Real or Fake Dayi? Pros and Cons of collecting Dayi?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jul 15th, '11, 21:50

Real or Fake Dayi? Pros and Cons of collecting Dayi?

by auhckw » Jul 15th, '11, 21:50

I bought a UV device and randomly took some of my Dayi to scan. I found out some doesn't respond to the UV light. Is it possible that it is by purpose it doesn't respond or fake... hmm....
Last edited by auhckw on Jul 19th, '11, 14:30, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 15th, '11, 21:51

Re: Real or Fake Dayi?

by auhckw » Jul 15th, '11, 21:51

Eg.

Doesn't Respond

2010 – 大益五子登科 – 熟普洱
2010 – Da Yi Wu Zi Deng Ke – Ripe Pu-erh

2010 – 大益一级散茶 – 熟普洱
2010 – Da Yi Yi Ji San Cha – Ripe Pu-erh

2007 – 大益陳韻青饼茶 – 青普洱
2007 – Da Yi Chen Yun Qing Bing Cha – Raw Pu-erh

Edit: More findings
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 62#p202862
Last edited by auhckw on Jul 20th, '11, 12:08, edited 2 times in total.

Jul 15th, '11, 21:51

by auhckw » Jul 15th, '11, 21:51

Respond

2007 – 大益0712 – 青普洱
2007 – Da Yi 0712 – Raw Pu-erh

2008 – 大益7532 – 青普洱
2008 – Da Yi 7532 – Raw Pu-erh

2009 – 大益7542 – 青普洱
2009 – Da Yi 7542 – Raw Pu-erh

2011 – 大益勐海之春 – 青普洱
2011 – Da Yi Meng Hai Zhi Chun – Raw Pu-erh

Last edited by auhckw on Jul 16th, '11, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 16th, '11, 03:12

by David R. » Jul 16th, '11, 03:12

I am sure even holograms can be faked :lol:

Jul 16th, '11, 04:49

by apache » Jul 16th, '11, 04:49

Have you tried it on "Golden Age"?

I would open them and brew and taste them for sure.

Or you could order Dayi from Scott of YS, we all know him doesn't sell fake. :wink:

Jul 16th, '11, 09:52

by auhckw » Jul 16th, '11, 09:52

David R. wrote:I am sure even holograms can be faked :lol:
Indeed. Fake Golden Age raw sticker has hologram
apache wrote:Have you tried it on "Golden Age"?

I would open them and brew and taste them for sure.

Or you could order Dayi from Scott of YS, we all know him doesn't sell fake. :wink:
I will try to scan the Golden Age Ripe and Raw later.

I heard that some of the older stickers doesn't respond to UV light, but the 2 ripe example above is y2010... hmm

Anyway, I don't know Scott, if you do know him can you check whether his this respond to UV
http://www.yunnansourcing.com/store/pro ... roduct=800

Jul 16th, '11, 11:33

by odarwin » Jul 16th, '11, 11:33

by golden age you mean the 70th anniv menghai raw cake?

i was told that there were several different production dates (4-5), almost just a gap of 1 day each in production but all from the same batch. i was told that the production date of the cakes that cloud reviewed had slight difference in security features than the other production days, but all the same cake are genuine. some of the difference were the position of the hole in the paper tong wrapper and the extra layer of carton under the plastic handle on the cover flap of the box, other than that, everything is the same.

im sure that by the way this cake is being talked about, more and more fakes would eventually come out, and i would think that every feature may possibly be imitated except for the actual tea cake.

Jul 16th, '11, 11:38

by apache » Jul 16th, '11, 11:38

odarwin wrote:by golden age you mean the 70th anniv menghai raw cake?
Yes, the 70th anniv. Menghai raw.
odarwin wrote:im sure that by the way this cake is being talked about, more and more fakes would eventually come out, and i would think that every feature may possibly be imitated except for the actual tea cake.
Heaven forbid and I hope it doesn't happen: shops could give you real samples to taste in the shop, but sell you a different cake. That's why always taste and sample what you bought, the sense of your mouth will never ever lie to you.

Jul 16th, '11, 12:37

by auhckw » Jul 16th, '11, 12:37

apache wrote:
odarwin wrote:im sure that by the way this cake is being talked about, more and more fakes would eventually come out, and i would think that every feature may possibly be imitated except for the actual tea cake.
Heaven forbid and I hope it doesn't happen: shops could give you real samples to taste in the shop, but sell you a different cake. That's why always taste and sample what you bought, the sense of your mouth will never ever lie to you.
Some of the shops here are reputable, so chance of them giving something to try and sell you something else is slim... the problem is with the entire batch being wrong.

I always have this in my mind... even if you do try it how would you know it is real or not? The tea can taste good, ppl may have swap a different Dayi and put it inside. You have not tasted it elsewhere and no one else has it but that shop... it can be hard for you to know is real or fake by sense of your mouth.

Imagine you are drinking Coke for the first time, but i were to serve you Pepsi... how would you know that the Coke is not Coke? Even if you do try Coke elsewhere, how good are you to tell that is Coke and not Pepsi? They are quite similar.

Another example, if you have not drank the Golden Age y2010, I were to send you 7542 y2010 and tell you it is Golden Age... how good are to tell that is not Golden Age?

Jul 16th, '11, 12:58

by auhckw » Jul 16th, '11, 12:58

i was told that there were several different production dates (4-5), almost just a gap of 1 day each in production but all from the same batch. i was told that the production date of the cakes that cloud reviewed had slight difference in security features than the other production days, but all the same cake are genuine. some of the difference were the position of the hole in the paper tong wrapper and the extra layer of carton under the plastic handle on the cover flap of the box, other than that, everything is the same.

im sure that by the way this cake is being talked about, more and more fakes would eventually come out, and i would think that every feature may possibly be imitated except for the actual tea cake.
That Golden Age tea is very risky to buy now. Actually any Dayi tea that is famous which is out in the market for 6 months, have to be careful. Chances of fakes are higher. It is always good to buy it when it is newly released where chances of fakes are lower.

Regarding Batch, eg 901... sometimes the order is too big and they couldn't produce everything in one go, so the dates can differ by few days (gap of 1 day). Everything in the design of the wrapper and box is the same just that the date printed is different. I have not noticed same batch with diff date that differs. Also, wouldn't it be illogical for the factory to do it? That will cause so much confusion and more cost in printing. It is understandable if the design could differ if it is diff batch 901, 902... these are some thought, I could be wrong :mrgreen:

Jul 16th, '11, 13:17
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Jul 16th, '11, 13:17

That's a problem of Dayi. It has been clarified by many tea Chinese drinkers (among themselves) after their individual phone calls to Dayi. It turns out even after Dayi issued the laser mark thing, Dayi themselves hadn't managed to standardized their laser marks yet. So it's not rare an authentic Dayi's label doesn't show the laser thing. But of course it's also common a fake Dayi label doesn't show the laser thing either (unless they fake so well).

But then, what's the point for Dayi to use the laser thing when they themselves still had such big lag in laserize their own labels? :mrgreen:

Jul 17th, '11, 00:04

by MarshalN » Jul 17th, '11, 00:04

Auhckw: One word of advice -- stop buying Dayi. You have enough for a few lifetimes, and there's no reason to get more.

Jul 17th, '11, 02:26

by odarwin » Jul 17th, '11, 02:26

auhckw wrote:

That Golden Age tea is very risky to buy now. Actually any Dayi tea that is famous which is out in the market for 6 months, have to be careful. Chances of fakes are higher. It is always good to buy it when it is newly released where chances of fakes are lower.

Regarding Batch, eg 901... sometimes the order is too big and they couldn't produce everything in one go, so the dates can differ by few days (gap of 1 day). Everything in the design of the wrapper and box is the same just that the date printed is different. I have not noticed same batch with diff date that differs. Also, wouldn't it be illogical for the factory to do it? That will cause so much confusion and more cost in printing. It is understandable if the design could differ if it is diff batch 901, 902... these are some thought, I could be wrong :mrgreen:
well, it would be nice for you to try and find out what the difference in security features are in the different production dates... since you have good access to physical tea shops there in KL, you can hunt down all the shops that carry 70th anniv cake and bring notes (clouds notes for reference point) and see how each production dates security feature differ from one another... what was informed to me was that printing were all the same... just some things are different the position of the hole of the tong wrapper and the additional layer of carton in the cover flap of the tong box. as i know, the dates are 10, 12, 14 and 16 there could be one more but i dont know what date that is

Jul 17th, '11, 07:51

by apache » Jul 17th, '11, 07:51

MarshalN wrote:Auhckw: One word of advice -- stop buying Dayi. You have enough for a few lifetimes, and there's no reason to get more.
Please don't take it as an offence, I have to agree with one of our most experience pu drinkers in this forum.

For me, most modern Dayi shengs taste pretty much the same and I won't be surprise if they are just similar teas wrapped in different fancy paper and packaging. After all Dayi is just one big commercial organisation, not quite mutli-national yet, but pretty much like Starbucks coffee, it's all about marketing and maximising profit and investment return for share holders.

Whether it's real and fake, in a way it's irrelevant. Now I'm a believer who believes you can tell a sheng is good or bad even when it is new (say only one or two years old). If the material inside the wrapper is good, who cares. But if a cake is fake, the possibility of it has better material is very small.

Jul 17th, '11, 09:42

by auhckw » Jul 17th, '11, 09:42

No offence taken for the advices. Buying Dayi is my personal preference. Beside buying them for drinking, I like to buy them for collection. Like anything worth collecting, the feeling of seeing something getting sought after and price appreciated is kind of nice. Not like I have enough to sell, but I like it.

As for taste, I do agree that Dayi tea has the similarity. They call it the ‘Menghai/Dayi’ taste which only Menghai/Dayi has it. Depending on the recipe, the taste may differ a little. Some of them taste very similar, but some you can tell them it is special.

Reasons I don’t buy others often is because I already have few KGs of non big factory which is more than enough for me now. Moreover, like some already know, we get to drink free tea here from young to aged easily. We can easily ask samples to take home too, I have a full bag of samples…

That said, I like many non Dayi… just that I don’t intend to buy them yet as I can get to drink them often and buying Dayi is part of my collecting preference.

Tea is a very personal thing. You can like it, I may not...vice versa. Drink what you like, buy what you like 8)

+ Post Reply