Jul 27th, '11, 10:13

auhckw: KLP 2 - 1997: CNNP Wild Yiwu Camphor Raw Puerh

by auhckw » Jul 27th, '11, 10:13

As some of you are aware, here in Malaysia we have access to a wide variety of tea and teawares. It is fun to enjoy this ‘luxury’. So I decided to extend my experience and purchase options with TeaChatters via this KLP (Kuala Lumpur Project).

When I come across an interesting tea, I will post the info up. The tea that I select in the KLP will be of something good at least to the tea drinkers (customers) in the shop and also my seniors. So, if you are interested to buy, let me know. I will do it in a bulk order so that I can safe my traveling time and cost to collect it.

Besides the KLP item, if you come across something that I have tasted or purchased and wished to know more. Feel free to PM me and I will try to get the details for you.

I am NOT a Seller and don’t do this for a living. I’m doing this as a hobby to share tea interest and fun. That said, I do not wish to do this at a lost, so I have markup a little to include packaging, paypal charges, bank charges and currency difference.
Last edited by auhckw on Jul 28th, '11, 11:29, edited 5 times in total.

Jul 27th, '11, 10:14

Re: auhckw: KLP 2 - 1997 CNNP Wild Yiwu Camphor Raw Puerh

by auhckw » Jul 27th, '11, 10:14

1997 CNNP Wild Yiwu Camphor (Zhang Xiang) Raw Puerh

This was produced by a small (unknown) factory under CNNP branding.

Back in the late 90s, this tea was kept and sold by a Chinese medicine shop in Malaysia. In those days, Chinese medicine shop besides selling herbs sells Chinese tea (Puerh, Liu-Pao and Oolong) as one of their products.

When the tea was new, I was told that it was very smoky, bitter, astringency, nasty, not drinkable and nobody wanted it. The Chinese medicine shop couldn’t sell much. So one day, the current owner tasted it and he knew that it has potentials. He bought all the cartons from the Chinese medicine shop. Guess how much it was? Early 2000s, about MYR 30 (USD 10).

Over the years of Malaysian dry storage, it has changed naturally into a beautiful and tasty Camphor (Zhang Xiang) taste tea. The Camphor taste is hardcore according to the tea drinkers. Though 13+ years of age, it is still very strong and gives the kick. Probably need more aging but it is very nice to drink now, just that you have to brew it right. This can be brewed as many as 20 times. If you like strong, the initial 10 brew gives you the potency. But from 11th onwards, when it gets lighter it gives you the light and soothing camphor taste. A lot of tea drinkers after drinking this have set their standard higher in Raw Puerh (mid term age). This tea is like an ugly duckling turning into a beautiful swan. Guess how much it is now? Today, about MYR 1,000 (USD 333) and is still increasing as the quantity is getting lesser.

Camphor taste is one of the sought after taste in a mid term age Puerh. Unfortunately, not all Puerh will end up having the taste. If lucky, some will have some mild Camphor taste but for this Puerh that is introduced, many said it is really strong Camphor. This is a good benchmark for others.

So how does a tea gets the Camphor (Zhang Xiang) taste?
I don’t think there is scientific research on the facts, but here are a few sayings of why the tea has Camphor taste:
-Because the Puerh plant is planted nearby Camphor trees, and the Puerh plant roots crossed with the Camphor tree
-The tea somehow just changed to Camphor taste naturally from aging

How to brew this?
Method 1:
-Brew like a new young Raw Puerh. Don’t soak on the initial 5 brews. Then increase the steeping progressively.

Method 2:
-Combo mix with other Puerh (Raw or Ripe)
-Take a few grams and put it into your other Puerh to get the Camphor taste. You have to mix and match to get the right taste you like.

Can this be aged?
Yes. The older the better. This have so much potentials for further aging.

Some pictures:
There are 2 cover versions. The tea shop says it is from the same batch, same price and it tasted similar. I have tried both and find it quite similar (probably couldn’t tell the difference) but according to my seniors there is some difference. They said Cover A version is slighter better and could perform better in long brews.

Cover A version

Cover B version

Naked version (of the Cover B version). Due to aging, the cover for these are badly destroyed. The owner is selling this at discounted price based on weight. The 20 x 5g samples are from this. We have tried it many times and the taste is right. A lot of this have been sold, currently not much left.

Naked version (of the Cover B version) - Beeng Close-Up

Brew 2

Brew 3

Brew 5

Brew 10

Wet Leaves
Last edited by auhckw on Jul 27th, '11, 15:05, edited 5 times in total.

Jul 27th, '11, 10:15

Re: auhckw: KLP 2 - 1997 CNNP Wild Yiwu Camphor Raw Puerh

by auhckw » Jul 27th, '11, 10:15

Price as of 29th July 2011

Cover A version
Weight: 350g+- / 1 Beeng
Price: MYR 1,100 (USD 393) - including packaging, paypal charges and currency difference.

Naked version (of the Cover B version) – out of stock

Price does not include delivery charges. You need to give me your order quantity and address so that I can get the postage company to quote. By using POS Malaysia, send by flight will take about 3 weeks. But if you want to receive it fast, I could get Fedex to quote but it is very costly.

Payment methods would be Paypal.

If you are interested, please PM me your:
-Name
-Address
-Contact Number
-Quantity

As all of us know, everyone has different liking to the same kind of food/drinks. This applies to Tea. A lot of people may like it, but you may not. So don't be shy and feel free to leave your reviews and comments on the tea once you have received it. Lets learn the tea together.
Last edited by auhckw on Aug 9th, '11, 20:10, edited 10 times in total.

Jul 27th, '11, 11:24

Re: auhckw: Offer 2 - 1997 CNNP Wild Yiwu Camphor Raw Puerh

by Dass » Jul 27th, '11, 11:24

Further to what Auhckw has written, I strongly recommend that you try this tea.This is one of the best tea I have tasted.

Jul 27th, '11, 14:23

Re: auhckw: Offer 2 - 1997: CNNP Wild Yiwu Camphor Raw Puerh

by gasninja » Jul 27th, '11, 14:23

have the two versions been stored the same. If not which one has the more humid storage.

Jul 27th, '11, 14:59

Re: auhckw: KLP 2 - 1997: CNNP Wild Yiwu Camphor Raw Puerh

by auhckw » Jul 27th, '11, 14:59

gasninja wrote:have the two versions been stored the same. If not which one has the more humid storage.
According to the tea shop both are same and the owner bought it from the same Chinese tea shop at the same time / bulk. It tasted very similar, you probably couldn't tell which is which but my seniors have stressed test it and thinks that Cover A version performed better in terms of long lasting brew.

Price wise, the shop is selling Cover A and Cover B the same. If you would to take the Cover version, choose A. For drinking, Naked version (of the Cover B version) should be good enough.

There wasn't Naked version previously. The owner just recently took it out, and it was quite a discount compared to the Cover version which is why I thought of introducing it in KLP 2. I am not even sure how long this Naked version stock will last, cause it used to be full basket. Now left with 1/4 of the basket.

Jul 27th, '11, 15:54

by auhckw » Jul 27th, '11, 15:54

One more point that I should highlight,

If you are curious about how a >10 years old Malaysia Storage taste like, this is a good example. Don't expect any Wet taste out of it :mrgreen:

Jul 27th, '11, 18:20

by lkj23 » Jul 27th, '11, 18:20

PM sent :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jul 28th, '11, 11:22

by auhckw » Jul 28th, '11, 11:22

Some of you are excited about this KLP 2 and have PMed me to start. I have agreed and proceeded to take orders since some of you are taking the KLP 1 too. I will be sending both together.

As I took the orders, I am also getting worried that the Naked version will run out of stock soon. Therefore, I went today and bought some back. My stock probably won't last long and there are not much Naked version left in the tea shop either. So if you are interested on the discounted Naked version, please let me know otherwise you may have to get the more expensive Cover version.

The golden packs are 50g each. I am airing the canister before sending it to you :)

Jul 28th, '11, 12:20

by lkj23 » Jul 28th, '11, 12:20

Wow they look fantastic, great packagin auhckw!!

Jul 28th, '11, 12:23

by auhckw » Jul 28th, '11, 12:23

After the purchase above from the tea shop, I asked the staff anything that can benefit my friends abroad.

She said, she could provide some free samples for an Aged Raw. She said the price for it is about MYR 2,500 (USD 835) / beeng (I hope she is not wrong cause I remembered the owner saying it is equivalent to 88 Ching Bing price). Anyway, she said the free sample is limited to the first 5 purchase of the Cover version. The free sample would be 7g, roughly about MYR 50 (USD 17) to be given upon purchase.

I don't think it is a good deal, but something is better than nothing :(

Late 1980s CNNP Ba Zhong Yellow Mark Raw - I have tasted it 3 times and I like it a lot. It tasted woody, a little 'yao wei', mellow and smooth. Long lasting brew. Good Chi. A good tea to make you feel warm in a cool day. Don't expect it to be strong or giving you the kick. The staff said it was once Wet stored abroad, but it has been Dry stored quite a while in Malaysia by her boss. She couldn't provide more details, maybe next time I will have to interview the boss.

1st Brew - Awesome Aged Raw colour

10th Brew - The colour drops but the taste of aged woody is still there

I would most probably won't do a KLP on this anytime soon as it is quite costly...
Last edited by auhckw on Jul 28th, '11, 21:42, edited 2 times in total.

Jul 28th, '11, 12:39

by auhckw » Jul 28th, '11, 12:39

lkj23 wrote:Wow they look fantastic, great packagin auhckw!!
I take no credit for the packaging. I was just sitting there and watching the tea shop staffs breaking up the Pu and packing it :mrgreen:

Jul 28th, '11, 21:32

by Dass » Jul 28th, '11, 21:32

Late 1980s CNNP Ba Zhong Yellow Mark Raw - I have tasted it 3 times and I like it a lot. It tasted woody, a little 'yao wei', mellow and smooth. Long lasting brew. Good Chi. A good tea to make you feel warm in a cool day. Don't expect it to be strong or giving you the kick. The staff said it was once Wet stored abroad, but it has been Dry stored quite a while in Malaysia by her boss. She couldn't provide more details, maybe next time I will have to interview the boss.

This is another tea I would also recommend as it taste great for a aged Tea.
It has a unique taste that makes me want to keep drinking.
Auhckw, we should discuss more on what tea to share with our friends abroad so that they can taste those good tea at a good price.This is was tea is about - Sharing right?

Jul 29th, '11, 06:53
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Jul 29th, '11, 06:53

Uh, so not to derail this topic, but why is that CNNP called "yellow mark"....? I thought the 'marks' usually went by the color of the 茶 in the middle of the wrapper?

Jul 29th, '11, 13:14

by auhckw » Jul 29th, '11, 13:14

Dass wrote:This is another tea I would also recommend as it taste great for a aged Tea.
It has a unique taste that makes me want to keep drinking.
Auhckw, we should discuss more on what tea to share with our friends abroad so that they can taste those good tea at a good price.This is was tea is about - Sharing right?
Indeed we should. There are plenty here that are special and good storage :mrgreen:
Drax wrote:Uh, so not to derail this topic, but why is that CNNP called "yellow mark"....? I thought the 'marks' usually went by the color of the 茶 in the middle of the wrapper?
That is what I thought also, but the seller says not necessary.