Let's talk Assam

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Aug 12th, '11, 16:54

Let's talk Assam

by Olmanrivah » Aug 12th, '11, 16:54

I really like Assam tea. I've only tried The Behora Assam. It's a TGFOP (Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe) estate black tea.

It's my favorite tea after trying 15 or 20 different teas.

Now, is there a difference in Assams and what are the differences? I welcome y'alls input. Image
Last edited by Olmanrivah on Aug 12th, '11, 19:52, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 12th, '11, 17:19

Re: Let's talk Assam

by chado.my.teaway » Aug 12th, '11, 17:19

In a Assam teas I like this citrus tastes. For me, the best Assam its a Assam Dagapur. Dagapur is a high quality black tea. Carefully prepared list with golden tips, give a strong spicy liquer, crisp and intense in flavor. Also tastes great with milk. The best of SF Assams.

I like too Assam Hattiali. The name of this tea comes from the word "Hatti
Alli" thats meaning "the way an elephant", so named because of the proximity of elephant camps.

After brewing get deep mahogany liquer with a balanced, rich flavor with a hint of caramel and honey.

Aug 12th, '11, 19:54

by Olmanrivah » Aug 12th, '11, 19:54

Yummy Yummy!

I assume these are all Indian varieties.

Aug 14th, '11, 17:44

by Olmanrivah » Aug 14th, '11, 17:44

Hmmmm...I thought there'd be more interest in Assams.
Oh well, where's the best place to order Assams?

Aug 14th, '11, 18:34

by NOESIS » Aug 14th, '11, 18:34

Olmanrivah wrote:Hmmmm...I thought there'd be more interest in Assams.
Oh well, where's the best place to order Assams?
Upton Tea specializes in Indian teas. Very nice selection of Assam and Darjeelings. This years Mangalam Estate, while not as complex as it often can be, still is a solid Assam (great breakfast cup). At the current price, its a steal. I'm currently enjoying an excellent Marangi FTGFOP1, but it is on the upper end of the price spectrum. More of a couple times a week, afternoon treat.

http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/catalo ... egoryID=17

Aug 15th, '11, 10:35

by sherubtse » Aug 15th, '11, 10:35

I prefer Assams over Darjeelings any day. In fact, a really good Assam is possibly my favourite black tea. But to be really good (in my view), it must have tons of tip. The tippiness balanced with the usual maltiness is a real treat. :D And, as with all of my teas, I drink it without anything else added.

NOESIS mentioned Upton .... They look like they have a very good selection of blacks, including Assams. I have never ordered anything from them -- what is their service like? :!:

Thanks.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Aug 15th, '11, 11:19

by NOESIS » Aug 15th, '11, 11:19

I've found Upton to be a very reliable vendor. Good packaging and reasonable shipping rates. Just make sure to contact them if you're not sure if a particular tea is from the current season (they have past years crops listed with the newer releases).

Aug 15th, '11, 12:27
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Aug 15th, '11, 12:27

NOESIS wrote:I've found Upton to be a very reliable vendor. Good packaging and reasonable shipping rates. Just make sure to contact them if you're not sure if a particular tea is from the current season (they have past years crops listed with the newer releases).
I would agree for Indian black teas, Upton has a wide selection and they specialize in Indian teas. However for the same points mentioned by NOESIS, I would not suppliment your order with their greens, etc.

Aug 15th, '11, 13:44

by sherubtse » Aug 15th, '11, 13:44

Thanks to both Chip & NOESIS for the helpful comments. :)

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Aug 15th, '11, 15:24

by Olmanrivah » Aug 15th, '11, 15:24

Thanks for he Link NOESIS. I might try the Sampler.

Aug 21st, '11, 00:54

by rosmarinaus » Aug 21st, '11, 00:54

Just wanted to put in a good word for TeaSource. I'm just about done with a very nice Assam Hattiali Estate First Flush STGFOP. Yum. I've been very happy with a lot of the Assam and Ceylon teas I've bought from them over the past few years. Their prices are very reasonable, and I've always been happy with the fast and fairly priced shipping.

Sep 20th, '11, 02:00

by Mooniac » Sep 20th, '11, 02:00

The one Assam I tried is Organic Banaspaty Estate Assam TGBOP: the aroma is full of dark chocolate and cacao tones, not just of “hints” but of an actual aroma like if there were chunks of raw dark chocolate in it. The taste has notes of coffee or fried chocolate over tea, something “toasty” and warm anyway. I don’t know if all Assams have this cacao tone, but comparing to other black teas from India I didn’t find anything even close to this one.

Bought it from Upton. Unfortunately, now “this item is permanently removed from the listing” :(

Sep 20th, '11, 20:44
Scrolling: scrolling

by the_economist » Sep 20th, '11, 20:44

ive taken to drinking assam at work either westernstyle brewed, or grandpa style brewed. it seems to be strikingly similar to yunnan dianhong :)

Sep 27th, '11, 15:57

by AlexZorach » Sep 27th, '11, 15:57

I think there is a huge difference between different Assams, although, perhaps slightly less variation than I've seen in Darjeelings. They all seem to tend on the deeper and darker side, but they range from very smooth to very edgy, from mild to very strong.

I agree with NOESIS that Upton is a very good company to order Assams from. I recently tried two good ones that were extraordinarily inexpensive, TA13: Koilamari Estate GFBOP, was removed from their listings. Another of these, TA34: Dejoo Estate TGFOP(S), is still offered. I'm not really an expert in Assams, and I also have no idea how my taste in Assams relate to other people's. I can't generalize about preferring stronger or smoother teas; I think I tend to dislike sourness though, if that gives you any guide.

Sep 13th, '15, 23:59

by ClarG » Sep 13th, '15, 23:59

http://www.tea.co.uk/teas-from-india-and-sri-lanka

Assam
Assam is a major growing area covering the Brahmaputra valley, stretching from the Himalayas down to the Bay of Bengal. There are 655 estates covering some 407,000 hectares. Assam tea has distinctive flecked brown and gold leaves known as "orange" when dried. In flavour it is robust, bright with a smooth, malt pungency and is perfect as the first cup of tea of the day. Such teas are used in everyday popular blends because of the full-bodied richness. There is also an Assam Green tea with an unusual light, almost sweet liquor.

First Flush Assam
Assam tea bushes start growing in March and the first flush is picked for 8 to 10 weeks, first flush Assams e.g. Bamonpookri, an excellent quality tea with a strong fresh flavour; are rarely marketed in the Europe, unlike first flush Darjeelings.

Second Flush Assam
The plucking of the second flush begins in June with most of the production taking place from July to September. The second flush Assam is the best of the season and when brewed give a rich aroma, a clear dark read liquor and a strong malty taste. Good examples of second flush assams are, Napuk, displaying all the qualities of a well made Assam and Thowra, which has a strong spicy liquor and lots of body.

+ Post Reply