would be new to me. :mrgreen:

Thank you for putting this together!
gargoylekitty

Postby teaisme » Jul 7th, '11, 18:06

This is perfect timing. I am holding off my japanese order for another 3-4 weeks so this can satisfy my sencha cravings till then :mrgreen:
teaisme

Postby Chasm » Jul 7th, '11, 18:08

Teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeea! :mrgreen:
Chasm

Postby Chip » Jul 7th, '11, 18:17

OK, in the crazy rush to post ... I accidently left some typos in there that have hopefully been fixes. :mrgreen:

An important note, although I would love to support Shizuoka, I feel it is most responsible to take a wait and see approach due to the information coming out recently. For this reason, they have not been included.

However, I am 100% confident in these selections from other regions!!!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Jul 7th, '11, 18:22

Also, you will receive these selections in foil zip lock pouches made for tea compliments of our host, Adagio.

The pouches will be labeled with a number ONLY. Thus you can conduct blind tastings if you prefer. A key will be posted after the teas have been shipped.

Also, brewing recommendations will be posted!

Some spaces have been reserved for our sleeping international members!
:mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby lkj23 » Jul 7th, '11, 18:35

My first sincha tea hehehe, very exciting!!! I´m going to send the PM to you!!
lkj23

Postby bob » Jul 7th, '11, 18:39

Oooh, I like the selection!

All 4 teas are completely new to me, but I've wanted to try the Yutaka Midori and I like the "easy to brew" descriptions...

However, I don't think I'll have the willpower to do the blind testing! :D
bob

Postby Chip » Jul 7th, '11, 18:44

Oh, more FYI, Hakoniwado is our member Xell. And of course, O-Cha is our member Kevangogh.

Also, if you sent a PM to me, I will get back to you tonight (eastern USA). Please be patient. :mrgreen:

However, you can make sure I received your PM by checking to see if it is in your Sent box.

If you sent it and I did not open it, it will be in Outbox. So it should be in either sent or out. If it is not, resend it to me. :idea: :!: :arrow:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Jul 7th, '11, 18:47

bob wrote:Oooh, I like the selection!

All 4 teas are completely new to me, but I've wanted to try the Yutaka Midori and I like the "easy to brew" descriptions...

However, I don't think I'll have the willpower to do the blind testing! :D

To help those of us who want to do the blind tasting (but lack will power), I post them in "invisible ink." Seriously. You will be given instructions on how to view the invisible font, but the added step might make it easier for those lacking will power. :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chasm » Jul 7th, '11, 18:51

What a great selection. I haven't had any yet from 2011. Thank you for putting this together!
Chasm

Postby JRS22 » Jul 7th, '11, 19:09

A very interesting selection. I've been wanting to try the Aoi w/o buying 100 grams, plus this is a whole week of AM Sencha tastings, and an intro to a new vendor.

I also just noticed that I didn't have my forum settings correct - we have to choose DST ourselves, so it looks like I jumped the gun in my PMs.
JRS22

Postby Chip » Jul 7th, '11, 19:22

JRS22 wrote:A very interesting selection.

I also just noticed that I didn't have my forum settings correct - we have to choose DST ourselves, so it looks like I jumped the gun in my PMs.

No worries, you're in.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Jul 7th, '11, 21:22

Still seats available at this TeaTable! :wink: :!: :arrow:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby woozl » Jul 7th, '11, 22:25

In ?? :D
woozl