Recommendation on store to buy green tea

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Aug 22nd, '11, 19:22

Recommendation on store to buy green tea

by manyfridays » Aug 22nd, '11, 19:22

What are some good places to buy Japanese green tea?

I've read that these are good venders to buy from:
- o-cha.com
- hibiki-an.com
- denstea.com

Is one better than the other? Should I be cautious about Japanese green tea because of radiation from the accident?

I am open to Chinese green tea too. I like the steamed versus pan-fried.

Thanks.

Aug 22nd, '11, 20:54
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Recommendation on store to buy green tea

by Chip » Aug 22nd, '11, 20:54

Just a suggestion ... try checking out some related topics including ...

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15327 27 pages discussing the radiation in Japan ... condensed version, just buy Uji and Kyushu island teas such as Yame, Kagoshima, and Ureshino.

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16118 which is the new fave 5 topic for Japanese greens.

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=11556 Japanese TeaVendor Guide.

Aug 23rd, '11, 12:38

by Oni » Aug 23rd, '11, 12:38

I just made an order from Yuuki-cha, five teas, just to prove that I am not afraid of this radiation hype, and I like to support organic tea growers... This is just one idea, ofcourse there are a lot of great vendors, the trusted vendors are all listed here.

Aug 23rd, '11, 13:05

by Chip » Aug 23rd, '11, 13:05

Oni wrote:I just made an order from Yuuki-cha, five teas, just to prove that I am not afraid of this radiation hype, and I like to support organic tea growers... This is just one idea, ofcourse there are a lot of great vendors, the trusted vendors are all listed here.
Regarding Yuuki-Cha ... http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 7&start=30

Aug 23rd, '11, 13:28

by manyfridays » Aug 23rd, '11, 13:28

Thanks all. Information provided is very helpful.

Aug 23rd, '11, 13:54

by sherubtse » Aug 23rd, '11, 13:54

Chip wrote:http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16118 which is the new fave 5 topic for Japanese greens.

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=11556 Japanese TeaVendor Guide.
I would suggest Hakoniwado, operated by a fellow TCer. There is no thread for this company yet in the Japanese TeaVendor Guide, so here is the link:

http://japantea.org/index.php?route=common/home

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Aug 23rd, '11, 14:17

by Chip » Aug 23rd, '11, 14:17

Xell does however have a topic under TeaMerchandiser! :mrgreen:

Aug 23rd, '11, 19:22

by sherubtse » Aug 23rd, '11, 19:22

Chip wrote:Xell does however have a topic under TeaMerchandiser! :mrgreen:
Yup, and here is the link to it:

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=15508

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Aug 29th, '11, 10:53

by Sam. » Aug 29th, '11, 10:53

Chip wrote:
Oni wrote:I just made an order from Yuuki-cha, five teas, just to prove that I am not afraid of this radiation hype, and I like to support organic tea growers... This is just one idea, ofcourse there are a lot of great vendors, the trusted vendors are all listed here.
Definitely look into every vendor! O-cha is loved by many here and I've had good experiences with them in the past.

Regarding Yuuki-cha, I just want to repeat what I said in their thread. I don't doubt that Chip had a very disappointing experience with them, but I have had very good experiences. I've purchased a kyusu, teacup, and many orders of tea over the past 2 years and have always received my orders very promptly and without any difficulty. In fact, I just received 400g of sencha to replace my now-gone shincha this weekend. I like them because their prices are good and I like that the teas are organic. Again, take Chip's story into account; I just want to share my good experiences so TeaChatters don't all end up boycotting this vendor.

Aug 29th, '11, 14:10

by sherubtse » Aug 29th, '11, 14:10

One thing I quite like about Yuuki-cha is the fact that they provide lots of good info about each tea on their website. Not as much as O-cha, mind you, but enough to make an informed choice.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Aug 29th, '11, 15:06

by teaisme » Aug 29th, '11, 15:06

+1 what sam said

also den's $3 sampler was what got me hooked on japanese teas, its a great deal too

Aug 31st, '11, 00:11

by Tead Off » Aug 31st, '11, 00:11

Other than Chip, I don't know anyone who has had a negative experience with Yuuki-cha. I continue to buy from them and find them very responsive to any queries.

On ebay, it is rare after a certain number of sales for a seller not to have some negative feedback. It's just the way things are.

Aug 31st, '11, 00:33

by Chip » Aug 31st, '11, 00:33

Sam. wrote:
Chip wrote:
Definitely look into every vendor! O-cha is loved by many here and I've had good experiences with them in the past.

Regarding Yuuki-cha, I just want to repeat what I said in their thread. I don't doubt that Chip had a very disappointing experience with them, but I have had very good experiences. I've purchased a kyusu, teacup, and many orders of tea over the past 2 years and have always received my orders very promptly and without any difficulty. In fact, I just received 400g of sencha to replace my now-gone shincha this weekend. I like them because their prices are good and I like that the teas are organic. Again, take Chip's story into account; I just want to share my good experiences so TeaChatters don't all end up boycotting this vendor.
(Please note, I previously posted a link sans comment. I do not post comments about this in any other topics except the TeaVendor topic unless there are comments replying to my link.)

"Disappointing experience," ummm, hell no. Make no mistake about this. Yuuki-Cha's actions were malicious, underhanded, intentional, and completely unprofessional. My experiences were of the exasperating beyond words nature. To date, he has still not responded to my emails including overtures to turn the situation around.

Have others had good experiences with Yuuki-Cha, hell yeah. I am certainly not arguing this point.

But please do not take this personally, I do not begrudge anyone in where they shop, although some have "returned the favor" so to speak and have blackballed Yuuki-Cha.

You know, the irony (and lack of fairness) always strikes me even though I never mentioned it on TeaChat. I had always very fairly promoted Yuuki-Cha, even created a topic for them under TeaVendor even though this had already been going on. The irony is, it is because of my position of Moderator of TeaChat, directly, that Yuuki-Cha blackballed me. So, Yuuki-Cha long benefited by my actions even though the entire time they were grossly mistreating me. boo hoo.

If someone says they are drinking a Yuuki-Cha tea, you will never see me reply, but power to you, please enjoy! However when there is a recommendation for Yuuki-Cha posted on TeaChat, especially in response to a new drinker of Japanese green tea or a new member, I will often reply to it as I did above with a simple posting of a link, w/o comment.

Tead-Off, I do know of others but am not at liberty to discuss others' experiences. I guess others fear the blackball of Yuuki-Cha. However it is disheartening to be singled out for "special treatment" especially when I earnestly endeavor to promote tea vendors in general.

Aug 31st, '11, 00:39

by Chip » Aug 31st, '11, 00:39

sherubtse wrote:One thing I quite like about Yuuki-cha is the fact that they provide lots of good info about each tea on their website. Not as much as O-cha, mind you, but enough to make an informed choice.

Best wishes,
sherubtse
You can actually thank me for this ... he asked me what info to include and I kindly told him what I look for or would like to see. I even have these emails from years ago when he was JapaneseGreenTeaShop. :roll:

Aug 31st, '11, 01:37

by NOESIS » Aug 31st, '11, 01:37

If I went through what Chip did, I'd be PO'd too. But that being said, I regularly order from Yuuki-Cha, Ippodo and O-Cha, and haven't had a bad experience with any of them. All sell very good quality tea, imo.

+ Post Reply