O-Cha "Official" Japanese tea topic

Comprehensive member driven guide to vendors of all teas

Re: O-Cha "Official" Japanese tea topic

Postby entropyembrace » Oct 30th, '10, 01:53

My third order from O-cha arrived a few days ago...Chiran Sencha, Oku Yutaka and Yame Gyokuro are all very good and enjoyable :) Also ordered some matcha but I won´t be opening it until I finish one of the cans I have open already.

They´ve pretty quickly earned a place among my favourite vendors :)
Quality and freshness are good across the price range...though you´ll get more complex teas when you spend more. Packaging is really nice too and Haven´t had any problems with any of my orders :)

User avatar entropyembrace
Posts: 2050
Joined: Mar 03, '09

Re: O-Cha "Official" Japanese tea topic

Postby fdrx » Nov 9th, '10, 00:27

chiran sencha smells incredible and the tea is nice too, i don't know much about sencha but the smell was really amazing when i opened the bag this week

fdrx
Posts: 208
Joined: Sep 02, '10

Re: "Official" O-Cha Japanese tea topic

Postby Chasm » Mar 16th, '11, 18:32

Chip wrote:Over the years, I would like to think that my recommendations and samples sent of O-Cha teas have led many others to try not only O-Cha tea, but to try "real" Japanese teas for the first time.


Both were true for me.

Chasm
Posts: 217
Joined: Mar 16, '11

Re: "Official" O-Cha Japanese tea topic

Postby sherubtse » Jul 5th, '11, 14:41

Chasm wrote:
Chip wrote:Over the years, I would like to think that my recommendations and samples sent of O-Cha teas have led many others to try not only O-Cha tea, but to try "real" Japanese teas for the first time.


Both were true for me.


And for me as well!

Best wishes,
sherubtse

User avatar sherubtse
Posts: 714
Joined: Jan 09, '10
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: O-Cha "Official" Japanese tea topic

Postby Running for Tea » Aug 15th, '11, 23:11

I am planning on placing my first order with O-Cha as a sort of late brithday/get ready for school gift to myself. My future order is looking like:
Kabusecha
Kagoshima Sencha Yutaka Midori
then either Uji Gyokuro Shou-Un or Yame Gyokuro

anyone want to guide me with their tea expertise?

User avatar Running for Tea
Posts: 129
Joined: Aug 14, '11
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Ohio

Re: O-Cha "Official" Japanese tea topic

Postby AdamMY » Aug 15th, '11, 23:31

Running for Tea wrote:I am planning on placing my first order with O-Cha as a sort of late brithday/get ready for school gift to myself. My future order is looking like:
Kabusecha
Kagoshima Sencha Yutaka Midori
then either Uji Gyokuro Shou-Un or Yame Gyokuro

anyone want to guide me with their tea expertise?



I personally have never been a big fan of Kabuse, though I can not say I have given it a full fledged chance. My view of it is, if I want sencha I want sencha, if I want Gyo I want Gyo, I never really feel like something that is so to speak stuck in the middle. YM is a classic heavier steamed Sencha, although I am not sure about peoples opinion of this years selection, but it normally is high quality.

I have an unopened bag of Shou-un, but I have yet to try it, and I have had Yame several times, the thing about Yame is it is more of a starter gyokuro. By that I mean you have to really abuse it to get a bad brew, and its a wonderful taste. But its not as powerful as some higher quality gyokuorls

User avatar AdamMY
Posts: 2376
Joined: Jul 22, '09
Location: Capital of the Mitten
Contact AdamMY:

Re: O-Cha "Official" Japanese tea topic

Postby Running for Tea » Aug 16th, '11, 10:59

AdamMY wrote:
Running for Tea wrote:I am planning on placing my first order with O-Cha as a sort of late brithday/get ready for school gift to myself. My future order is looking like:
Kabusecha
Kagoshima Sencha Yutaka Midori
then either Uji Gyokuro Shou-Un or Yame Gyokuro

anyone want to guide me with their tea expertise?



I personally have never been a big fan of Kabuse, though I can not say I have given it a full fledged chance. My view of it is, if I want sencha I want sencha, if I want Gyo I want Gyo, I never really feel like something that is so to speak stuck in the middle. YM is a classic heavier steamed Sencha, although I am not sure about peoples opinion of this years selection, but it normally is high quality.

I have an unopened bag of Shou-un, but I have yet to try it, and I have had Yame several times, the thing about Yame is it is more of a starter gyokuro. By that I mean you have to really abuse it to get a bad brew, and its a wonderful taste. But its not as powerful as some higher quality gyokuorls


I think I will always have some love for kabuse. It was my first "real" japanese green that I purchased. I saw posts raving about how good past years YM was, so I figure I'll give this years a shot. Since I've never brewed gyokuro myself, I'm leaning toward the Yame. I very much appreciate the response!
I guess the only question I have left would be to someone who has had this years YM

User avatar Running for Tea
Posts: 129
Joined: Aug 14, '11
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Ohio

Re: O-Cha "Official" Japanese tea topic

Postby Chip » Aug 16th, '11, 11:16

The Uji Kabuse is quite good, although I did not have this years.

The YM is a bit milder this year I think, but still very good. I had the shincha. I think it somehow improves after being open for a few weeks which is hard for me to understand.

I have a bag of the Yame unopened. It has been a couple years since I had it, but it is a good gyokuro ... especially at the price. I usually do not like cheaper gyo, but I do like this one.

User avatar Chip
Mod/Admin
Posts: 22818
Joined: Apr 22, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: O-Cha "Official" Japanese tea topic

Postby Chesslover » Aug 16th, '11, 16:43

Chip wrote:The YM is a bit milder this year I think, but still very good. I had the shincha. I think it somehow improves after being open for a few weeks which is hard for me to understand.


Same here too...when I opened this year's YM it tasted like some roasted chinese green tea...but now when Im left with only some 20 g, this taste is much weaker, if not gone completely...strange

If last years' YM was perfect 5, this year's is 4-5...

User avatar Chesslover
Posts: 127
Joined: May 19, '10

Re: O-Cha "Official" Japanese tea topic

Postby sherubtse » Aug 16th, '11, 19:20

Chip wrote:The Uji Kabuse is quite good, although I did not have this years.


I have a bag of this years Kabusecha in the fridge, unopened. Although I have had this type of tea before, this is my first bag of the stuff from O-Cha. I bought it as a change of pace from my usual diet of fukas, and am looking foward to getting at it.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

User avatar sherubtse
Posts: 714
Joined: Jan 09, '10
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: O-Cha "Official" Japanese tea topic

Postby Chasm » Aug 19th, '11, 12:06

I've had O-cha's Kabusecha from both 2009 and 2010. The big difference I noticed was that the 2009 wouldn't go more than three infusions, where the 2010 was good for 5-6. I very much liked both for the sweet and grassy flavors.

Chasm
Posts: 217
Joined: Mar 16, '11

Re: O-Cha "Official" Japanese tea topic

Postby sydfoxx » Sep 18th, '11, 18:10

sounds yummy!

sydfoxx
Posts: 5
Joined: Sep 18, '11

Re: O-Cha "Official" Japanese tea topic

Postby sherubtse » Sep 19th, '11, 07:45

Chasm wrote:I've had O-cha's Kabusecha from both 2009 and 2010. The big difference I noticed was that the 2009 wouldn't go more than three infusions, where the 2010 was good for 5-6. I very much liked both for the sweet and grassy flavors.


Five to six infusions? :shock:

I get at most 3 brews out of my 2011 version. But then again, I like a strong-tasting tea. :mrgreen:

Best wishes,
sherubtse

User avatar sherubtse
Posts: 714
Joined: Jan 09, '10
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: O-Cha "Official" Japanese tea topic

Postby Chip » Sep 19th, '11, 07:56

What are your steeping times, how much leaf for Kabuse? I am getting this in, it has been a while.

User avatar Chip
Mod/Admin
Posts: 22818
Joined: Apr 22, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: O-Cha "Official" Japanese tea topic

Postby sherubtse » Sep 19th, '11, 14:48

Chip wrote:What are your steeping times, how much leaf for Kabuse? I am getting this in, it has been a while.


Here are my parameters:

5g per 8oz water (1 cup) - 1st: 60 deg. for 90 sec. (excellent brew)
- 2nd: 65 deg. for 30 sec. (nice brew)
- 3rd: 70 deg. for 5+ min. (so-so brew)

I think you like the 1:1 ratio, Chip. Have never tried that much leaf, due to economic reasons. But I have one more day's worth of kabuse to go, so I might try it just to see what happens. :mrgreen:

Best wishes,
sherubtse

User avatar sherubtse
Posts: 714
Joined: Jan 09, '10
Location: Toronto, Canada


Today's Poll



Community

In total there is 1 user online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests