Brewing recommendations

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Brewing recommendations

Postby Xell » Jul 28th, '11, 07:42

Samples of second flush Darjeeling and Assam teas almost arrived, but i'm not sure what tea leaf / water ratio to use. There is also a sample of orthodox Masala chai blend :) This will be my first try at black tea expect some cheap teabags.

Some tips or suggestions on how to brew black tea are welcome.

User avatar Xell
Vendor Member
Posts: 450
Joined: Jan 07, '11
Location: Japan, Nagasaki
Contact Xell:

Re: Brewing recommendations

Postby Olmanrivah » Jul 28th, '11, 08:48

Great choice of teas. Two of my favorites. I use 1 level teaspoon per 8 oz. of water.

And I usually get 2 brews from the same leaves.

I like my tea a little strong. :D

User avatar Olmanrivah
Posts: 36
Joined: Jun 20, '11

Re: Brewing recommendations

Postby Xell » Jul 28th, '11, 09:02

So for black teas it's common 1-2 infusions only? But also a lot less leaf than for green tea. What about time? I saw about 3-4 min with boiling water, is this right?

Got 4 Darjeeling, 3 Assam and one Nilgiri sample, also 2 samples of white tea from Bihar. Recently got a good reason to learn and try all kinds of teas, not only my usual Japanese green teas :)

User avatar Xell
Vendor Member
Posts: 450
Joined: Jan 07, '11
Location: Japan, Nagasaki
Contact Xell:

Re: Brewing recommendations

Postby Chip » Jul 28th, '11, 10:41

I believe the orthodox method commonly used for blacks is 2-2.5 grams per 5-6 ounces water (150-180 ml). This is the English way. :mrgreen:

Boiling water or lower to taste, especially for the Darjeeling (1st flush is cooler for sure).

Time to taste. 1-5 minutes depending on many factors. You will have to experiment a bit.

User avatar Chip
Mod/Admin
Posts: 22818
Joined: Apr 22, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Brewing recommendations

Postby Xell » Jul 28th, '11, 11:22

Chip wrote:I believe the orthodox method commonly used for blacks is 2-2.5 grams per 5-6 ounces water (150-180 ml). This is the English way. :mrgreen:

Boiling water or lower to taste, especially for the Darjeeling (1st flush is cooler for sure).

Time to taste. 1-5 minutes depending on many factors. You will have to experiment a bit.


Thanks, variation is sure quite big :) Nice that it's 30g samples, plenty of room for experimentation :lol:

User avatar Xell
Vendor Member
Posts: 450
Joined: Jan 07, '11
Location: Japan, Nagasaki
Contact Xell:

Re: Brewing recommendations

Postby Chip » Jul 28th, '11, 12:30

Xell wrote:Thanks, variation is sure quite big :) Nice that it's 30g samples, plenty of room for experimentation :lol:

Yeah, some of the variation is due to not knowing it the leaf is BOP or not. BOP brews very fast! Non broken can take minutes longer. Brew a BOP for 3-5 minutes, and you will truly know what "bitter brew face" is. :lol:

User avatar Chip
Mod/Admin
Posts: 22818
Joined: Apr 22, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Brewing recommendations

Postby Tead Off » Jul 29th, '11, 00:59

Xell wrote:Samples of second flush Darjeeling and Assam teas almost arrived, but i'm not sure what tea leaf / water ratio to use. There is also a sample of orthodox Masala chai blend :) This will be my first try at black tea expect some cheap teabags.

Some tips or suggestions on how to brew black tea are welcome.

Xell, personally, I like to drink black teas western style, 180-240ml. This is nice to share with another or drink by oneself. Depending on the tea, 1 tsp per 240ml for 4-5 minutes will usually get you very good Darjeeling tea. First brew will be the best. 2nd brew much weaker.

When I want to really explore a tea, I will use a 60ml gaiwan or teapot and fill it gongfu style. Very quick brews in order to maximize flavor and hold off bitterness. The difference is interesting.

One more thing I have noticed. Red clay pots seem to bring out the wonderful aromas and flavors of Indian teas. If you have a Tokoname or Banko clay teapot, or Bizen, I would recommend them highly.

User avatar Tead Off
Vendor Member
Posts: 4501
Joined: Apr 01, '09
Location: Bangkok

Re: Brewing recommendations

Postby Xell » Jul 29th, '11, 08:21

Received samples today, surprisingly fast shipping. I wanted to wait until acquaintance will come, but could not resist and opened sample with orthodox masala chai right away. Tea smell is really strong. Used about 2g for ~200ml and 4min in a glazed Tokoname kyusu. Light brown liquor with pleasant smell and smooth taste, not overwhelming anymore.

Thanks for suggestions, i had a good start.

User avatar Xell
Vendor Member
Posts: 450
Joined: Jan 07, '11
Location: Japan, Nagasaki
Contact Xell:

Re: Brewing recommendations

Postby Tead Off » Jul 29th, '11, 09:26

Masala chai isn't exactly Darjeeling or any of the other teas we were suggesting brewing parameters for. Masala chai is usually made with boiled milk and sugar. A very different drink. I love it!

User avatar Tead Off
Vendor Member
Posts: 4501
Joined: Apr 01, '09
Location: Bangkok

Re: Brewing recommendations

Postby Xell » Jul 29th, '11, 09:53

Tead Off wrote:Masala chai isn't exactly Darjeeling or any of the other teas we were suggesting brewing parameters for. Masala chai is usually made with boiled milk and sugar. A very different drink. I love it!


Hm, interesting. I read that it was made with water and add milk if you feel like it. Should i try preparing it only with milk? Anyway, i enjoyed it even without milk. Though i've added a bit of sugar and it became more tasty :)

I'll wait until tomorrow with Assam and Darjeeling teas. Quite curious.

User avatar Xell
Vendor Member
Posts: 450
Joined: Jan 07, '11
Location: Japan, Nagasaki
Contact Xell:

Re: Brewing recommendations

Postby Olmanrivah » Jul 29th, '11, 13:14

I'd wait for the Assam and Dajarling. After tasting these bad boys, you might throw the rest of your tea out...... :lol:

User avatar Olmanrivah
Posts: 36
Joined: Jun 20, '11

Re: Brewing recommendations

Postby Tead Off » Jul 29th, '11, 23:01

Xell wrote:
Tead Off wrote:Masala chai isn't exactly Darjeeling or any of the other teas we were suggesting brewing parameters for. Masala chai is usually made with boiled milk and sugar. A very different drink. I love it!


Hm, interesting. I read that it was made with water and add milk if you feel like it. Should i try preparing it only with milk? Anyway, i enjoyed it even without milk. Though i've added a bit of sugar and it became more tasty :)

I'll wait until tomorrow with Assam and Darjeeling teas. Quite curious.

Plenty of chai recipes on google. Take your pick.

User avatar Tead Off
Vendor Member
Posts: 4501
Joined: Apr 01, '09
Location: Bangkok

Re: Brewing recommendations

Postby chado.my.teaway » Aug 2nd, '11, 13:10

FF and SF must have a temperature less than 100 degree. FF about 85-90 and SF 90. If i brew Darjeeling FF like Arya Ruby or Castletoon Moonlight, i use 2-2,5 gram for gaiwan 150ml. 1st brewing 1,15-1,20 85 degree, 2nd brewing 3.00 and 90 degree and 3rd brewing 5 minute and 100 degree. But if I brew tea like North Tukvar FF or tea from Giddapahar garden or Singbulli garden, I use the same time but temperature are going up. 1st=90, 2nd=90, 3rd=100. Sorry for my language but im from Poland;)

User avatar chado.my.teaway
Posts: 207
Joined: Aug 02, '11
Location: Poland

Re: Brewing recommendations

Postby yshuto » Aug 11th, '11, 13:27

Or if you prefer the French way, you can take a look at the Mariage Steeping Chart.

http://www.mariagefreres.com/boutique/U ... table.html

Happy brewing!

yshuto
Posts: 38
Joined: Dec 11, '10

Re: Brewing recommendations

Postby Flonihoncha » Sep 9th, '11, 12:30

chado.my.teaway wrote:FF and SF must have a temperature less than 100 degree. FF about 85-90 and SF 90. If i brew Darjeeling FF like Arya Ruby or Castletoon Moonlight, i use 2-2,5 gram for gaiwan 150ml. 1st brewing 1,15-1,20 85 degree, 2nd brewing 3.00 and 90 degree and 3rd brewing 5 minute and 100 degree. But if I brew tea like North Tukvar FF or tea from Giddapahar garden or Singbulli garden, I use the same time but temperature are going up. 1st=90, 2nd=90, 3rd=100. Sorry for my language but im from Poland;)


I never got satisfied with black tea multi-brewing. Changes and evolutions of the scent is interesting, but it comes with a lighter taste than the classic "english" method. But since i bought some Darjeeling FF this week, let's try again. I choosed a Castleton DJ8 Special China. I want black tea to be tasty, so i used about 2.5g in a small gaiwan, with 90ml. Then, 1st brewing 1.5min, 85°C. Great fragrance, taste is still lighter than what i am expected, but i enjoyed. 2nd brewing, 2.30min, 90°C, this one was very good! 3rd infusion, 4min, 95-100°C. mmmm, good, but..... After this experience, i still prefer "my" classic method (for this tea, 3g, 140ml, 95-100°C, 5-6min) but i will try again, with another tea, a Sungma DJ1 China Classic. Maybe, an intermediate method should be good for me ? 2 brewing: 85°C, 2min or 2.30 min, then 95-100°C, 5 min...

Am i the only one not totally satisfied by multi-brewing of black tea ?

Flonihoncha
Posts: 26
Joined: Apr 18, '11
Location: Kashiwa, Japan
Contact Flonihoncha:


Today's Poll



Community

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest