Cardiac arrhythmia after drinking green tea?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Aug 7th, '11, 10:00

Cardiac arrhythmia after drinking green tea?

by tjsan » Aug 7th, '11, 10:00

More and more often after drinking even a minimum amount of Japanese greens, I feel alarming health symptoms - such as headache, palpitations, irregular heart beat, dizziness. I assume it has something to do with increasing sensitivity to caffeine .. :?
Has anyone experienced similar symptoms after drinking green tea?

Aug 7th, '11, 13:30

Re: Cardiac arrhythmia after drinking green tea?

by Ambrose » Aug 7th, '11, 13:30

You're not alone ! I've been getting the same way every time after I drink anything Japanese green, even one cup. I'm not sure why it is :? It's strange as I can drink high mountain oolongs all day and feel great.

Aug 7th, '11, 13:47

by entropyembrace » Aug 7th, '11, 13:47

The heavy use of fertilizers in Japanese tea increases the levels of caffiene in the leaf.

And the symptoms you´re describing are not normal...you guys really need to reduce your caffiene intake and talking to a Dr about it is probably a good idea...there may be an underlaying problem that the caffiene is making worse since most people are fine drinking tea.

Aug 7th, '11, 15:45

by tjsan » Aug 7th, '11, 15:45

entropyembrace wrote:The heavy use of fertilizers in Japanese tea increases the levels of caffiene in the leaf.

And the symptoms you´re describing are not normal...you guys really need to reduce your caffiene intake and talking to a Dr about it is probably a good idea...there may be an underlaying problem that the caffiene is making worse since most people are fine drinking tea.
My symptoms occur after drinking different varieties of green tea - no matter if it's organic or not(I drink mostly organic tea), but especially after drinking fukamushi sencha and matcha. Even after a small cup of tea I'm experiencing insomnia and arrhythmia, so it's hard to talk about overdose.. The doctor sees no problem and no idea what it might be due. :(

@Ambrose: After drinking oolongs I also do not feel unpleasant symptoms, I feel bad only alfter drinking jap. greens..

Aug 7th, '11, 18:02
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Aug 7th, '11, 18:02

As much as it pains me to say ... and it may seem overly obvious ...

Then don't do that :!: :idea: :evil: :arrow:

Aug 7th, '11, 19:14

by tjsan » Aug 7th, '11, 19:14

This is the simplest solution, but not the best for someone who loves the taste of Sencha in the morning. I would rather find the cause of these problems and be able to eliminate it in order to continue to enjoy the taste of green tea.

I will be grateful for any suggestions to help solve the problems of hypersensitivity to green tea ..

Aug 7th, '11, 19:35

by Ambrose » Aug 7th, '11, 19:35

I tried again today no problems :)

Less leaf, lower temp, and a different cup. I have a unglazed wood fired porcelain cup that I have been curious if its something to do with it, as it imparts a different taste.

I've had 4 pots of green tea today so far, 3 organics, 2 grams per 3 oz, 3 infusions each, temp about 170. I did have some baozhong too. I feel great. Humm maybe something is funny with that cup and its minerals.

Aug 7th, '11, 20:42

by Chip » Aug 7th, '11, 20:42

tjsan wrote:This is the simplest solution, but not the best for someone who loves the taste of Sencha in the morning.
This I can understand completely :!:

TreasureHunt Treasure 2 Clue 1 "While this wood will burn, I would say seasoned oak burns better."

Aug 8th, '11, 06:01

by Tead Off » Aug 8th, '11, 06:01

tjsan wrote:This is the simplest solution, but not the best for someone who loves the taste of Sencha in the morning. I would rather find the cause of these problems and be able to eliminate it in order to continue to enjoy the taste of green tea.

I will be grateful for any suggestions to help solve the problems of hypersensitivity to green tea ..
I would venture to guess that the green tea is affecting your gut, hence, the palpitations, etc. Some people experience nausea, anxiety, etc. This is a known syndrome and many 'gurus' preach drinking oolongs. I would suggest that you don't drink any green teas on an empty stomach and see if this helps. Drink after breakfast or a meal. Matcha might be worse for you.

Aug 8th, '11, 15:00

by teaisme » Aug 8th, '11, 15:00

I suggest some indian food, maybe ease up on the grains in the morning (esp oats) and a break from tea every once in a while.

Also maybe consider omitting your last infusion of sencha (the one with the hottest water). You can brew the one before that for longer to ease the feeling of waste.

Hope this helps. :D
I am not a doctor! :lol:

Aug 10th, '11, 02:34

by bagua7 » Aug 10th, '11, 02:34

Basically what green tea is doing is cleansing your liver every time you drink it, hence purging what is excessive (most likely fire). Your symptoms are those of fire (yang) in the liver: high blood pressure, dizziness, tinnitus. And also symptoms related to the fire itself following its natural course to the heart (palpitations, insomnia, tongue/mouth ulcers, restlessness, etc.).

My advice: go see a TCM professional for a more detailed diagnosis and treatment.

Good luck.

Aug 10th, '11, 16:38

by Kunkali » Aug 10th, '11, 16:38

Try cold brewing it

Aug 10th, '11, 17:34

by Chip » Aug 10th, '11, 17:34

I usually get heart palpatations before I brew sencha, but that is a different matter altogether. :mrgreen:

Have you ever checked your heart rates before and after?

Aug 10th, '11, 18:39

by tjsan » Aug 10th, '11, 18:39

Cold brewing does not make any difference to me..

After drinking a cup of tea my heart is clearly accelerating, and each successive heartbeat seems to be stronger.
Echocardiography examination did not reveal any myocardial dysfunction, everything seems normal. However, the 24-holter monitor showed several extra beats supraventricular and several pauses during the heart rate of more than 3 seconds in First-degree atrioventricular block. That day I drank a few cups of Sencha ..
And now a question for Initiated into the secrets of medicine; does green tea may cause heart blocks? :?

Aug 10th, '11, 19:31

by Cole » Aug 10th, '11, 19:31

Just wanted to chime in and say that if cold brewing/omitting the last boiling infusion doesn't stop your heart problems, that it's probably not the caffiene that's affecting you. Caffiene is extracted at the higher temperatures (180+), so I'm not quite sure if it's to blame. How does coffee/espresso affect you? It could be the Theanine, but that's quite the paradoxical reaction you're having to a "relaxant!"

What have you added/omitted from your diet recently? And do you happen to smoke? That'll raise your BP, too. Either way, I'd ease up for a bit and only drink it in the mornings if it gives you such a rush!

+ Post Reply