Sat/Sun TeaDay 8/20/11 TEA/pot/cups?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Which do you collect more of, TEA, Teapots, Teacups, other Tea-Related item? Please be sure to share.

TEA
52%
Teapots
13%
Teacups
30%
Other
4%

Total votes: 23

Aug 20th, '11, 02:40
Scrolling: scrolling

Sat/Sun TeaDay 8/20/11 TEA/pot/cups?

by Chip » Aug 20th, '11, 02:40

Greetings, we meet again in TeaDay. Please share what is in your cup throughout the day. Also discuss the topic of the day.

Yesterday we discussed unusual collections. Please continue to discuss yesterday's topic.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. Which do you collect more of, TEA, Teapots, Teacups, other Tea-Related item? Please be sure to share.

We are looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with everyone. Bottoms up.

Aug 20th, '11, 03:50
Vendor Member

Re: Saturday TeaDay 8/20/11 TEA/pot/cups?

by Xell » Aug 20th, '11, 03:50

Kyusu! To be more exact, Tokoname kyusu made from several types of clay are my favorite. Though what i really like usually is over 100-200$ :? Those pieces are amazing, really gorgeous and precise work.

Aug 20th, '11, 07:32

by jaderabbit » Aug 20th, '11, 07:32

On a limited college student's budget, I definitely prefer to buy more tea than related accessories. If the backlog of pu samples that I have no desire to drink counts then I collect tea. Otherwise, I try to consume most of what I've bought before purchasing more.

Aug 20th, '11, 09:25

by karmaplace » Aug 20th, '11, 09:25

Technically I have collected more teapots and cups, but my current collecting obsession is chawan. Since I started drinking matcha everyday I love choosing a bowl based purely on my mood or preference that particular day, whereas when I pick my teapots and cups I go by what tea I want to drink, and have a more limited selection.

I was asked today how many chawan I own, and I guessed I had about 10, but when I came home I realized that I have 12. And that number will continue to grow. :mrgreen:

Today has been a very productive teaday. I started out with my usual iced tea (today it was Taiwanese high mountain oolong), and then had some Sejak matcha, and then I visited a tea shop in Busan and was treated to some sakuraka matcha I had brought for them to try, and several cups of a puerh I cannot name.

Now that I'm back home I'm enjoying an unknown puerh (which I was given as a gift the last time I visited that shop) in my new Yixing pot (a gift I received on today's visit). :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Aug 20th, '11, 10:02

by JRS22 » Aug 20th, '11, 10:02

I chose tea, since as a neophyte Puerh drinker I've been collecting samples of Puerh from places such as EOT and the Mandarin Tea Room. I have a limited amount of space for teaware, so I wait until I have a clearly defined need before I make a new purchase. Thanks to Teachat I haven't made many mistakes so I can't use upgrading as an excuse. I don't buy any cups because every so often I make some new ones in pottery class. Right now I have 2 water coolers/pitchers ready for firing.

In my cup (an inherited Bavarian porcelain) this morning is Gu Zhu Zi Sun from Jing.

Aug 20th, '11, 17:05

by rhondabee » Aug 20th, '11, 17:05

I have much more tea than teaware & it seems everytime I buy a new teapot some little kitty called Oolong manages to break it :roll: However, I wish I could buy more teaware after participating in the Treasure Hunt and viewing all those cool cups and pots.

Today trying some Spring 2011 Da Yu Ling oolong from Floating Leaves Tea. The first steep is delicious. The aroma of the wet leaves is so sweet & I smell a hint of banana in it!

Aug 20th, '11, 18:43

by JBaymore » Aug 20th, '11, 18:43

Yunomi and chawan outnumber anything else for me.

best,

...........john

Aug 21st, '11, 02:21

by Chip » Aug 21st, '11, 02:21

Teacups, Teapots, and lastly tea. I finish off most teas on hand pretty quickly, but cups and pots (hopefully) last a very long time. My order used to be tea, pots, cups. Tat was more during my "try everything stage."

Great TeaDay began with Miyabi (2010) with the Mrs. served up in Sendai. Next up, a new opening of 2010 7132.

Currently SLT, iced.

Aug 21st, '11, 02:36

by Chip » Aug 21st, '11, 02:36

You guessed it, yesterday's TeaDay will carry over to today.

Please share what is in your cup throughout the day.

Also discuss yesterday's topic.

Or create your own topic, after all, this is our TeaRoom.

We are looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with everyone. Bottoms up.

Aug 21st, '11, 07:34

Re: Sat/Sun TeaDay 8/20/11 TEA/pot/cups?

by Drax » Aug 21st, '11, 07:34

I've got more tea than anything else, though I've been amassing a good-sized collection of teacups and teapots lately. Then again, pu'erh makes it easy to collect tea, just like having a large wine collection.

Aug 21st, '11, 11:08

by JRS22 » Aug 21st, '11, 11:08

This morning I decided to give the Sakura Sencha I bought last year one more chance. The first steep is excellent, the second and third less so, but still good for the price. So I'll finish it, but won't buy again.

That didn't take my full attention so I decided to inventory my Puerh. I have 11 non-sample puerhs, ranging in size from 200 grams down to 25 grams. I have 46 samples but that includes 4 from Upton which I purchased before finding Teachat. My game plan is to begin by trying the samples of teas that are still available, and affordable, so if I fall in love with a tea I can buy a cake. First up, EOT 2005 Gan En Lao Banzhang.

Aug 21st, '11, 15:14

by bob » Aug 21st, '11, 15:14

Until recently, I collected only tea, the teapot and cups were mostly the same for all teas.

But, because of TeaChat, I'm getting more and more interested in and fascinated by artisan teaware, so I expect the number of teapots and cups to rise in the future... If I could just keep my wallet from crying! :roll:

I had some Shi Ru Wuyi oolong for breakfast, Hibiki-an's Sencha Superior after lunch, and now I'm waiting for a third brew of Tamariokucha Asamushi from the OTTI... Who needs sleep when I have so many interesting teas to try! :mrgreen:

Aug 21st, '11, 17:59

by Proinsias » Aug 21st, '11, 17:59

Teacups win.

It's much easier for me to fall in love with a set of very cheap cups than it is for me to fall in love with cheap tea or pots, so cups win the collection trophy in this house.

I walked up and down a big hill today with some old friends, I drank some lao shan green when I got back. It was a good Sunday. Here's a pic from about halfway up, the view from the top was plain grey in every direction due to cloud cover but we all agreed it was probably a really great view when the clouds weren't around.
Attachments
2011-08-21 13-1.38.26.jpg
2011-08-21 13-1.38.26.jpg (22.32 KiB) Viewed 3266 times

Aug 21st, '11, 18:13

by strickmr » Aug 21st, '11, 18:13

Proinsias wrote:Teacups win.

It's much easier for me to fall in love with a set of very cheap cups than it is for me to fall in love with cheap tea or pots, so cups win the collection trophy in this house.

I walked up and down a big hill today with some old friends, I drank some lao shan green when I got back. It was a good Sunday. Here's a pic from about halfway up, the view from the top was plain grey in every direction due to cloud cover but we all agreed it was probably a really great view when the clouds weren't around.
Looks like you should find a better place for tea. :D Brilliant spot. I own several kyusus and absolutely no cups. (I need to begin my investment.) Mostly, I concentrate on buying a few different kinds of teas a month. Usually sencha-s, and never anything but green. I'm stingy, I suppose. I actually just got myself a new job, where my income will be specifically set aside for tea / teaware purchases. :mrgreen:

Aug 21st, '11, 18:30

by tortoise » Aug 21st, '11, 18:30

Not much of a collector, currently. I have the basic brew tools I need for each type of tea I like to drink and that works well for me. So I buy more tea than tea wares at the moment.

Drinking more of the 15 yr Dong Ding from FLT. Excellent.