Darjeelings

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jul 29th, '11, 22:01

Darjeelings

by garrettmc » Jul 29th, '11, 22:01

I keep hearing about Darjeelings everywhere I go. What is it that makes them so special. I believe they are from India correct? Are they sweeter than normal kinda like yunnan blacks or are they more smoky and spicy? Thanks :D

Aug 1st, '11, 13:57

Re: Darjeelings

by teaisme » Aug 1st, '11, 13:57

they are about as special as any other good tea

Yes from india

often sweet, fruity, flowery etc depending on flush
you can check out the teavendor section on teachat for darjeelings and browse the vendors websites to read up more on them...Or go hojotea and read the info he has on them

Just try not to be sucked in by all the fancy wording and magicalness
:?
I've found yunnan blacks can be smokey, spicy, and sweet.

Aug 1st, '11, 21:17

by garrettmc » Aug 1st, '11, 21:17

Thank you very much and I have tried a Yunnan black. I have some Golden Monkey that I'm working on right now and it is amazing!

Aug 1st, '11, 23:26

by SlientSipper » Aug 1st, '11, 23:26

I find them to be very rich and deep.
I also like the after taste.
Its also a tad on the strong side but, not too much.

Aug 2nd, '11, 13:04

by chado.my.teaway » Aug 2nd, '11, 13:04

Darjeeling is not normal black tea. Darjeeling is a Darjeeling. Yunnan can not be compared to Darjeeling.

Aug 2nd, '11, 15:01

by teaisme » Aug 2nd, '11, 15:01

The yunnan bud this morning compared to the darjeeling I had last night was more satisfying for me.
The darjeeling I had last night compared to the yunnan bud I had 2 years ago was great.
yunnan bud compared to darjeeling was spicy. Yunnan bud compared to darjeeling was thicker and more savoury. Darjeeling compared to yunnan bud was more cleansing and clean. Darjeeling compared to yunnan bud was more fast releasing.

People compare things all the time to better understand them...
I love both of these normal black teas. :mrgreen:

Aug 2nd, '11, 16:58

by chado.my.teaway » Aug 2nd, '11, 16:58

You know what I mean;p

Aug 2nd, '11, 17:19

by teaisme » Aug 2nd, '11, 17:19

hehe yeah I know :wink:

Aug 2nd, '11, 19:00

by Olmanrivah » Aug 2nd, '11, 19:00

I compare everything to Lipton. Drank Lipton for soooo many years..... :roll:

Oct 20th, '11, 13:30

by AlexZorach » Oct 20th, '11, 13:30

I think Darjeelings tend to be lighter and more fruity and floral. And, contrasting with Keemun, which has a sort of deep, dried-fruit-like aroma, like, say, raisins or dates, Darjeeling tends to have a fresher, grape-like aroma.

The particular characteristics of Darjeeling teas come from multiple factors...they use a small-leafed cultivar of tea leaf, the same used in many Chinese teas...but perhaps most importantly, the high altitude influences the flavor.

Teas from bordering regions, such as Sikkim (part of India), or Nepal, tend to have very similar characteristics to Darjeeling.

Nov 13th, '11, 02:43

by SlientSipper » Nov 13th, '11, 02:43

AlexZorach wrote:I think Darjeelings tend to be lighter and more fruity and floral. And, contrasting with Keemun, which has a sort of deep, dried-fruit-like aroma, like, say, raisins or dates, Darjeeling tends to have a fresher, grape-like aroma.

The particular characteristics of Darjeeling teas come from multiple factors...they use a small-leafed cultivar of tea leaf, the same used in many Chinese teas...but perhaps most importantly, the high altitude influences the flavor.

Teas from bordering regions, such as Sikkim (part of India), or Nepal, tend to have very similar characteristics to Darjeeling.

Quite so.

Nov 22nd, '11, 02:02

by needaTEAcher » Nov 22nd, '11, 02:02

I have to mention the whole "pepper nose" thing here. I am not wild about Darjeelings, but I have never had anything like them. I can taste a good Darjeeling, in my experience, well after I finish, up through my nose. Almost like I had a pepper. The best thing to do to learn about all the differences and similarities between teas is to taste, taste taste! Try some crappy Darjeeling, some good stuff, and couple it with Assam, Ceylon, tea from Yunnan, I mean, why not try it against some darker oolongs or some puerh?!

+ Post Reply