Storing Pu-erh in humid conditions?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 22nd, '11, 00:22

Storing Pu-erh in humid conditions?

by kasey » Aug 22nd, '11, 00:22

I've recently moved to suburban Maryland which is very humid. I want to get into sheng tea but want to store it properly. There is a local branch of Ten Ren Tea nearby which has really nice looking cardboard containers for $2 or so. Some of them are lined with thin aluminum foil on the inside. Are these suitable for storing raw pu-erh? As far as the humidity goes, is it proper to throw in a little packet of silica dessicant for drying?
Finally, can anyone recommend a high-qi low priced raw pu-erh? I'm on a very tight budget.

Aug 22nd, '11, 10:08

Re: Storing Pu-erh in humid conditions?

by MarshalN » Aug 22nd, '11, 10:08

Why would you want to keep your pu dry? Maryland is probably better than Somerville.

Aug 23rd, '11, 01:26

by kasey » Aug 23rd, '11, 01:26

My understanding is that you want to let pu-erh breathe so it ages, but keep it away from humidity. That's why I'm thinking a cardboard container with some silica gel. And believe me, Maryland is much more humid than Massachusetts...

Aug 23rd, '11, 06:46
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Aug 23rd, '11, 06:46

You definitely want humidity for your pu'erh, you just don't want it physically wet.

In fact, many people here artificially increase the humidity where they store their pu'erh (either by using bowls of water, humidity beads, or other humidifying devices). Target relative humidity is usually anywhere from 60-80%.

If you run an air-conditioner, then it will be much less humid than you think. I would recommend buying something to measure the humidity if you're not sure. Even if you don't run the air-conditioner, it will not be as humid inside a home as it is outside -- or, so I've experienced by looking at the official RH and then comparing to what I'm reading inside (with the AC off).

The boxes should not be air-tight, and should have a minimal odor. If so, they will be fine.

Aug 23rd, '11, 10:08

by gasninja » Aug 23rd, '11, 10:08

I think allot of people get confused when they first start looking in to ageing sheng. For the simple fact that they get there info on storage from asian tea sellers. They will usually encourage tea to be stored in a dry place. In most parts of asia where they store pu-erh in quantity the problem tends to be to much humidity but for us in most parts of the states its to little.

Aug 23rd, '11, 12:02

by MarshalN » Aug 23rd, '11, 12:02

gasninja wrote:I think allot of people get confused when they first start looking in to ageing sheng. For the simple fact that they get there info on storage from asian tea sellers. They will usually encourage tea to be stored in a dry place. In most parts of asia where they store pu-erh in quantity the problem tends to be to much humidity but for us in most parts of the states its to little.
What gasninja said. Ditch the drying agents and just keep them in your boxes, Maryland will be just fine.

Aug 23rd, '11, 12:29

by wyardley » Aug 23rd, '11, 12:29

Also, a dessicant won't work in this kind of situation (even if you did want to keep the tea dry). A dessicant will work the first time it's used in a (properly) vacuum sealed bag, but won't help for long in a tea canister or a bag that's already been opened. The amount of moisture it can absorb is simply too small.

Aug 23rd, '11, 18:13

by Tao » Aug 23rd, '11, 18:13

1, How many Pu-er you have? You don't need put in a box and seal it, if you have some, i will suggest buy a Glass Cabinet form IKEA:
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/60128562
then put your tea inside, because the air can go into the cabinet, and you can look through

2,In North America, usually the Humid Condition compare to south of China which is too dry, i have some tea in Toronto, Canada, the weather is too dry, i have to put a basket of water in the Pu-er room, the water dry very fast, and you can buy a Indoor Temperature and Humidity Reader and help you easy control the condition.

Aug 24th, '11, 01:21

by betta » Aug 24th, '11, 01:21

Tao wrote:1, How many Pu-er you have? You don't need put in a box and seal it, if you have some, i will suggest buy a Glass Cabinet form IKEA:
then put your tea inside, because the air can go into the cabinet, and you can look through
You're talking here about storing the tea along with the glass cabinet in the dark puerh room, no?
Otherwise the tea is exposed easily to light and aging can go off.

Aug 25th, '11, 18:50

by Tao » Aug 25th, '11, 18:50

The tea is packed by the big plant leaves, and also each cake is wrapped by the paper, when you storage indoor you should avoid sunlight, the light in your room is OK for the packed Pu-er cake.
betta wrote:
Tao wrote:1, How many Pu-er you have? You don't need put in a box and seal it, if you have some, i will suggest buy a Glass Cabinet form IKEA:
You're talking here about storing the tea along with the glass cabinet in the dark puerh room, no?
Otherwise the tea is exposed easily to light and aging can go off.

+ Post Reply