With what oolong better to start?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jul 18th, '11, 12:00
Vendor Member

With what oolong better to start?

by Xell » Jul 18th, '11, 12:00

Currently i'm drinking a lot of Japanese green teas, but looking for some additional evening teas and just simply started to get curious. I do enjoy smoky and spicy taste of houjicha, roasted green tea.

Can anyone suggest some choices for first meeting with oolong? :) I would like some good quality one, got already used to smooth and rich flavor of first flush green teas :roll:

Jul 18th, '11, 12:20

Re: With what oolong better to start?

by Tead Off » Jul 18th, '11, 12:20

Xell wrote:Currently i'm drinking a lot of Japanese green teas, but looking for some additional evening teas and just simply started to get curious. I do enjoy smoky and spicy taste of houjicha, roasted green tea.

Can anyone suggest some choices for first meeting with oolong? :) I would like some good quality one, got already used to smooth and rich flavor of first flush green teas :roll:
Tie Guan Yin (TGY). I would get both a greener one and what they call traditional, a roasted one. Both are full of flavor and aroma. This is one tea I find hard to imagine someone not liking.
Then I would find a good Taiwanese high mountain oolong like Da Yu Ling or Shan li Xing, and a good Dong Ding.
Finally, look for a Shui Xian Wuyi tea that is at least a few years old. A good one is a very memorable experience.

Jul 18th, '11, 13:48

by David R. » Jul 18th, '11, 13:48

Tead Off gave you good advices I think. A good roasted TGY is easy to brew and gives wonderful results. It is a good way to explore the roasted side of wulong, along with yancha. Traditional Dong Ding is great too to explore oxidised teas. On the green side, Da Yu Ling or Li Shan.

My advice : don't bother with low quality teas. If it is going to be a first encounter, just treat yourself with some nice leaves.

Jul 18th, '11, 14:57

by Kunkali » Jul 18th, '11, 14:57

Try tea from taiwan's dong ding ming xian...itll blow you away

Jul 20th, '11, 00:30
Vendor Member

by Xell » Jul 20th, '11, 00:30

For Taiwanese oolongs i guess http://www.teafromtaiwan.com is good choice? They have nice sample packs, probably i'll get Chong Pei sample pack and throw in a 7g sampler of Da Yu Ling.

But can anyone suggest good place to get TGY? :)

Jul 20th, '11, 02:56

by Nenugal » Jul 20th, '11, 02:56

Xell wrote:For Taiwanese oolongs i guess http://www.teafromtaiwan.com is good choice? They have nice sample packs, probably i'll get Chong Pei sample pack and throw in a 7g sampler of Da Yu Ling.

But can anyone suggest good place to get TGY? :)
I have bought a lot of great TGY from Wan Ling Tea House - see http://www.wanlingteahouse.com/section. ... ng-harvest , and particularly the Jiu Jiu Jiu TGY is a favourite.

Jul 20th, '11, 06:24

by David R. » Jul 20th, '11, 06:24

I have never ordered from teafromtaiwan so I cannot help you here.

My suppliers are Teamasters and Hojo. The former has a great roasted TGY ang gao shan cha in general (and hong shui oolong which are worth trying), the latter the best dong ding I have ever tasted and some breathtaking gao shan, among other things. No green TGY in their selections though.

Jul 20th, '11, 06:57
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Jul 20th, '11, 06:57

Xell wrote:For Taiwanese oolongs i guess http://www.teafromtaiwan.com is good choice?
Yep, Kunkali was referring to that website, in particular their dong ding ming xian.

I ordered for the first time from them a couple of months ago and got about 6 different types. They are pretty much all really great. Even the cheapest 'four seasons' one is nice.

If you like the smoky and spicy qualities of houjicha, you might enjoy a more roasted oolong, like da hong pao ('big red robe')...

Aug 10th, '11, 00:29

by bagua7 » Aug 10th, '11, 00:29

I would add to the list a good quality high-roasted Alishan...this tea will provide the spicy factor you are after. :wink:

+ Post Reply