Wednesday TeaDay 8/3/11 Grammer or eyeballer?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. Broad stroke, how fanatical are you about "how much leaf" you use? Please share some details! 2 votes

Very fanatical, I weigh the tea for each tea I brew
18%
Pretty fanatical, weighing leaves more often than not
9%
Fanatical, sometimes weighing leaves
No votes
I eyeball some teas
6%
I eyeball most teas
30%
I eyeball all teas
33%
... I just throw leaf in, not paying attention to how much I use
3%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 33

Aug 3rd, '11, 20:46

Re: Wednesday TeaDay 8/3/11 Grammer or eyeballer?

by JRS22 » Aug 3rd, '11, 20:46

Chip wrote: I am glad you found a brewing method that works for you! I thought he was discussing gyokuro, but it would be a logical progression to try it with sencha, especially if one is having a particular issue with sencha.
He was discussing Gyokuro, but I figured it was worth a try with teas that weren't working for me. The only problem is that it's hard to see the leaves in my kyusu. I just may gave an excuse to buy more teaware!

Aug 3rd, '11, 21:58
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Aug 3rd, '11, 21:58

Poohblah wrote:
Drax wrote:I will be curious to hear if the new kettle actually comes close to the stated temperatures, regardless of the water in the kettle. The utiliTEA gets steadily warmer for the same setting as the amount of water goes down...
I noticed that as well; I thought I was going crazy. Glad I'm not the only one.
I would bet this is common for most older engineered adjustable kettles. I will actually do some tests on the new kettle. However TBH, I will likely rarely use the other temp settings IRL since I usually boil and use the pot, yuzamashi and cups to bring down the temp.

Aug 3rd, '11, 23:26

by Skippyandjif » Aug 3rd, '11, 23:26

I eyeball everything. Through trial and error, I've figured out what amounts work best for me for various teas, and I stick to those.

Silver needle white tea with rose petals this morning; a lot of iced green tea because it was pretty warm here today; currently drinking a chamomile tisane.

Aug 4th, '11, 01:30

by Chip » Aug 4th, '11, 01:30

Great TD continued with Kame Gyokro and Sakimidori organic fukamushi. Currently iced SLT ssencha.

We will roll this TeaDay into Thursday.Please stop in and share what is in your cup throughout the day. Also discuss yesterday's topic.

Or create your own discussion, this is our TeaRoom!

Aug 4th, '11, 06:44

by Drax » Aug 4th, '11, 06:44

Chip wrote:
Poohblah wrote:
Drax wrote:I will be curious to hear if the new kettle actually comes close to the stated temperatures, regardless of the water in the kettle. The utiliTEA gets steadily warmer for the same setting as the amount of water goes down...
I noticed that as well; I thought I was going crazy. Glad I'm not the only one.
I would bet this is common for most older engineered adjustable kettles. I will actually do some tests on the new kettle. However TBH, I will likely rarely use the other temp settings IRL since I usually boil and use the pot, yuzamashi and cups to bring down the temp.
Yeah, for a kettle that uses a vague scale for its knob, I'm not so surprised... it just means the dial sets the heat plate to a certain current, or a set amount of energy, and that energy will make a smaller amount of water get hotter...

I actually considered it a feature for sencha, as I could get it roughly going up the temperature curve I wanted as I emptied the kettle...! :lol:

But! Now they've put actual numbers on the settings...! That's why I'm curious if it is engineered or calibrated differently. Given the price difference, I would hope so...

Aug 4th, '11, 12:43

by debunix » Aug 4th, '11, 12:43

Weighed the sencha this morning. Mmmm....."Aoi" from O-Cha.

Aug 4th, '11, 13:43

by Chip » Aug 4th, '11, 13:43

debunix wrote:Weighed the sencha this morning. Mmmm....."Aoi" from O-Cha.
Preweighed Miyabi before heading out this AM, and began the TD with same with the Mrs. while visiting Mom. Came out perfect!

I am thinking sushi lunch sounds like a good idea!