Yuuki-Cha "Official" Japanese tea topic

Comprehensive member driven guide to vendors of all teas

Dec 24th, '10, 23:38
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Yuuki-Cha "Official" Japanese tea topic

by Chip » Dec 24th, '10, 23:38

Uji, my point being, before making a statement like Y-C has "the best organic on the internet," you need to try a lot more organics from more companies.

For instance, I think you tried one from O-Cha (when you were completely new to organic) while they have well over 10. (unfortunately, I do not see the one orgainic on the Ippodo site? Do you have a link?)

Others like Zencha, Rishi, Ryu Mei offer multiple organics.

You can certainly state that you like what you have tried from Y-C. However, jumping to a conclusion of the superlative "best" based on the still rather limited sampling you have done in 3 weeks is likely to be challenged.

Jan 6th, '11, 21:55

by justmepkp » Jan 6th, '11, 21:55

I was just about to place a sizeable order with Yuuki-Cha for the first time but decided to read up on them a bit first and found this chat. Thanks Chip, I don't think I'll be placing my order with them after all - still looking...

Jan 7th, '11, 14:42

by teaisme » Jan 7th, '11, 14:42

justmepkp wrote:I was just about to place a sizeable order with Yuuki-Cha for the first time but decided to read up on them a bit first and found this chat. Thanks Chip, I don't think I'll be placing my order with them after all - still looking...
what a shame this whole yuukicha ordeal...you miss out on some really good teas, and they miss out on some of your hard earned money...

Both parties come out losers...is that the way it should be?

Jan 7th, '11, 15:26

by iannon » Jan 7th, '11, 15:26

churng wrote:
justmepkp wrote:I was just about to place a sizeable order with Yuuki-Cha for the first time but decided to read up on them a bit first and found this chat. Thanks Chip, I don't think I'll be placing my order with them after all - still looking...
what a shame this whole yuukicha ordeal...you miss out on some really good teas, and they miss out on some of your hard earned money...

Both parties come out losers...is that the way it should be?
probably..Everyone will make their own decisions though. Would I order from them again if i really wanted a particular tea ive had from there before? probably? Would I go elsewhere if i wasnt tied to one tea and could go with a different vendor for equally good tea? probably so as well.

Jan 16th, '11, 00:12

by justmepkp » Jan 16th, '11, 00:12

Just an update on yuuki-cha. As I am new on here, I am not allowed to give reviews (good or bad), which is silly (esp if I was giving a good one). So anyway, without disobeying the rules, I will just say this, I am very happy to say that I have changed my mind about not ordering from Yuuki-cha.

Jan 16th, '11, 00:32
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 16th, '11, 00:32

justmepkp wrote:Just an update on yuuki-cha. As I am new on here, I am not allowed to give reviews (good or bad), which is silly (esp if I was giving a good one). So anyway, without disobeying the rules, I will just say this, I am very happy to say that I have changed my mind about not ordering from Yuuki-cha.
... but you also gave a bad review, first, to another vendor. You actually joined the forum and almost immediately posted a negative review.

Sorry you feel this is silly.

Posting reviews is a privilege earned by actively posting members in good standing over time. The rule applies to everyone.

This is also to prevent what we refer to as false testimonials by new members affiliated with a vendor. Or a vendor joining under a user name and posting negative reviews about competition.

Feb 1st, '11, 15:33

by teaisme » Feb 1st, '11, 15:33

order is in!
sent out thursday arrived monday :mrgreen:

Sencha Kanayamidori at work, think I like the cheaper priced Okuyutaka a bit more but still a very pleasant asa

any opinions/pointers on their newer edition gyokoros and kabusenchas?

Feb 2nd, '11, 07:28

by alan logan » Feb 2nd, '11, 07:28

churng wrote:... think I like the cheaper priced Okuyutaka a bit more but still a very pleasant asa
I am very into Okuyutaka, when you brew it with cooler water you enhance the fruity/sugar side. kanayamidori, also with a fruity note, is structured in a more subtle way maybe, less obvious, with Okuyutaka you get sort of an "immediate satisfaction".

churng wrote:any opinions/pointers on their newer edition gyokoros and kabusenchas?
I have ordered the 2 new honyama gyokuros (Kin-un and Haku-un, thought they were an interesting pair to taste and compare). will tell when I have had them.

Feb 2nd, '11, 15:51

by teaisme » Feb 2nd, '11, 15:51

Alan log... wrote:structured in a more subtle way
thats what I thought too, body just slightly thicker...but not as strong in the flavour dept
Alan log... wrote:Kin-un and Haku-un
me 2, tried the kin-un last night and was very pleased, had 2 very concentrated steeps then brewed like a sencha the rest of way

still pretty new to gyo, but this one I enjoyed more then the gokou which unfortunately was too broken up for me (maybe I got the last of it since it was out of stock right after I bought it last yr)

Feb 3rd, '11, 15:49

by teaisme » Feb 3rd, '11, 15:49

churng wrote:
think I like the cheaper priced Okuyutaka a bit more
Hum maybe not, had a opinion changing session just now

Feb 4th, '11, 09:35

by alan logan » Feb 4th, '11, 09:35

sometimes a slight change in parameters (particularly when brewing a lower temp) may let a tea yield a flavour in a more shiny way... and change our appreciation. good quality green japanese tea is very sensitive to differences of parameters (more than chinese, although some chinese greens/whites can also be sensitive and varied in interpretations)... I also find myself changing my mind about a tea and having the sensation I am "really discovering" it!

anyway, I tried the 2 gyokuros, i enjoy them so far. as I have not brewed a lot I will not try to describe, because I am sure next time I am going to say "oh no the structure is not like that, oh this flavor I should have noticed"...
I also received the honyama kabusecha, which I brewed more times than the 2 others : at first what struck me was an asparagus +sugarcane "polarity", then it appeared the "veggie" pole is rather complex and can decompose in flavors relating to metaphors like : brocoli, cream, sweet potato, sweet mouthfeel of cream or shiitake, and a hint of elegant astringency. very interesting.
aftertaste lingers on veggie sweetness and sugar.

Usually I prefer sencha to gyokuro or even kabuse, because I find sencha more structured and complex. but of course I would not generalize.

EDIT
had the kin-un and haku-un a few times now, i prefer kin-un: more kick, stronger structure and mouthfeel, w impression of a more "mature" taste.

Jul 24th, '11, 21:14

by sherubtse » Jul 24th, '11, 21:14

I've read of Chip's problems with this vendor, outlined earlier in this thread. Seems, from my p.o.v., that he was quite patient. I've given up on vendors who have ignored just 2 of my e-mails. :x

Too bad really, as Yuuki-Cha have some interesting looking teas. But ... better safe than sorry. :)

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Jul 30th, '11, 00:06

by Kunkali » Jul 30th, '11, 00:06

I have their kamaraichi 2011 shincha and am really enjoying it

Aug 5th, '11, 19:36

by Sam. » Aug 5th, '11, 19:36

I just read Chip's experiences with Yuuki-Cha (a year late) and I'm sorry to hear he had such a difficult experience with the vendor. That said, I am one of the many people he mentioned that has had positive experiences with them. I've purchased a kyusu and teacup from them and have ordered shincha and sencha from them at least 4 times, all without any problems. I totally understand his frustration (I would be irate), but I just thought I'd throw out my experiences with this vendor since they've been all positive for me.

Aug 31st, '11, 02:48

by Tead Off » Aug 31st, '11, 02:48

Kunkali wrote:I have their kamaraichi 2011 shincha and am really enjoying it
I am really looking forward to trying this tea as I've just ordered some.

+ Post Reply