11 or more
3%
Infinity ... always room for one more
52%

Total votes: 159

Jun 22nd, '11, 00:02

Re: The unofficial/official HAGI topic!

by debunix » Jun 22nd, '11, 00:02

Chip wrote:This is yet another Hagi SO offspring. Though the glaze/technic was initially created several years ago, the Hagi SO has ignited Seigan to revisit/tweak it after a long absence.
What an excellent outcome! It's a fantastic glaze that deserves more exposure.

While I think the shape and overall appearance of the "spirit" TC Hagi SO 12 cups are even lovelier than this little cup, this one is a little smaller, and will get a lot more regular use. It's definitely a win-win.

Jun 22nd, '11, 12:32
Scrolling: scrolling

by Stentor » Jun 22nd, '11, 12:32

Beatiful Seigan cup, debunix! Looks like he perfected the "Spirits" SO style glaze so that there are no bubbles on the inside (there aren't any, right?). Or he just got lucky ;)
It'll be interesting to see if he's going to use this style more from now on.

Jun 22nd, '11, 13:15

by Chip » Jun 22nd, '11, 13:15

Stentor wrote:It'll be interesting to see if he's going to use this style more from now on.
He is ... :mrgreen:

Actually the blue porcelain was a play on the same glaze concept. When he was having all the problems getting the Spirit glaze to work, he tried it on the porcelain with very interesting results. Fortunately he has gotten more back to his Hagi (clay) roots, IMHO.

Jun 22nd, '11, 13:42

by Chip » Jun 22nd, '11, 13:42

Stentor wrote:so that there are no bubbles on the inside (there aren't any, right?). Or he just got lucky ;)
:lol: Sendai has thousands of very tiny indentation bluish bubbles, really looks purty with an illuminated magnifyer. :mrgreen:

Jun 22nd, '11, 13:54

by Stentor » Jun 22nd, '11, 13:54

Chip wrote:Actually the blue porcelain was a play on the same glaze concept. When he was having all the problems getting the Spirit glaze to work, he tried it on the porcelain with very interesting results. Fortunately he has gotten more back to his Hagi (clay) roots, IMHO.
I love his blue porcelain work. Some if his very best, IMO. :) He does great carving work and nice combinations of blue and yellow with it.

Some poor pictures of my 3 Seigan blue porcelain glaze pieces (1 chawan, 2 guinomi):
Chip wrote:
Stentor wrote:so that there are no bubbles on the inside (there aren't any, right?). Or he just got lucky ;)
:lol: Sendai has thousands of very tiny indentation bluish bubbles, really looks purty with an illuminated magnifyer. :mrgreen:
I meant the big ones that look like they might pop anytime :)
Last edited by Stentor on Jun 22nd, '11, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 22nd, '11, 14:00

by Chip » Jun 22nd, '11, 14:00

:oops: OK, I stand corrected, those are real beauties! My visual memory card fades too quickly. :mrgreen: :lol:

The carving really works with the porcelain more so than the clay which is going to offer much courser renditions.

Jun 22nd, '11, 14:10

by Stentor » Jun 22nd, '11, 14:10

Chip wrote::oops: OK, I stand corrected, those are real beauties! My visual memory card fades too quickly. :mrgreen: :lol:

The carving really works with the porcelain more so than the clay which is going to offer much courser renditions.
The chawan is truly incredible. The yellow lines really protrude substantially, it's like a rib cage (the second picture shows it a little bit).
As you know very well, with all Hagi pieces, seeing and feeling it in person is very different from seeing some photos, especially if they're such poor representations like the ones I posted ;)

Jun 22nd, '11, 15:56

by debunix » Jun 22nd, '11, 15:56

My little hagi cup does have tiny bubbles in the glaze, more on the outside than the inside, and IMHO they add wonderfully to the sparkling affect. The listing says "blue porcelain glaze" but the base clay is definitely the very coarse stuff used on my Tempest cups--I'm wondering if there is a porcelain slip in there someplace, that works with the glaze to change the base color to gray granite from red earth.

I am in love with this beauty already. It will serve me very well at work, where I primarily drink from my 'seafoam' yunomi that is taller and narrower and sometimes gets very hot with puerhs brewed near boiling. Now I can go back and forth between two much loved cups, picking by whim or occasionally by purposeful matching of cup and tea.

Jun 29th, '11, 11:33

by hopeofdawn » Jun 29th, '11, 11:33

Well, I'm still pretty much a newbie at this whole hagi thing, but I thought I would share my first ever Yamane Seigan piece ...

These were quick shots snapped while unwrapping, so they're not quite as good as I would like. The clay body, especially, is a deeper golden/brown color--that contrast against the blue of the glaze was definitely what made me fall in love with this piece!

So far I've had both sencha and tieguanyin in it, and it's a wonderful cup to hold in the hand--it radiates warmth very nicely, without burning your fingers. Between that and its unique look, I'm very happy I snagged it while I could!

Jun 29th, '11, 11:38

by debunix » Jun 29th, '11, 11:38

Looks like some lovely effects of an under-glaze surface treatment plus the glaze. Beautiful.

Jun 29th, '11, 13:48

by Stentor » Jun 29th, '11, 13:48

Exceptionally beautiful Seigan piece.

Jul 10th, '11, 14:53

by Nenugal » Jul 10th, '11, 14:53

Stentor wrote:Exceptionally beautiful Seigan piece.
+1!

I recently got this Seigan "firefly glaze" sencha wan. Quite interesting glaze, with large sand particles poking out through the glaze in several places. Actually, it seems that the firefly spots tend to form around these locations.

Jul 10th, '11, 15:00

by debunix » Jul 10th, '11, 15:00

Oooh!

Jul 10th, '11, 23:01

by Tead Off » Jul 10th, '11, 23:01

Nenugal wrote:
Stentor wrote:Exceptionally beautiful Seigan piece.
+1!

I recently got this Seigan "firefly glaze" sencha wan. Quite interesting glaze, with large sand particles poking out through the glaze in several places. Actually, it seems that the firefly spots tend to form around these locations.

Gohonde is the term for these spots. I believe it is originally a Korean technique adapted by the Japanese. It's really a lovely cup!

Jul 11th, '11, 15:17

by rdl » Jul 11th, '11, 15:17

Nenugal wrote: I recently got this Seigan "firefly glaze" sencha wan.
"GOHONDE glaze is also called an alias,HOTARU(firefly),or Fawn spots."
quoting magokorodo

+ Post Reply