Wed/Thur TeaDay 7/20-21/11 How the West was won?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

So, what are your thoughts on the tea that seemingly started it all in the western world. Many of us started with black tea. So, share with everyone where you stand on black tea today!

I love black tea, it is clearly my fav and I have it several times a day
6%
I start virtually every day with a black tea, so I guess I love it
3%
I really like black tea having it most days
13%
I like black tea, having it more days than not
23%
I used to really like black tea, but I seem to have moved on to other teas
42%
I tried black tea but do not care for it
6%
No, believe it or not, I have not had black tea, I guess I should try it
6%
Nope...and not in a rush to try it either
No votes

Total votes: 31

Jul 20th, '11, 01:30
Scrolling: scrolling

Wed/Thur TeaDay 7/20-21/11 How the West was won?

by Chip » Jul 20th, '11, 01:30

Welcome everyone to TeaDay. Grab a cup, tell us what is in it, and see what everyone else is drinking. I don't know which is funner, bragging about what is in my cup or being jealous about what is in everyone elses.

Remember, everyone is welcome to TeaDay, so even if you are new to tea or TeaChat, please feel free to join in...it is a great way to get to know everyone and to get known!

Post throughout the day as your cup of tea changes ...

SO, today's TeaPoll and discussion topic So, what are your thoughts on the tea that seemingly started it all in the western world. Many of us started with black tea. So, share with everyone where you stand on black tea today!

I am looking forward to sharing TeaDay with everyone!

Jul 20th, '11, 08:17

Re: Wednesday TeaDay 7/20/11 How the West was won?

by brlarson » Jul 20th, '11, 08:17

We need another option ``other''.

I like black tea but rarely drink it because it has too much caffeine for me and because I don't like any black teas as much as I do the greens oolong whites and yellows that I normally drink.

Hibiki-an's farmer's shincha is coming up.

Jul 20th, '11, 11:15

by JRS22 » Jul 20th, '11, 11:15

I had a brief love affair with flavored black tea before I joined Teachat and discovered fine green tea. My "love object" was chocolate black tea from Harney's, made with a mild Chinese black. I would probably still enjoy it, but there's so much great tea that I don't have time in my tea day for it any longer.

Began the day with a shincha from the OTTI. When I reduced the leaf and time enough to eliminate the bitterness I may have also reduced the flavor to below the point of detection.

Jul 20th, '11, 11:45

by Chip » Jul 20th, '11, 11:45

Every day for several years began with black tea. Keemun was my favorite pick me to start the day, but also really like the Darjeeling-like black teas as well.

As I began to discover better green teas from better sources, green moved into the morning slot ...
JRS22 wrote:... but there's so much great tea that I don't have time in my tea day for it any longer.
... yeah, a lot like that. But I still like black teas.

JRS22 wrote:Began the day with a shincha from the OTTI. When I reduced the leaf and time enough to eliminate the bitterness I may have also reduced the flavor to below the point of detection.
Oh no! Now that is quite the conundrum, or is this a catch-22? :shock:

Began the TD with Yame from OTTI with the Mrs. which was balanced and quite good.

Sushi lunch with genmaicha is in the plans!

Jul 20th, '11, 12:06

by artmom » Jul 20th, '11, 12:06

No surprise here, Chip. :lol:

Black tea is how I began my TeaLife as a child; went on drinking black tea for many years. Over the years I branched out seeking better black tea. Then, in the age of the internet, I have branched out to many other teas; white, greens, oolongs.

I am becoming a fan of the darker oolongs.

And I'm going to try greens again. I'm sure there must be some greens somewhere that I will enjoy! :D

Golden Lion Assam here so far today. Yum.

Lyn

Jul 20th, '11, 12:13

by debunix » Jul 20th, '11, 12:13

I need another option.

I do like, even love some black teas (Yunnan golds, and some fanastically fruity blacks from Taiwan), but until a few weeks ago I was convinced that Assamese black teas were all just a terrible bait & switch--great smell, bitter taste. Then I tried an Assam I was given as a gift--and all the giver knew about it was that it was from Assam--and dilute enough, brewed briefly, it was delicious.

I am not sure where to go with this revelation.

So....I like a few select black teas, treated respectfully, but still am phobic about the majority of them.

Today, starting with Jin Guan Yin oolong from Norbu, a fantastically rich, sweet green oolong.

Jul 20th, '11, 12:48
Vendor Member

by Xell » Jul 20th, '11, 12:48

Cheap teabags count? :lol: That's probably all i had before going to Japan :) Can't really base my opinion on teabags. So now i have opportunity to try some new quality teas, going to try few Darjeeling's, most likely Assam too. Though first i'll get Taiwanese oolongs :)

It's wasn't that hot today, so i enjoyed many sessions of Japanese green teas, morning started with Ureshino tamaryokucha, a bit latter more five infusions of Yame sencha, matcha in the middle of day, had also lots of genmaicha during my meals. And to finish it off one more bowl of Yame matcha, but this time higher grade one.

Jul 20th, '11, 14:05

by entropyembrace » Jul 20th, '11, 14:05

I used to drink black tea all the time...and I still like black tea but I don´t drink it nearly as often as I used to. Now I drink mostly young raw puerh and Japanese green teas.

Jul 20th, '11, 14:14

by teaisme » Jul 20th, '11, 14:14

Still so much to explore in the black tea world, makes me smile just thinking about all the deliciousness I have yet to try. love it.
Been on a darjeeling stint these past few months and have really enjoyed three of them so far.

I started with oolong though. Blacks will always be around. Along with greens, oolongs, and newly found puerh.

Some otti shincha #2 in the plans for tea at work...either that or some puerh. We will see how I feel after I eat.

Jul 20th, '11, 16:33

by fracol » Jul 20th, '11, 16:33

Yes, I would say that most of my mornings start out with black tea. I don't get all critical about it though. It is more of a comfort thing than anything else. So I will just put some relatively cheap loose leaf tea from Yunnan usually, let it steep 3-4 minutes in a tea pot, take out the strainer. Pour a cup and add sugar. Yes...I add sugar to my morning black tea again its a comfort thing. I wouldn't dream of doing that with any other type of tea.

Then for the rest of the day I will drink some other types of teas. I generally fell like my pallet wouldn't be able to pick up subtle flavors in the morning anyway. I am not a morning person. :roll:

Jul 20th, '11, 20:34

by FlyedPiper » Jul 20th, '11, 20:34

The only black tea I drink is the occasional homemade masala chai in the cooler months. And I use cheap lipton teabags :shock: . If someone offers iced tea it is always black tea around here, although iced green teas are getting popular in RTD teas.

I don't care for black tea as much as oolong (which has enough caffiene for me as it is) and greens, but it would still be my preference over coffee, even the cheap bagged stuff. I still like "suntea" like I used to drink when I was a kid. I think black and oolong teas make the best iced teas IMO.

Jul 20th, '11, 23:32

by Skippyandjif » Jul 20th, '11, 23:32

I love black tea. If we're counting pu-erh as black tea, it's how I start almost every day; pu-erh doesn't count, I have Yunnan black tea almost half the time anyway. I don't like a lot of black teas, but the few I like...I LOVE. :lol: (Earl Grey, Lady Grey, Yunnan, rose congou, pu-erh if it counts!!!, lapsang souchong.)

Started today with some Yunnan black tea; drank soooooo much iced green tea because yaaaaaay heat wave :lol: ; making the last of my mugicha right now... Can't wait until I go back to NYC and can pick up some more.

Jul 21st, '11, 00:53

by Chip » Jul 21st, '11, 00:53

Great TeaDay finished with something not black. SakiMidori organic fukamushi.

Currently SLT ...

Jul 21st, '11, 00:59

Re: Wed/Thur TeaDay 7/20-21/11 How the West was won?

by Chip » Jul 21st, '11, 00:59

It is "Black Thursday." So yesterday's topic will carryover into today!

So, please drop in and share what is in your cup throughout the day. And continue to discuss yesterday's topic.

As a bonus, please share your fave black tea, generally and/or specifically.

Jul 21st, '11, 08:42

Re: Wed/Thur TeaDay 7/20-21/11 How the West was won?

by JBaymore » Jul 21st, '11, 08:42

Moved on for the most part. Occasionally drink it... but probably 95% of what I drink is Japanese greens now.

best,

..........john