Molecular taxonomy of Camellia Vijayan, Zhang, Tsou 2009

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 15th, '11, 15:08

Molecular taxonomy of Camellia Vijayan, Zhang, Tsou 2009

by BioHorn » Aug 15th, '11, 15:08

I came across this paper today while looking for more information on Camellia taliensis. Apparently this Camellia is added to some puerhs.

As many mother trees seem to come from Yunnan I am posting it here in the pu section. I was surprised to find 691 refrences at www.tropicos.org for Camellia. I wonder how many other Camellia find it's way into "tea?"

Here is the abstract and the link is at the bottom of this post.

Camellia, comprising more than 200 species, is the type genus of the family Theaceae. Currently, the interspecies relationship of the economically important genus is still a matter of great debate and controversy. In an attempt to help settle this dispute using molecular phylogeny, we analyzed ITS sequences of 112 species of Camellia. The maximum parsimony and Bayesian trees grouped these species into eight major clades and four isolates. The current study supported the monophyly of sections Thea and Furfuracea, a merged section of Theopsis and Eriandra and the formation of section Oleifera by H, -t. Chang (Flora of Reipulicae Popularis Sinicae. Tomus 49 (3), Science Press, China). The study suggested the polyphyletic nature of the sections Camellia, Paracamellia, Pseudocamellia, and Tuberculata and the paraphyletic nature of the section Chrysantha but did not support the sectional status of the three small sections, Archecamellia, Piquetia, and Sterocarpus. We also discuss the results in terms of morphology, geographic distribution and the results from an earlier molecular phylogeny analysis.

http://www.amjbot.org/content/96/7/1348.full

Aug 16th, '11, 14:37

Re: Molecular taxonomy of Camellia Vijayan, Zhang, Tsou 2009

by bryan_drinks_tea » Aug 16th, '11, 14:37

Oh Man, Awesome Find BioHorn. I love learning about this stuff.

Aug 16th, '11, 18:57

Re: Molecular taxonomy of Camellia Vijayan, Zhang, Tsou 2009

by BioHorn » Aug 16th, '11, 18:57

bryan_drinks_tea wrote:Oh Man, Awesome Find BioHorn. I love learning about this stuff.
It is a wonder to me that Camellia senensis is not the only thing drunk.
Anyone in Yunnan know more about other species of Camellia brewed?

+ Post Reply