Coffee Drinkers

Miscellaneous Discussion. Any topics that don't fit in other areas of the forum.

May 2nd, '11, 15:47

Re: Coffee Drinkers

by entropyembrace » May 2nd, '11, 15:47

My new coffee toy :) It´s a 1970´s La Pavoni home espresso machine...this will be a "before" picture it needs cleaned pretty badly.

May 2nd, '11, 17:51
Scrolling: scrolling

by rdl » May 2nd, '11, 17:51

entropyembrace wrote:[
My new coffee toy :) It´s a 1970´s La Pavoni home espresso machine...this will be a "before" picture it needs cleaned pretty badly.
entropyembrace- very nice! i am curious where you bought it from.
enjoy the feel of it and the coffee it makes.

May 2nd, '11, 18:38

by entropyembrace » May 2nd, '11, 18:38

rdl wrote:
entropyembrace wrote:[
entropyembrace- very nice! i am curious where you bought it from.
enjoy the feel of it and the coffee it makes.
it was an ebay find :)

I´m (impatiently) waiting for some accessories, cleaning supplies and fresh roasted coffee to arrive :)

coffee should be roasting today and will ship tomorrow...and everything is timed to arrive on Wednesday or Thursday :mrgreen:

May 2nd, '11, 19:56
Scrolling: scrolling

by rdl » May 2nd, '11, 19:56

entropyembrace wrote:
it was an ebay find :)

I´m (impatiently) waiting for some accessories, cleaning supplies and fresh roasted coffee to arrive :)

coffee should be roasting today and will ship tomorrow...and everything is timed to arrive on Wednesday or Thursday :mrgreen:
great find - even by the unpolish looks of it. there are lots from the 70's i am happy we will never see again, but things like your la pavoni and others from europe are classics. enjoy it for many years.

Jul 21st, '11, 11:15

by alim90 » Jul 21st, '11, 11:15

Coffee upsets my stomach, so I usually don't drink it. I don't care for the taste unless it's loaded with milk and sugar, which is another reason I try to stay away from it. My biggest exception is when I go home to New York, where Dunkin Donuts are more prevalent than down here in the District. I *love* the taste of Dunkies coffee and can deal with the stomach ache later. So when I do drink coffee, it's from Dunkin Donuts, and it's usually one cup in the morning and that's it.

Occasionally when I'm up late or early to do work I'll drink some coffee to help me stay awake, but I still usually stick to tea unless it's a desperate situation!

Jul 21st, '11, 13:39

by entropyembrace » Jul 21st, '11, 13:39

If coffee tastes bad and makes you sick it´s probably bad coffee...actually given Dunkin Donuts is what you think tastes the best I´m sure it´s because the coffee is trashy.

If you want to try decent coffee here´s a list of good cafes in the Baltimore-DC area

http://www.home-barista.com/cafes/balti ... 16657.html

I used to find coffee hard to drink too...I thought it was a migraine trigger for a long time, I switched to drinking higher quality coffee and it´s never triggered a migraine like the crap I used to drink did...who knows what caused it...pesticides maybe? :?

Oct 14th, '11, 14:48

by Ansel » Oct 14th, '11, 14:48

That's a mean coffee making machine!

Feb 1st, '12, 00:32

by NOESIS » Feb 1st, '12, 00:32

I love coffee as much (or maybe a tad bit more) than tea. I've been serious about both for going on 20 years. I was briefly a coffee roaster in the SF bay area in the late 80s, and again for several years in the 90s (in Humboldt CA). Nowadays I enjoy a good single-origin coffee, made in a press pot, siphon or nel drip (manual pour-over with a cloth filter). I only buy enough freshly roasted beans to last for two weeks, and of course grind just before brewing (with a burr grinder). As much as I love my tea, I don't think that even the best oolongs or puers can match the aromatic complexity or depth of flavor that a perfectly roasted East African or Latin American coffee can deliver (especially as the cup approaches room temp).

I must note that I can't drink as much coffee as I once did. One 12 oz serving every morning, or every-other. :(

Feb 1st, '12, 12:48

by Roughage » Feb 1st, '12, 12:48

I drink coffee first thing in the morning. No more than two mugs but that is enough to get me started. I cannot drink instant coffee and prefer to drink Old Brown Java. The only other time I drink coffee is if the tea is awful, because it is harder to make coffee totally undrinkable, or at the end of a meal as a digestif. I prefer it to tea at that time. For the rest of the day I drink tea, and also purely for pleasure and relaxation.

Feb 2nd, '12, 01:33

by entropyembrace » Feb 2nd, '12, 01:33

I was just thinking that the thing I like about coffee is it´s not such a committment as tea. If I start brewing tea I´m in it for 3, 6, 10, 20, 30...whatever infusions depending on what it is. Worst is most teas taste off to me if they sit more than a few hours so I feel compelled to finish a session in one sitting. Coffee you just brew once and you´re done with it...unless you want more...but then you start over from the begining grinding a new batch. So coffee is what I end drinking when I´m busy and tea when I have more time to relax.

matcha of course has that same appeal :)

Feb 6th, '12, 03:01

by oeroe » Feb 6th, '12, 03:01

My biggest problem with coffee is that its taste is so strong compared to tea. After a cup I feel unable to taste teas for many hours. This seems to be especially true when drinking coffee with milk.
Do you recognize the problem? How do you cope with it?

Feb 6th, '12, 17:43

by NOESIS » Feb 6th, '12, 17:43

oeroe wrote:My biggest problem with coffee is that its taste is so strong compared to tea. After a cup I feel unable to taste teas for many hours. This seems to be especially true when drinking coffee with milk.
Often dark roasted coffees can leave a rather strong bitter-sweet aftertaste that can last for some time. From my experience, this is not usually an issue with coffee taken to full city roast or lighter. If I am going to drink a more delicate tea soon after I've had a strong cup of coffee or espresso, I'll often rinse out my mouth with room temp water. Don't use dairy, so I don't know if that amplifies the strength/length of the aftertaste.

Feb 6th, '12, 18:05

by woozl » Feb 6th, '12, 18:05

I love coffee.
It doesn't love me. :cry:

Feb 6th, '12, 19:07

by entropyembrace » Feb 6th, '12, 19:07

oeroe wrote:My biggest problem with coffee is that its taste is so strong compared to tea. After a cup I feel unable to taste teas for many hours. This seems to be especially true when drinking coffee with milk.
good coffee has awesome hui gan...enjoy it! :mrgreen:

Feb 18th, '12, 13:15

by Ansel » Feb 18th, '12, 13:15

entropyembrace, is that you standing in front of the Leon Trotsky plaque? If yes you are lovely... you are a tea-babe :-)

*blush*

+ Post Reply