Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 4th, '11, 10:12

Re: Pu of the day

by bryan_drinks_tea » Aug 4th, '11, 10:12

2009 Menghai Dayi Bulang Mountain

I grabbed through my big box of samples and decided to give this one another shot. it seemed okay enough.

Anyways, the leaves were larger and more robust than the normal Dayi fare, and the flavor was a good bit better, which had mellowed a little in the about two years of age. Good cereal grain flavors and dark sweetness along with a 'clean' feeling after drinking it, which is something I don't come across in most of these young big factory sheng.
I'd consider buying this if I wasn't tied up buying smaller factory sheng that seems to be better for the money and better in terms of aging.

Aug 5th, '11, 11:12

by bryan_drinks_tea » Aug 5th, '11, 11:12

I sampled the 2010 Douji Peace World Shu last night. It was allright, but it's youth was very noticeable, with a slight wo dui flavor coming through - which I interpreted as somewhat chalky and a little bit of bitterness in the first few infusions.

Sorry about the crummy pics.

The Cake has a good blend of leaf, from buds to regular leaves onto larger leaves and some small stem. The flavor got better as the session went on, with good woody flavors and a pleasant sweetness. The major downside was how short the session lasted - I only got four good brews out of it, while five and six were mostly flavorless. I think age might turn it in to something more along the lines of average.

Aug 5th, '11, 11:40

by auhckw » Aug 5th, '11, 11:40

Bought these on behalf...

Will be flying it out this weekend :)

Aug 5th, '11, 11:41

by auhckw » Aug 5th, '11, 11:41

2011 Xia Guan Cang Er Brick Raw - Smoky, drink and forget. Not a bad tea, just nothing special. Cannot complain cause this is about USD 4.2

Aug 5th, '11, 11:42

by auhckw » Aug 5th, '11, 11:42

2011 Dayi Jia Ji Tuo Raw - Seems like they have mixed it with some older leaves. Colour of the brew is darker than usual for a new tea. Taste wise is also better compared to 2010. Leaves are nice.

Last edited by auhckw on Aug 8th, '11, 09:04, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 5th, '11, 11:46

by auhckw » Aug 5th, '11, 11:46

2011 Gold Dayi Raw - First brew was light and nice aroma. Second brew, it starts to get tough. On the 3rd brew it gets rough. On the 4th brew, it is hard to swallow.... So we stopped, but saliva is flowing out with the aftertaste in mouth and throat area good.

Not sure what is happening with Dayi 2011 products. For the past few days of trying diff 2011 products, it seems like Dayi have include older material in their pressing. The brew colour looks darker than usual for a less than 1 year old tea.

I couldn't resist and so...
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 67#p204067
Last edited by auhckw on Aug 7th, '11, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 5th, '11, 11:53

by bryan_drinks_tea » Aug 5th, '11, 11:53

I'm suspicious of that last cake there, it seems to me that some sort of extra processing went on with the leaves. But at the same time, you're describing that classic rough and tumble harshness of young menghai dayi. So overall, I'm confused. I may order myself a sample of the stuff just to know.

Aug 5th, '11, 12:00

by Dass » Aug 5th, '11, 12:00

bryan_drinks_tea wrote:I'm suspicious of that last cake there, it seems to me that some sort of extra processing went on with the leaves. But at the same time, you're describing that classic rough and tumble harshness of young menghai dayi. So overall, I'm confused. I may order myself a sample of the stuff just to know.
They must be using older leaves this year because all 2011 dayi tea soup color is dark as in the picture above.

Aug 5th, '11, 12:12

by auhckw » Aug 5th, '11, 12:12

bryan_drinks_tea wrote:I'm suspicious of that last cake there, it seems to me that some sort of extra processing went on with the leaves. But at the same time, you're describing that classic rough and tumble harshness of young menghai dayi. So overall, I'm confused. I may order myself a sample of the stuff just to know.
If you want to order (regardless from who and where), do it quick. Cause fakes will come out soon.

Is there no demand for Dayi tea? As of today, there is not enough for certain of it's product. Exclude those common recipes which is usually plenty around, but specials like this is out very fast. Next to come that is going to sell fast is... 2011 Dayi Fang Cha (Small Square Brick) Raw... I have pre-ordered mine also :lol:

Last edited by auhckw on Aug 7th, '11, 07:33, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 5th, '11, 13:12

by auhckw » Aug 5th, '11, 13:12

Just for reference, here is 2003 Gold Dayi Raw cover...

*picture not mine

Aug 5th, '11, 13:26
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Aug 5th, '11, 13:26

Oh my! auhckw, seeing your enthusiasm, I've been wondering if you would eventually buy the Dayi xin hai revolution (which seems to me a new peak of dayi's craziness)! I don't mean to infuse the idea into your mind... :mrgreen: Maybe someday you can get some free drinking of it in a tea house and report to us about it :D

Aug 5th, '11, 16:38

by bryan_drinks_tea » Aug 5th, '11, 16:38

I did some searching of the dayi gold - seems cool, but i'm saving up for a tong of 2004 changtai yiwu zhengpin, the blue stamp kind. I couldn't find the dayi gold for much cheaper than 30 bucks on taobao.

I'm also trying for those round bao yan xiao bings you were talking about earlier. I was hoping to find some older ones, but to no avail. the mushrooms too maybe from 2000, but as you said, auhckw, taobao can be sort of risky.

Aug 5th, '11, 20:34

by auhckw » Aug 5th, '11, 20:34

gingkoseto wrote:Oh my! auhckw, seeing your enthusiasm, I've been wondering if you would eventually buy the Dayi xin hai revolution (which seems to me a new peak of dayi's craziness)! I don't mean to infuse the idea into your mind... :mrgreen: Maybe someday you can get some free drinking of it in a tea house and report to us about it :D
I wished I could have the xin hai up at my wall, but the price is too extreme.

大益天价“百年辛亥”登场
info:
http://www.puercn.com/chayenews/hynews/8155.html
http://www.chadao.cc/News.php?cid=3&id=7441

Some picture for those not sure what is it:

Aug 5th, '11, 20:52

by the_skua » Aug 5th, '11, 20:52

Out of blatant curiosity, how much?

Aug 5th, '11, 21:07
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Aug 5th, '11, 21:07

auhckw wrote:
gingkoseto wrote:Oh my! auhckw, seeing your enthusiasm, I've been wondering if you would eventually buy the Dayi xin hai revolution (which seems to me a new peak of dayi's craziness)! I don't mean to infuse the idea into your mind... :mrgreen: Maybe someday you can get some free drinking of it in a tea house and report to us about it :D
Have you seen their "tasting samples"? It's more affordable (I don't mean per unit price) and got a few more people buying it. But I hope you manage to get to taste it for free :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply