Rishi's Yunnan Golden Needle (pure buds)

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jul 12th, '11, 22:42

Rishi's Yunnan Golden Needle (pure buds)

by Kunkali » Jul 12th, '11, 22:42

I recently purchased this and would like to know the optimal way to brew this tea...also times for subsequent brews. I read somewhere that using one of those small yixing pots used for oolongs is optimal...also not to use boiling water...im not sure how to brew blacks at all this is new territory. Any help tips would be appreciated, thanks

Jul 12th, '11, 23:53

Re: Rishi's Yunnan Golden Needle (pure buds)

by Kunkali » Jul 12th, '11, 23:53

P.s. Is it best to brew it in clay, ceramic, or glass?

Jul 13th, '11, 08:48

by tortoise » Jul 13th, '11, 08:48

This is not a very popular tea on this forum so I would suggest doing a search for "yunnan gold" both in the forum and broader, using a search engine. I run the risk of being completely wrong, but I believe most people brew it western style; that is a smaller leaf to water ratio for a longer period of time. I don't have a clue how people brew it in China. Experience is the best teacher so try brewing it in whatever you have.
Last edited by tortoise on Jul 14th, '11, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 13th, '11, 16:56

by NOESIS » Jul 13th, '11, 16:56

I've not had the Rishi tea, but I assume that it is an all-bud type Yunnan "red" tea. If so, It's going to be delicate, so will likely taste best with a fairly high leaf:water ratio, and lower water temp. I'd try it in a gaiwan w/ 1 gram/1 ounce, and start at say 180F for 1 minute. Increase temp and time with each steep (you'll have to experiment with this). I find that these teas don't usually give more than 3 good infusions (I don't like weak tea-water). Of coarse, you might try filling a gaiwan 1/2 full, and go many "flash" infusions. :D

Jul 13th, '11, 19:09

by debunix » Jul 13th, '11, 19:09

I've enjoyed Rishi's Golden Yunnan quite a bit, and usually brew it very hot, water just off the boil, and will use a lower leaf-to-water ratio than my oolongs or green teas, expecting 1-2 infusions, maybe 3 if I really pack the brewing vessel. I've used porcelain gaiwans, glass teapots, and plastic Kamjove 'gongfu art' thingies, and it's a very forgiving tea with any of these. The key for me is brewing time and tea leaf quantity--if I brewed it long and strong it can get bitter, but I really have to overdo one or both parameters to get a bad cup.

And if you have any osmanthus leaves, it's a delightful combination. I have hardly had single cup of plain golden Yunnan since I first tried it iwth Osmanthus.

Jul 13th, '11, 19:35

by Cael » Jul 13th, '11, 19:35

I don't generally buy Rishi, but I do like a good Yunnan Golden Needle. Personally I prefer to make it 5-10 degrees under boiling with a much lower leaf to water ratio than I do my oolongs and generally in a ceramic pot, although I brew most my stuff in ceramic.

I hope you get a good brew.

Jul 13th, '11, 20:52

by Kunkali » Jul 13th, '11, 20:52

Thanks for all the replies...it is buds only and ill have to experiment with temps and time...might try it in my unglazed yixing

+ Post Reply