Jul 3rd, '11, 15:33

Re: TA SO 3 Petr Novák Wood Fired Shino Collection

by debunix » Jul 3rd, '11, 15:33

Chip wrote:Yes, the rough sandy clay used, the thin, well crafted construction, and the crawling shino glaze do not make for bomb proof pots! A little extra care should be used, IMHO.
I am quite glad that I spent my first two years of getting more seriously into tea breaking and cracking glass teapots and teakettles and cheap porcelain gaiwans before I felt ready to for some nicer pieces....but I still lost a very nice gaiwan recently. And these Petr-yaki are the first I've had with anything as fragile-looking as the crawling shino glaze.

Not sure if I'd be comfortable with a glue in a part of the pot that will be exposed to the hot wet tea with every pour--vs a lid where the contact is less direct and frequent. I like the filing idea, but with this glaze that seems so loosely attached, I'd worry about vibrations loosening some additional bits, quite different than the smooth-clay tokoname pots I have. Perhaps some masking tape around the areas near the spout just back from what you'll be filing, so provide some extra support to help keep them from coming off?

Jul 13th, '11, 17:46

by senchalover » Jul 13th, '11, 17:46

Got My stuff today. :) Petr your work is beautiful. I want more. Very nice work I will cherish it.

Thank You
Petr

Jul 14th, '11, 04:08

by Petr Novák » Jul 14th, '11, 04:08

Senchalo... wrote:Got My stuff today. :) Petr your work is beautiful. I want more. Very nice work I will cherish it.

Thank You
Petr
Thanks to you Senchalo...!! As well as thanks to all who participate on this SO. It seems to me that economy packages are slowly getting to new homes. I hope that all will be in good shape and will bring enjoyment to your lives.

Enjoy your day
Petr

Jul 14th, '11, 20:52

by senchalover » Jul 14th, '11, 20:52

Tried it today and it works great. it is going to make it hard to drink out of anything else. :)

Jul 14th, '11, 21:45

by nickE » Jul 14th, '11, 21:45

Mine's sitting at the post office. Going to pick it up on Saturday. :mrgreen:

Jul 19th, '11, 23:42
Scrolling: scrolling

by Geekgirl » Jul 19th, '11, 23:42

Got my cups today! They are beautiful!

Jul 20th, '11, 00:32

by Cammie » Jul 20th, '11, 00:32

Geekgirl wrote:Got my cups today! They are beautiful!
Cool :) Sadly, I'm still waiting...don't think I'll choose economy shipping again.

Jul 20th, '11, 11:50

by debunix » Jul 20th, '11, 11:50

Glad to hear they're still arriving. I have a second shipment on the way, and am trying not to get to anxious about it.

Jul 20th, '11, 13:19

by Petr Novák » Jul 20th, '11, 13:19

I am sorry to hear that some pots are still not delivered. Hope to hear better news soon.
debunix wrote:Glad to hear they're still arriving. I have a second shipment on the way, and am trying not to get to anxious about it.
-I have send the second box as priority so it should be close to you...I am going to find tracking number and check it out.

Enjoy your day
Petr

Jul 20th, '11, 14:36

by debunix » Jul 20th, '11, 14:36

No worries, Petr, as my mail has been held at the post office for a bit while I am away, it quite possibly will be there with my next delivery.

Jul 20th, '11, 20:52

by Cammie » Jul 20th, '11, 20:52

Petr, I received a notice today that the package has arrived at my local post office. I'll swing by and pick it up tomorrow....can't wait to see the teaware. :) Thank you so much.

Jul 23rd, '11, 14:21

by debunix » Jul 23rd, '11, 14:21

Enjoying my new shiboridashi, which arrived last night, along with a rather glorious big brother of a bowl. The sencha tastes extra rich and fine and sweet this morning, not sure how much that is due to the lovely effects of the shiboridashi on the water and how much is due to the happiness of the day making everything seem brighter.

Photos soon.

Jul 26th, '11, 15:55

by nickE » Jul 26th, '11, 15:55

It took me a while to decide what type of tea this shibo should be used for. At first I was thinking Sencha, but I have a kyusu already that I like very much, and 3oz. is pretty small for Sencha. I ended up doing some tests, brewing plain water in the shibo and in porcelain. The shibo seemed to emphasize the "lower end" and added a mineral-y taste to the water.

I tried the pot first with young Sheng brewed alongside the same tea in a gaiwan and found that, indeed, the bottom end was heavier but some of the higher notes were muted as well. 3oz. is also a bit large for young Sheng IMO.

After this, I gave it a go with some Dayi 7452 Shupu. This worked wonderfully, and I've since dedicated the pot to Shu Puerh.

Gorgeous glaze.

Brewing the last of my sample of Nada's new Shu. It pours beautifully.

Jul 30th, '11, 20:22

by debunix » Jul 30th, '11, 20:22

The whole family at home together now, including a Chawan that happened to find it's way into a 2nd shipment....

New items are the Shiboridashi

and the chawan

I've been enjoying the shiboridashi the last few days, trying it with sencha, white tea, and green tea, and so far it has been a magical combination with the Zhejiang green tea that I've been raving about elsewhere in the forum. I intend to keep the kyusu with sencha, but the shibo will be used for various green teas.

Because I haven't yet made peace with matcha, the chawan will find other ways to show off its beauty for now.

Jul 30th, '11, 22:06

by lkj23 » Jul 30th, '11, 22:06

wow I love that chawan, is it not from this TA SO, right?

beautiful family :D :D :D

+ Post Reply