Mon/Tues TeaDay 7/18-19/11 To preheat or not to preheat?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. Do you preheat your pot, cups before brewing? Please share.

Yes, teapots
11%
Yes, cups
No votes
Yes, pots and cups
50%
Maybe, depends
32%
Nope, neither
7%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 28

Jul 18th, '11, 02:10
Scrolling: scrolling

Mon/Tues TeaDay 7/18-19/11 To preheat or not to preheat?

by Chip » Jul 18th, '11, 02:10

Greetings dear TeaFriends! Please do drop into TeaDay and share what is in your cup througout the day. Also discuss the day's topic!

Yesterday we discussed whether we buy tea in a canister or pouch. You can still vote and discuss yesterday's topic.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. Do you preheat your pot, cups before brewing? Please share.

We are looking forward to sharing this Teaday with everyone. Bottoms up.

Jul 18th, '11, 02:31
Vendor Member

Re: Monday TeaDay 7/18/11 To preheat or not to preheat?

by Xell » Jul 18th, '11, 02:31

With kyusu and my favorite yunomi most of the time i preheat simple because i'm cooling down water this way. But with matcha i almost always skip preheating, especially in morning. Maybe will have to preheat in winter, but now it's fine.

Yesterday prepared some cold brew genmaicha and left it in fridge overnight, now enjoying it with a lot of ice :)

Jul 18th, '11, 05:24

by Nenugal » Jul 18th, '11, 05:24

I always preheat the chawan as a part of the "ceremony" when making matcha, but with other tea I usually do not bother with it unless it is some particularly "difficult" tea. Now I'm drinking some saemidori from un-preheated kyusu and cups.

Jul 18th, '11, 09:27

by JRS22 » Jul 18th, '11, 09:27

I preheat when I'm making Gyokuro. I purchased a shiboridashi set with a water cooler and appropriately sized cups and I do preheat both the shiboridashi and cups. With all other teas I experiment until I have the correct temperature w/o preheating.

Right now I'm finishing the Asa-Giri while listening for the doorbell. If all goes well I'll be drinking OTTI shincha this afternoon!

Jul 18th, '11, 13:38

by Poohblah » Jul 18th, '11, 13:38

I like to preheat when drinking oolongs, especially dan congs, since putting dry leaves into a hot gaiwan really enhances the aroma. I think it makes drinking the tea more enjoyable.

Of course I do not bother for most everyday teas.

Jul 18th, '11, 16:52

by debunix » Jul 18th, '11, 16:52

I preheat more often than not when I am brewing in a ceramic pot, in part because that usually means it's a more relaxed session at home. And almost always preheat for my morning sencha, where the sniff at the start of heating leaves is such a pleasant part of the ritual.

Now drinking some Rou Gui from Jing Tea Shop, unceremoniously brewed in a plastic Kamjove, from a thermos cup.

Jul 18th, '11, 17:00

by strickmr » Jul 18th, '11, 17:00

Preheating the pot is my favorite part. Smelling the leaves warming is one of my favorite things about brewing tea. Preheating the cup usually just comes with the pot. I never skip either. It seems like I usually have better results, at least more consistent results, than I do otherwise.

Jul 18th, '11, 17:28

by teaisme » Jul 18th, '11, 17:28

Most of the teas I drink I preheat the pot before the rinse (if rinse is necessary). I usually just fill 1/4 though and shake. For balled oolongs though I make sure to fill at least 3/4 capacity of pot before the rinse and let it sit in pot till its hot, hot, hot. Cups I just use the preheat water, then the rinse water. I make sure to blow or scrape the floatsies off the top and not use the sediment on the bottom though so that it does not leave any pieces behind in the cups.

Hugo's ruby red
Very nice, very nice.

Wish you all a good day :mrgreen:

Jul 18th, '11, 22:39

by Chip » Jul 18th, '11, 22:39

I virtually always preheat the pot ... then smell the warming leaves. This is habit, ritual ... ah hell, I just love it.

Oddly, as the first steep is brewing, I usually pour hot water into cup(s) which is not wasted, but poured into the yuzamashi for second steeps. This works well for sencha and other greens.

Began the TD with Yame from OTTI 10 with the Mrs., smelling the incredible aroma of the warming leaves in the preheated kyusu.

Next up, SakiMidori organic fukamushi ...

Jul 18th, '11, 23:19

by Skippyandjif » Jul 18th, '11, 23:19

Neither-- I've gotten all but two of my cups secondhand, so I don't know what kind of preheating they'll withstand. The two I bought new only have care instructions in Chinese and Japanese, so I also don't know how to safely preheat them.

I don't mind not preheating them, though.

Yunnan black tea when I woke up (and after the power came back on...yay, heat-related blackout); absolutely-oh-my-god a TON of iced green tea because it was disgustingly hot here today and I decided to play Dance Dance Revolution anyway; currently brewing up a rosehip tisane.

Jul 19th, '11, 01:35

by Chip » Jul 19th, '11, 01:35

This topic is not preheated, so it will carryover to day two on Tuesday.

Please stop in to TeaDay and share what is in your cup with us.

Also discuss the topic of the day.

As a bonus, discuss why you do or do not preheat. And is this method a change from a previous time? Please share.

We continue to look forward to sharing this TeaDay with everyone. Bottoms up.

Jul 19th, '11, 08:40

Re: Mon/Tues TeaDay 7/18-19/11 To preheat or not to preheat?

by brlarson » Jul 19th, '11, 08:40

I always preheat both pot and cup(s) because preheating gives me more control over the the final result. I suppose it may not be necessary at the extreme low temperature end, like with gyokuro brewed near room temperature (100F), but I do it anyway.

Drinking more Zencha's Ultimate shincha this morning.

Jul 19th, '11, 10:02

by tortoise » Jul 19th, '11, 10:02

I will sometimes not pre-heat cups depending on the tea. With floral oolongs I usually do not pre-heat cups because I believe the tea tastes better when it is drunk slightly cooler than the temp at which it's brewed.

Last night I had the big and round Da Yu Ling from FLT, followed by a session with their second place Bao Zhong. The BZ has a strong, sulphur-like smell that lightens into a high floral note. The sulphur does not carry over to the sweet, floral taste. Both teas had more body than I expected. DYL is purty amaything.

Currently, I am drinking the world's worst coffee at work since I waay overslept this morning and am still feeling foggy.

Jul 19th, '11, 16:39

by Chip » Jul 19th, '11, 16:39

Happy Happy Happy
John and Bob_McBob

TD continues here with lotys of PreHeating goin' on! :mrgreen:

Began the TD with SakiMidori organic fuka fromthe O-C with the Mrs. Next up, an OTTI tasting of Yame fuka from Xell.