An Ji Bai Cha

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jul 31st, '11, 06:17

An Ji Bai Cha

by bagua7 » Jul 31st, '11, 06:17

I haven't tried this tea yet :roll:, so it is about time.

I would like to read your experiences with this tea and various vendors.

Cheers.

Jul 31st, '11, 15:37

Re: An Ji Bai Cha

by bryan_drinks_tea » Jul 31st, '11, 15:37

I had an ji bai cha from a local oriental store. It was 20 bucks for 50 grams. The flavor, as I remember it, was extremely light, with notes of sweet vegetables and some of that honeyed flavor that is sometimes associated with chinese green tea. I don't recall the longevity, but at the time (about 3 or 3.5 years ago) it lasted for a few western sized cups. It was rather simple, overall, and the body was thin to medium and the mouthfeel was somewhat smooth. hope that helps.

Jul 31st, '11, 16:22

by debunix » Jul 31st, '11, 16:22

I've only had this tea from my local Chinatown tea shop, and it has been a phenomenally delicious tea. It does require a tiny bit of care, because it can turn bitter if you really abuse it, but starting from 150-170 degrees, it is rich, floral, lightly vegetal, and it gives quite a few infusions before the flavor falls off, surprising for a green tea. After a few infusions, I turn up the heat gradually, and it continues to give more rich sweet flavor.

I took some and scented it with citrus flowers from my trees, and it was astonishingly good--I've never had a finer tea experience than those home-flavored teas.

I can only imagine how nice it could be if purchased from a source that is more careful with the freshness and storage of their stocks.

Jul 31st, '11, 17:09

by JRS22 » Jul 31st, '11, 17:09

This is one of my favorite Chinese greens. Last year the best that I found was from Seven Cups, but Jing was a very close second. This year Jing's is even better. I find I like to steep it at a cool temperature, like 150 degrees, for a short time, and increase the steeping time each round.

There's no one answer about steeping because differently sourced teas steep differently.

+ Post Reply