OTTI Suggestions Topic, looking for tea ideas?

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: OTTI Suggestions Topic, looking for tea ideas?

Postby senchalover » Aug 13th, '11, 06:30

I just came across an old SO by shibuyu deishi houhins back from 2009. It sure would be nice to have a try at some of those. :) Chip, can we set another of these up again?
senchalover

Postby Drax » Aug 13th, '11, 16:49

Hmmm, the last one in the hopper that we really knew about was Shibuya, but Eiichi, and it had to do with a potential commissioning... Chip mentioned photos a while back, but we haven't heard anything lately.

Houhins would certainly be interesting... how well does 'specialzed' tea equipment do for an SO? (vice cups, that is)
Drax

Postby Chip » Aug 13th, '11, 16:55

Senchalover, anything is possible!

However, how set are you on the Deishi Houjin? There are other possibilities including other artisans and even non Hagi (such as KAZUWA). :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Aug 13th, '11, 16:58

Drax wrote:Hmmm, the last one in the hopper that we really knew about was Shibuya, but Eiichi, and it had to do with a potential commissioning... Chip mentioned photos a while back, but we haven't heard anything lately.

Houhins would certainly be interesting... how well does 'specialzed' tea equipment do for an SO? (vice cups, that is)

The Eiichi Commission is likely getting "close" in that the glaze has been tried and true, workable having been fired successfully several times on prototypes.

This is a new glaze for Eiichi, so we are helping with his developement as an artisan and I suspect a future Master and possibly national treasure.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Aug 13th, '11, 17:05

... however there is one other in the works as well, and has been since 2010, the Sendai was a failed attempt at replicating a past accident (a gift of the kiln gods) in reduction. (Seigan seems to like this since he has been cranking out the Sendai-like glaze ever since).

In addition there is another cup in developement ... can't say much more except if successful it will be a very bold and beautiful piece!

And then there is non-Hagi under consideration.

The hardest part is to contain my enthusiasm for the projects and not have too many come out in too short a period of time. The other problem with experimental pieces is having successful firings so there are enough SOs ... there are these two opposing forces.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby senchalover » Aug 13th, '11, 18:05

I am curious to see what comes up. lately, I have been looking at hagi and shibuyu does have a unique approach. I like his work. I am going to get a yunomi of his from mago in the next week or so.

I am looking for a houhin with glaze inside so I can use different teas. Eiichi does good work. I loved the rock cups. I can't wait to see what he produces.
senchalover

Postby demonyc » Sep 4th, '11, 11:58

I am strongly in favor of more Pu-Erhs! As well as a rarer tea, like a Yinzhen, since probably not everyone has tasted yellow tea before...
demonyc

Postby Chip » Sep 4th, '11, 12:36

Thanks for your suggestions! We will see what can be done. :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby JakubT » May 9th, '12, 11:18

I would gladly participate in a puerh OTTI too...
JakubT

Previous

Instant Messenger

Permissions