Tues/Wed TeaDay 7/26-27/11 Marketing tactic eye-roller

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Fun topic, maybe! Have you fallen prey to the marketing tactics/gimmicks of the tea industry/vendors that later made you laugh/eye-roll at yourself? Please share.

YES, tooooo many times :lol: :lol: :lol:
No votes
YES, more than once :lol: :lol:
30%
YES, at least once :lol:
22%
Maybe
13%
No, I do not believe so
13%
No
9%
NO, most certainly NOT
9%
Other
4%

Total votes: 23

Jul 26th, '11, 01:47
Scrolling: scrolling

Tues/Wed TeaDay 7/26-27/11 Marketing tactic eye-roller

by Chip » Jul 26th, '11, 01:47

Greetings TeaFriends and welcome to hopefully a great TeaDay. Please do drp in and share what is in your cup throughout the day. Also be sure to discuss the topic of the day.

Yesterday we discussed "bitter brew face." Please continue to discuss yesterday's topic.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. Fun topic, maybe! Have you fallen prey to the marketing tactics/gimmicks of the tea industry/vendors that later made you laugh/eye-roll at yourself? Please share.

We are looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with everyone. Bottoms up.

Jul 26th, '11, 02:00

Re: Tuesday TeaDay 7/26/11 Marketing tactic eye-roller

by auhckw » Jul 26th, '11, 02:00

Yes. Read my earlier post and you probably could guess which vendor :lol:

Don't want to comment further the reason :|

Jul 26th, '11, 02:13

by tortoise » Jul 26th, '11, 02:13

Maybe, ten years ago, in the Republic of Tea days.

There is a very fine line between enthusiastic salesmanship and lying.

I've been loving this aged Dong Ding from FLT.

Jul 26th, '11, 06:39
Vendor Member

by Xell » Jul 26th, '11, 06:39

Certainly and many times. Back then, when i had zero knowledge about tea i just bought something, that looks nice :lol: Another time was when i finally moved to Japan and started enjoying green teas. I was buying at the beginning teas from big tea shop chain, got hooked by nice looking packages :roll: Those shops are almost everywhere, have a lot of fancy packages, free samples and of course annoying personal, who will follow you like a shadow. Teas were soso and about twice as expensive than some good small 'family' shops.

Drinking Yame matcha with milk and sugar again, currently it's my favorite.

Jul 26th, '11, 06:51

by Drax » Jul 26th, '11, 06:51

I was fortunate enough to stumble across this site before I got heavyily interested in tea, so my purchases were tempered with the wisdom and experience of many others. And for that blessing, I thank you all!

Now, that doesn't mean I never made any unwise purchases... :D

I do tend to look past the "superfluous" vendor comments (e.g., this tea will help you lose weight; this tea was limited to X amount; this tea was picked by monkeys). But I have purposefully bought/tried various teas because they were unusual and I wanted to try them (e.g., Feet of Crab Menghai I'm looking at you).

Jul 26th, '11, 12:46

by edkrueger » Jul 26th, '11, 12:46

Feet of Crab Menghai I'm looking at you).
Luckily, I only bought a sample.

Jul 26th, '11, 13:42

by Chip » Jul 26th, '11, 13:42

Very early on, I bought into RoT's (Republic of Tea) whole marketing scheme, although back then they did have some better teas. Now they are mostly garbage IMHO.

About that time, I purchased not one, but 2 tetsubins hoping these would be the ultimate teapots. I used them a couple times and realized, "mistake." Anyway, they are nice to look at and these are Iwachu, so pretty decent quality.

I am sure there are a bunch of others ... but these two stick out the most at present.

Great TD started out with Miyabi from O-C with the Mrs. Simply very good tea, no marketing hype needed.

Jul 26th, '11, 16:30

by CasualConnoisseur » Jul 26th, '11, 16:30

If I didn't hold on to my wallet so tightly there'd definitely be more falling prey to gimmicks, but, to be fair, I've also regretted not buying things before as well.

Jul 26th, '11, 19:29

by SlientSipper » Jul 26th, '11, 19:29

Back when I worked at teavana,
I saw lots of people for fall for lots of lies.
"This tea pot gets better over time and it makes the tea taste better"
-Hit and miss but, usually works on those looking to buy.

"Oh and you definitely need this Australian honey to go with your sencha. You just aren't drinking Sencha without this honey nobody drinking Sencha without honey. Not even the Ch-Ko-uhh... Japanese drink it without honey ya know."
-The couple bought it and bought a bunch bunch more.

"Not trying to force you to buy anything here but, you do know that you are going to want to buy this lovely gaiwan for that splendid rooibos you'll be drinking."
-He later got lied to more and bought two!

"We're the cheapest in town"
-the lady walked away.

"You like spicy? well you should ignore that low price spiced oolong and try this rare white tea oh its so heavenly and uh... pomegranately spicy!"
-The person agreed and bought it.

"Oh yes ma'am there is no difference between Earl Grey and this Earl Grey Splender with the blue pines in it. The blue pines are just for show and they cost the same.. Uh,, the canister is just.... mislabeled. yeah"
-The lady smiled and bought it.

"Opening the doors to health, happiness and wisdom"
-I don't want to even guess at how many people fall for this!

"I'm not one to screw anyone out of their money"
-That lie didn't work on me very well and it sure didn't work for the labor board either. :twisted:

but, that last was a bit of digression. :shock:

Jul 27th, '11, 01:53

Re: Tues/Wed TeaDay 7/26-27/11 Marketing tactic eye-roller

by Chip » Jul 27th, '11, 01:53

This topic will get better with age like a Teavana Monkey Picked Oolong. :mrgreen:

Therefore, please continue to share what is in your cup here.

Also continue to discuss yesterday's topic!

As a bonus, please share what was the source how you came to the realization that you fell prey to marketing tactics, etc.

We are looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with everyone! Bottoms up.

Jul 27th, '11, 02:50

by debunix » Jul 27th, '11, 02:50

Hmmm.....does falling prey to the Matcha-wan topic on teachat and repeatedly buying but not enjoying Matcha count?

I've definitely bought some teas that sounded cool but that didn't live up to their billing--quite a few of those might have been ok for someone else, like most of the green teas I bought before I learned about cool and short infusions through working with sencha. And the Milk Oolong that disgusted me has very much pleased several coworkers, who are working their way through it. Trying to think of the last tea that went pretty much straight to the worm bin....and can't recall it.

Today, started with some Da Hong Pao; kept it in the oolong family with some Xue Dian Mei Lan from Norbu, a green tea with oolong features, or an oolong tea with green features, depending on how you brew it; and am finishing with some more of a lovely Mao Xie from Jing Tea Shop. Mmmm. It's been a very oolong-heavy couple of weeks.

Jul 27th, '11, 03:19

by David R. » Jul 27th, '11, 03:19

I guess something like "the stock is very limited and the price is going to increasing insanely in the weeks to come, if there is any left of course..." has proved to be quite effective with me... One-time offers on which I could have saved money because they were not that special...

Puerh is quite terrible for this.

A lot on the tea menu today : Bin Dao Raw puerh (Hojo), Small Yellow Label (Nada), shincha (OTTI) and another old puerh if I have the time. Tomorrow, dan cong. It's been too long ! :)

Jul 27th, '11, 06:50

by Drax » Jul 27th, '11, 06:50

I think that recent post that somebody made about the tea that "virgins picked with their mouths and then collect in a basket between their breasts" -- counts as a marketing eye-roller.

I definitely did not fall for that one.... :lol:

Jul 27th, '11, 07:06

by auhckw » Jul 27th, '11, 07:06

Drax wrote:I think that recent post that somebody made about the tea that "virgins picked with their mouths and then collect in a basket between their breasts" -- counts as a marketing eye-roller.

I definitely did not fall for that one.... :lol:
They should include the photo of the virgin picker too. Eg, this packing is packed by Ms. A with a photo and profile of her in the box. That would increase the sales perhaps.

Jul 27th, '11, 08:31

by jaderabbit » Jul 27th, '11, 08:31

I've probably been conned 4 times?
1. Bought a teapot that was prolly made of dirt.
2. Bought a teapot that was really pretty but too big for gonfu tea.
3. Bought overpriced Dongding from TenRen.
4. Got lured into the mystic of pu'er and came down with a major mold allergy reaction from drinking too much. :lol: