Mon/Tues TeaDay 8/29-30/11 Today is FreeDay.

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Aug 30th, '11, 15:48

Re: Monday TeaDay 8/29/11 Today is FreeDay.

by Nenugal » Aug 30th, '11, 15:48

IPT wrote:I am sitting here drinking some shupu and just wanted to take a moment to wish everyone out there a truly lovely day. Life is so short, and I hope you are all enjoying every moment of it.

I know I am getting philisophical, but I just got through one of the hardest weeks of my life. My wife was diagnosed with kidney cancer a few weeks ago and last week had her left kidney removed. Sadly, the cancer has spread to her ovaries and lungs. The doctors are waiting for the results before decing where to go from here.

I am not writing this to get sympathy, I am writing this to remind all of you to live life to its fullest, because you never know what will happen tomorrow. Be thankful for what you have and who you are with.

Shangguan (IPT)
Sometimes life really throws hard challenges at us... Keep the spirit strong and don't lose hope! Hopefully whatever treatment that the doctor decides will do its job. And remember, you are not alone.

Aug 30th, '11, 19:49
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Mon/Tues TeaDay 8/29-30/11 Today is FreeDay.

by Drax » Aug 30th, '11, 19:49

IPT -- thank you for sharing that heart-wrenching news. You have a strong support group here that will be hoping and praying with you.

Chip -- and thanks for the update. I'm assuming he still had to pay for damages? Either way, I suppose a positive way to look at this outcome is that a sick person can get some much needed help -- here's to hoping that he takes his recovery seriously. And I also I hope you still post to your blog about the experience! It will be useful to many people who have undoubtedly faced similar situations.

Aug 31st, '11, 00:59

by Chip » Aug 31st, '11, 00:59

Drax wrote:Chip -- and thanks for the update. I'm assuming he still had to pay for damages? Either way, I suppose a positive way to look at this outcome is that a sick person can get some much needed help -- here's to hoping that he takes his recovery seriously. And I also I hope you still post to your blog about the experience! It will be useful to many people who have undoubtedly faced similar situations.
Well, I am not holding my breath ... amazingly he is 52. There is a sector of American society that truly seems to despise bicyclists in general. I believe he is one of them.

Great TD, finishing up with Korean Sejak ... however you spell it.

And currently SLT iced.

Aug 31st, '11, 02:14

by entropyembrace » Aug 31st, '11, 02:14

Unfortunately people with that attitude seem to be everywhere Chip :(

An economics analyst called Ángel Verdugo recently incited violence against cyclists in Mexico City on his radio program...he called cyclists a plague of locusts and told drivers to crush them with their cars in order to take back the streets :evil:

And this is from someone who lives in a city with serious air quality problems :roll:

Aug 31st, '11, 02:30

by Chip » Aug 31st, '11, 02:30

entropyembrace wrote:Unfortunately people with that attitude seem to be everywhere Chip :(

An economics analyst called Ángel Verdugo recently incited violence against cyclists in Mexico City on his radio program...he called cyclists a plague of locusts and told drivers to crush them with their cars in order to take back the streets :evil:

And this is from someone who lives in a city with serious air quality problems :roll:
There was a similar occurrence in the USA I think, it was even a radio announcer (and I think his cohost). Weird.

Ignorant intolerance is just stupid. :roll:

Aug 31st, '11, 02:34

by entropyembrace » Aug 31st, '11, 02:34

Chip wrote:
entropyembrace wrote:Unfortunately people with that attitude seem to be everywhere Chip :(

There was a similar occurrence in the USA I think, it was even a radio announcer (and I think his cohost). Weird.

Ignorant intolerance is just stupid. :roll:
I saw that when I was checking the name of the guy in MX city...they both used the phrase plague of locusts too...really weird :?

Aug 31st, '11, 03:27

by Chip » Aug 31st, '11, 03:27

entropyembrace wrote: I saw that when I was checking the name of the guy in MX city...they both used the phrase plague of locusts too...really weird :?
Oh great, copycat idiots. :evil:

Aug 31st, '11, 13:36

by teaisme » Aug 31st, '11, 13:36

:lol:
yeah they usually do share very similar qualities

it is amazing how people find reasons to hate hate hate

Aug 31st, '11, 14:10

by debunix » Aug 31st, '11, 14:10

The arrogance of drivers who think they own the roads is a terrible thing. I'd like to take all the idiots who have honked at me, swerved towards me, thrown things at me, or otherwise done their best to make my ride unpleasant and force them to walk for a few years, no car, no bike, just their feet. Until that day when I rule the world, however, I can just be grateful for the witnesses prepared to come forward for Chip and for all cyclists.

I wish there were something as effective I could do for IPT and his wife, and her illness, but from halfway round the world I think the best I can do is send thoughts and prayers, and keep working with the patients I have closer to home, and hope that her physicians and nurses and therapist do the same for her.

Aug 31st, '11, 14:31

by Chip » Aug 31st, '11, 14:31

teaisme wrote::lol:
yeah they usually do share very similar qualities

it is amazing how people find reasons to hate hate hate
Share similar qualities ... this is so true in several aspects. "In these parts," there is a 90% chance they will be driving a pick-up or similar type truck. In the case of my latest and greatest experience, he was driving an F350 super heavy duty truck weighing in at 6000 lbs, wrapped in steel reinforcing for added protection. My bike weighs in at around 18 lbs and has no protection.

Reasons ... or rationalizations? Seriously, any time I have had a "discussion" in the heat of the moment, their reasons are so absurd it is laughable except that the behavior is seriously dangerous and often unlawful.
debunix wrote:The arrogance of drivers who think they own the roads is a terrible thing. I'd like to take all the idiots who have honked at me, swerved towards me, thrown things at me, or otherwise done their best to make my ride unpleasant and force them to walk for a few years, no car, no bike, just their feet. Until that day when I rule the world, however, I can just be grateful for the witnesses prepared to come forward for Chip and for all cyclists.
I think their punishment should fit the crime, force them to ride bikes.

Problem is, it is very hard to catch and prosecute offenders (I should market the helmet cam). My recent experience was such an exception, not only able to catch him, but willing and able witnesses all around. Pretty amazing.

Aug 31st, '11, 14:35

by Chip » Aug 31st, '11, 14:35

debunix wrote:I wish there were something as effective I could do for IPT and his wife, and her illness, but from halfway round the world I think the best I can do is send thoughts and prayers, and keep working with the patients I have closer to home, and hope that her physicians and nurses and therapist do the same for her.
This is certainly a most worthy approach and goal! :idea: :mrgreen: :arrow:

Aug 31st, '11, 14:47

by teaisme » Aug 31st, '11, 14:47

Chip wrote:I think their punishment should fit the crime, force them to ride bikes.
:lol:
Chip wrote:but willing and able witnesses all around.
good to see there's decent folk about :)