Monday TeaDay 8/22/11 FocusFactor?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. FocusFactor, do you FOCUS on a single general type of tea. Please share details.

Definitely focused on 1 general type of tea
19%
Definitely focused on more than 1 general type of tea
25%
Definitely focused on any and all general types of tea
No votes
Definitely focused more acutely on a subgroup of a general type of tea
6%
Definitely focused on multiple subgroups in 1 or more general types of tea
25%
Other
25%

Total votes: 16

Aug 22nd, '11, 01:48
Scrolling: scrolling

Monday TeaDay 8/22/11 FocusFactor?

by Chip » Aug 22nd, '11, 01:48

Greetings TeaFriends, welcome to a new TeaDay, hopefully filled with great tea.

Yesterday we discussed whether we collected more tea, teapotsw, or teacups. Please continue to discuss yesterday's topic.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. FocusFactor, do you FOCUS on a single general type of tea. Please share details.

We are looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with ... everyone. Bottoms up.

Aug 22nd, '11, 03:21

Re: Monday TeaDay 8/22/11 FocusFactor?

by Nenugal » Aug 22nd, '11, 03:21

Multiple and single subgroups of multiple types I think...

Aug 22nd, '11, 08:11

by JBaymore » Aug 22nd, '11, 08:11

Japanese green.....mainly sencha. Of course there is always matcha for Chanoyu.... but I look at that as sort of separate from "day-to-day".

best,

................john

Aug 22nd, '11, 08:48

by strickmr » Aug 22nd, '11, 08:48

I am definitely more concentrated on Japanese greens, specifically sencha. I used to be a huge fan of oolongs, and I guess I still am, but I have completely devoted my research and my $$ to my greens now. And it looks to me like it will be sticking around for a while :mrgreen:

Aug 22nd, '11, 09:39

by David R. » Aug 22nd, '11, 09:39

I have periods during which I focus on a particular type of tea, then move to another one. I don't cover all kinds of tea though.

I like to have of pragmatic approach : I drink variations of a type of tea for a few weeks to try to understand the differences, then move, before going back later.

Finishing my Saemidori fukamushi Shincha... :(

Aug 22nd, '11, 10:16

by Chip » Aug 22nd, '11, 10:16

I used to be all over the map so to speak. I wanted to sample and understand every black, oolong, green, and white tea (pu-erh was not as accessible as it is today, so that was off the radar). I wanted to taste and know about all teas.

Back then, samples were not so freely obtainable, so I almost always had to buy 4 ounces or 100 grams of each tea. Quite suddenly I hit the wall ... I was overwhelmed with so many teas and realized freshness, or lack there of, was going to greatly impair my path to higher tea enlightenment. :mrgreen:

I decided I was going to FOCUS on greens, pretty much all greens. Also back then, really good Japanese greens were hard to get, so I focused on Chinese greens the most and dabbled in Japanese, but I already knew Japanese greens would be my ultimate destination.

Finally, great Japanese greens were becoming available, and this has improved with each passing year since!!! Once I tasted the good stuff from Japan, everything else in greens became secondary.

However, I would say I focus on Japanese greens first, and Chinese greens second.

Sooo, "Definitely focused on multiple subgroups in 1 or more general types of tea ..."

Aug 22nd, '11, 10:50
Vendor Member

by Xell » Aug 22nd, '11, 10:50

I was focusing on Japanese teas. What i drink often or every day is sencha/tamaryokucha, houjicha and at least several times a week genmaicha. For a while i was drinking a lot of matcha, but now resting to free up some of my monthly tea budget :)

I won't be focusing on one general type anymore, i've decided to try various types of teas before deciding i won't drink them. What i've tried already are few second flush Darjeeling, several Assam, two types of white tea from India, Taiwanese high mountain oolongs and now i'm going to work through big bag of puerh samples :lol: Black tea was nice with lots of sugar, milk and a piece of fresh bread, though one bag of Assam tea will be enough for this. White tea didn't impress me at all. High mountain oolong's were nice, but price is really high compared to how much i enjoyed them. I've tried only one sample of pu and it was really nice, looking forward to trying them all. Looks like puerh will be another type of tea that i will drink frequently.

Aug 22nd, '11, 14:16

by Janine » Aug 22nd, '11, 14:16

I guess I would say I tend to focus on one group at a time.

For awhile this summer I have been crazy for greens: sometimes it was China lungjing and then exploration of other interesting China greens
and then Sencha!!! Also exploring various types (including with the help of Chip our wonderful Mod) and mixed also with a good grade matcha

And now I am back to my traditional black (hong cha) from China ... as the weather has cooled a bit. Today I am drinking something called 9 Bend Dragon or Panyang needle, from Fujian I think. Letting it really steep slowly, delicious and warming

Aug 22nd, '11, 19:27

by Herb_Master » Aug 22nd, '11, 19:27

Multiple subgroups 2 ?

Dan Cong and Yan Cha

of
1 general type :!:

Oolong

but Anxi and Taiwan come along from time to time

and Sheng now and then

Aug 23rd, '11, 01:43

by Chip » Aug 23rd, '11, 01:43

BTW, great TD. Miyabi to start the day with the Mrs. Next up, 7132. And finished with Sakura sencha (kukicha).

Right in the FOCUS group.

Aug 23rd, '11, 01:50

by Chip » Aug 23rd, '11, 01:50

Hey,
what do you say,
we do this one more day! :mrgreen:

So, yesterday's FOCUS topic will continue into Tuesday, hoping to here more members' FOCUS group(s).

Please drop in and share what is in your cup with us.

Also continue the Focus discussion.

And discuss whatever topic is on your mind ... this is after all our TeaRoom.

Have a great TD everyone!
:mrgreen:

Aug 23rd, '11, 02:31

by debunix » Aug 23rd, '11, 02:31

Definitely not focused on any type of tea....although lately there's been more oolong than anything else, the pendulum will swing away a bit soon...

Today, lots of Bai Yun oolong from Norbu; Shui Xian and Mao Xie oolongs from Jing Tea Shop; Ya Shi Dan Cong from Tea Habitat; Silver needle white tea from Wing Hop Fung.

Aug 23rd, '11, 10:24

by JRS22 » Aug 23rd, '11, 10:24

I focus on 2 major groups and certain subgroups. So depending on the way you view it I drink 2 Chinese teas, green and Puerh, with the second group being Japanese greens. Or, I drink green tea, both Chinese and Japanese subgroups, with the second group being Puerh. Whichever way they're categorized I have more than enough options to ever become bored. Today Gyokuro Suimei in my shiboridashi set followed by Sakura Sencha in my Den's kyusu.

Puerh this afternoon!

Aug 23rd, '11, 10:47

by Chasm » Aug 23rd, '11, 10:47

I've had a focus on Japanese greens ever since I figured out they help my weak digestion. But they're not all I drink; the teas I do drink are of many types, but they all tend to be the more delicate in flavor for their type.

Aug 23rd, '11, 13:43

by rhondabee » Aug 23rd, '11, 13:43

I focus on Taiwanese high mountain oolongs most of the time, but today drinking some jasmine pearl tea from Adagio.