Western style brewing

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 31st, '11, 03:28
Vendor Member

Western style brewing

by Xell » Aug 31st, '11, 03:28

Not sure where to start, does anyone have experience with this? Any recommendations? I want to compare taste difference with gong fu style. Sometimes it might be a good idea to brew bigger volume at once, but not sure if it's worth it.

Aug 31st, '11, 03:45

Re: Western style brewing

by entropyembrace » Aug 31st, '11, 03:45

I usually western style brew shu puerh...I don´t think it´s worthwhile with sheng.

For western brewing shu I use a heaping teaspoon per 200ml or so...sorry I´ve never bothered to weigh what my heaping teaspoon of shu is....boiling water and about 3 minutes brewing time (until it´s thick and dark)

It´s possible to get a few infusions this way but not many.

Aug 31st, '11, 06:36

by apache » Aug 31st, '11, 06:36

... and don't forget to add sugar and cow juice. And serve it with scones, clotted cream and jam ... :mrgreen:

Aug 31st, '11, 10:17

by AdamMY » Aug 31st, '11, 10:17

I learned this unconventional method from the instructions included with some shu puerh mini tuo's, and it is now just about the only way I can stand to drink shu Puerh. I have adapted it several times but the general idea is:

5 or so grams of Shu Puerh, to 10-15 oz of water, and start with 5-10 minute steeps.

The goal is something that is rather coffee like but earthy instead of the roast of coffee.

Sep 2nd, '11, 23:20
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Sep 2nd, '11, 23:20

Does western style mean larger volume and longer infusions? That sounds like Yunnan local style. Gongfu style was imported to Yunnan very recently :D

Sep 3rd, '11, 12:39

by AdamMY » Sep 3rd, '11, 12:39

gingkoseto wrote:Does western style mean larger volume and longer infusions? That sounds like Yunnan local style. Gongfu style was imported to Yunnan very recently :D
If that's in response to me, I wouldn't call that western style either, but its certainly a method to try. If there were some sort of continuum of brewing styles between super packed pot gong fu and western style, this method would be on the other side of western style than gong fu.

Sep 3rd, '11, 18:39
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Sep 3rd, '11, 18:39

AdamMY wrote:
gingkoseto wrote:Does western style mean larger volume and longer infusions? That sounds like Yunnan local style. Gongfu style was imported to Yunnan very recently :D
If that's in response to me, I wouldn't call that western style either, but its certainly a method to try. If there were some sort of continuum of brewing styles between super packed pot gong fu and western style, this method would be on the other side of western style than gong fu.
That was actually not specifically to you but to op and everybody. I was wondering what people were talking about when they talk about western style, and whether they refer to the same thing. :D

Sep 20th, '11, 15:15

by teaisme » Sep 20th, '11, 15:15

At work I enjoy sheng brewed 'western style' and 'semi gongfu' in 300ml yixing. Ratios are dependent on the cake potency but puerh is often so flexible I would not stress too much (just don't overbrew #1).

I never brew just one pot of sheng, 2 at very minimum so times for two infusions would be roughly 1m 30s-3m on first, and then 3m-long long time on second. (for two brewer I do not use much leaf at all)

For 4 brews I go roughly 1'st 30s-1m, second can be 20s-2min, 3rd 1-6 mins, 4th long (3-8 grams)

Time ranges are so wide to account for cake potency, compression, and loose leaf sheng. This is constantly being changed though and it will be interesting to see what my reply to this would be in a year when I have drank more puerh (still pretty new to it all).

Sep 21st, '11, 00:30

by HifideliTea » Sep 21st, '11, 00:30

I was using a variety of ways to brew the tea, including putting the leaves in a sieve ball and cleaning the tea at home and infusing it in a yixing cup at the office, until I saw this contraption, called (wait for it)....

THE TALENTED CUP :lol:

And it works fine! Double layer glass in 3 pieces.
cup1.jpg
cup1.jpg (28 KiB) Viewed 2112 times
cup2.jpg
cup2.jpg (55.89 KiB) Viewed 2112 times

+ Post Reply