YS 2005 Douji "Spring Red"

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jul 15th, '11, 12:28

YS 2005 Douji "Spring Red"

by apache » Jul 15th, '11, 12:28

Just saw this on Scott site:

http://www.yunnansourcing.com/store/pro ... oduct=1782

May be Scott should limit this to no more than 2 cakes per person. :wink:

Jul 15th, '11, 12:41

Re: YS 2005 Douji "Spring Red"

by shah82 » Jul 15th, '11, 12:41

Well, that's sort of evocative of the post by Maitre_Tea...

http://maitretea.blogspot.com/2010/03/secrets.html

where everyone tries to trade on their own informational assymetries.

Unless something is very obviously limited, I think everyone should be open about what tea is good, and buy as much of it as they can. I think so because tea merchants benefit, aside from livelyhood, by having better information about what their customers like. They buy more of that stuff sooner, before wholesale price rises and are consequentially more able to offer stable or slowly increasing prices on a broad selection of pu that people generally like.

This doesn't do much good with the Man Nuo from Nada, tho' I understand this was an accidental shortfall. I also do not think people should blame Hobbes for it selling out. I was, in fact, partially *saved* by Hobbes, because I acted on his information relatively quickly. That Man Nuo just wasn't the sort of tea that people could miss the better qualities of. It would have sold out fast nonetheless, but Hobbes leveled the playing field much more than if he had acted all cagey. Now, next year, Nada might return there because he knows he has a bunch of unsatisfied customers who are chomping at the bit, and next year, he'll make enough for everyone. I think this is how things should work, and in the end, the irritating qualities of rich people buying up so many danged jians of tea will work to our benefit. They have to get tired of it at some point, and either sell their aged stock or let normal people buy good quality fresh tea. Of course, by then, we'll all know *eggsactliiii* what we want.

Jul 15th, '11, 21:52

by Tobias » Jul 15th, '11, 21:52

Oops, I just noticed that the sample I ordered earlier wasn't the spring version of this tea. Well, I already ordered two cakes so I hope I will like them anyway.

Jul 15th, '11, 22:44

by gasninja » Jul 15th, '11, 22:44

I just ordered one interested to see the difference between this and the fall red label.
Also I noticed this tea has the QS stamp on it. I thought those did not get added till 06? Was this cake pressed in 06, or am I wrong about my timeline for this?

Jul 17th, '11, 07:27

by apache » Jul 17th, '11, 07:27

I shed a few tears for this, NO, I'm NOT the one who ordered a tong!

I had the Purple version yesterday, it was a very enjoyable session.

Just find out that now Scott goes really up market, the latest YS own label is in the territory of XZH, YQH and the like! I think my bank manager going to give me a phone call soon.

Jul 17th, '11, 08:03

by TuoChaTea » Jul 17th, '11, 08:03

apache wrote:Just find out that now Scott goes really up market, the latest YS own label is in the territory of XZH, YQH and the like! I think my bank manager going to give me a phone call soon.
Do you have any tips on YS cakes? Which are the best?

Jul 17th, '11, 10:32

by apache » Jul 17th, '11, 10:32

TuoChaTea wrote:
apache wrote:Just find out that now Scott goes really up market, the latest YS own label is in the territory of XZH, YQH and the like! I think my bank manager going to give me a phone call soon.
Do you have any tips on YS cakes? Which are the best?
I wish you would ask someone else this question, like shah82 or Hobbes (on the other forum) or MarshalN or TIM (he probably only drinks something much better than this), I feel inadequate to give you an answer on this. Also, I only sampled a small selection of his productions.

But if you must ask my 1 penny worth of opinion, I would say I like the 2009 Gua Fung Zhai which I haven't tried for sometime, must do some more tasting on this one and the 2010 XiKong. I got some sample and a cake of 2010 Wan Kong Zhai, but I haven't got round to try it out yet. (When it comes to tasting and sampling new stuffs, I'm pretty 'lazy', normally I just stick with tea I know and enjoy to drink in case thing goes wrong and 'wasted' a whole day drinking stuff I 'hate'. Life is too short!)

I know those teas I mentioned is no longer on the open market, but I think Scott very likely will go back to the same area for material to produce cakes. This year production just coming out and you can look out for those.

Hope this help.

Jul 17th, '11, 10:58

by Tobias » Jul 17th, '11, 10:58

apache wrote:I shed a few tears for this, NO, I'm NOT the one who ordered a tong!
Just one tŏng left now.
TuoChaTea wrote: Do you have any tips on YS cakes? Which are the best?
I liked the sample of the 2011 Ai Lao I got with my last order.

Jul 17th, '11, 11:43

by shah82 » Jul 17th, '11, 11:43

Eeehhh...

I consider Scott to have very funky tastebuds. Also, his cakes tends to be much better early than later in the session. Few tend to have good back-ends of sessions. However, Scott has improved on his productions from year to year.

Also, the leaves, good or bad, that tends to go into superpremium bings are not generally available to people like Nada or Scott, at least not without hard social work. Does not mean that superpremium leaves are always better (when they are good, they usually are), or that Nada/Scott can't get his hands on something like the Nadacha Guafengzhai, which exhibits the sort of richness that I associate with superpremium leaves.

Having said all that, I'm pretty unlikely to buy any more cakes this year, and I will lower the amount of cakes I'll buy next year. I literally have so many super-premium cakes that I can afford to drink the good stuff everyday if I wanted, which is nice. I'm also more likely to simply raid Taobao for 2006 and before cakes. There are quite a few decent but forgotten cakes there. The price shock for new cakes is just tremendous. You can get really nice cakes from Wistaria Tea House for $100-$130, and they'd be from 2005 and 2007, already with some aging. I got some relatively top of the line Jingmai for $84 last year. The XZH Yiwu Chawang is still $125 for 2007 material @Houde. $90 for a YS Gao Shan Zhai, when it was $74 for a 2007 Gao Shan Zhai from not-incompetent people last year at YS.

Those leaves had better be good, and I would guess that they are, but I do not trust Scott as much as I would Nada on how reasonable the prices are. When Nada went and said, "Oh, and here's a Guafengzhai", and I merely opened my wallet and asked how much. That's because Nada productions have never disappointed me for the money, while YS has. Sometimes, Nadacha well exceeds expectations, like $65 for that Man Nuo. I thought that was expensive, but not after I drink it. I've never been that pleasantly surprised by YS, either, aside from maybe the Xikong. I bought that blind 'cause I figured it's similar to and better than the Gedeng sample I had, and that worked out. However, in general, if I were in the market, I'd buy samples first--and concentrate on the lincangs. If YS sells out before I got a chance to buy a bing, I'm not going to cry. It's pretty bad business for Scott to have those unfortunate delays in making bings. Every moment they aren't out there, fishing for bucks in the crazy market that's today's Puercha, is a yuan not in Scott's pocket.

Jul 17th, '11, 12:32

by shah82 » Jul 17th, '11, 12:32

Only just now noticed Scott put up the Yiwu and Bingdao area tea. Already $15 more than I had expected for the Yiwu!

Jul 18th, '11, 08:34

by apache » Jul 18th, '11, 08:34

Just checked, now all 2005 Douji "Spring Red" cakes, but samples, are gone! :shock:

Jul 18th, '11, 09:24

by MarshalN » Jul 18th, '11, 09:24

Not too surprised, it's a nice cake for the price.

Jul 18th, '11, 09:38

by apache » Jul 18th, '11, 09:38

MarshalN wrote:Not too surprised, it's a nice cake for the price.
I'm not too surprised it sold out, but by the speed it's gone. Literally just over the weekend, more than 20 cakes. No time for a second thought or hasitation.

Jul 18th, '11, 10:39

by shah82 » Jul 18th, '11, 10:39

At least people who love Yiwu are able to get older, well processed leaves, if they have a fast enough trigger.

Lately, what has really amazed me is just how few older, well-processed Bulangs (non LBZ,'cause LBZ doesn't have much bitterness) there are.

Jul 18th, '11, 22:29

by nickE » Jul 18th, '11, 22:29

I may have ordered one of Yunnan Sourcing's Gaoshanzhai yesterday... it was an impulse fueled by massive regret in passing up Nada's GFZ. Who needs money, right?

Picked up a Douji Red Yisheng too.

+ Post Reply