May 17th, '11, 04:13

Re: Do you ever get nauseous from certain kinds of tea?

by David R. » May 17th, '11, 04:13

Nauseous is maybe not the word, but if I drink yancha on an empty stomach, I end up with big stomach aches and a giant urge to eat !

May 26th, '11, 16:52

by Merrill » May 26th, '11, 16:52

I'm Chinese, but I'm not lactose intolerant. I like yogurt, frozen yogurt and ice cream and all that stuff.

I hate Hong Kong style black tea with evaporated or condensed milk...actually all tea with milk. I love condense milk, I can drink it out of the can without adding water if it wasn't totally disgusting looking, but tea + lactose = stomach ache. For the first few years of the trend, Bubble Tea was the BANE OF MY LIFE. When better tea shops started offering milk-less flavours it was god sent.

Sep 1st, '11, 00:49

by Mintaka » Sep 1st, '11, 00:49

Oversteeped tieguanyin makes me sick. Also sometimes green tea on an empty stomach will. My dad can't drink any tea in the morning or he gets sick. But for him coffee is just fine! :?:

Oct 12th, '11, 22:18

by tropicanahana » Oct 12th, '11, 22:18

Wow it's so interesting to read this is a common problem amongst tea drinkers. I have had bad nausea and sometimes vomiting after drinking tea, but only on an empty stomach. Throwing up is fairly recent, I've had these symptoms for only a year, but I used to get nauseous drinking ear grey so a few years ago I stopped. It was my favorite tea, so when the nausea got worse and worse I knew it was tea related and thought maybe I had bergamot poisoning lol. I can not drink earl grey anymore :oops: The smell brings up that feeling.

So I was fine with other teas, I would drink whenever I felt like it. Until last year, then nausea started coming - I realized only when I had not eaten before hand. I go to school early and make iced tea the night before to drink in class for a caffein boost, sometimes I run out of the house sans breakfast with tea in hand, but this year I started to end up getting sick in the middle of class or driving to school.

Before drinking any tea, I just make sure I always have a snack, like a peice of bread even, to coat my stomach before drinking.

Oct 12th, '11, 23:25
Vendor Member

by IPT » Oct 12th, '11, 23:25

I cannot drink more than one or two cups of Tie Guanyin without feeling nauseous. I have no problem with any other type of Wulong tea, but I have never been able to drink Tie Guanyin, I do not know why. I have heard this from other Chinese as well, so it is not just me.

Oct 13th, '11, 00:00

by Ostara » Oct 13th, '11, 00:00

ya know this reminds me somewhat on some tea I got from teavana when I had a tea craving go figure huh? Well it was one of their greens and I just felt sick after and I had eaten before hand so im not sure whats up. But on another note this reminds me also of how I am with eating breakfast and how every time I would try and have lets say bacon and eggs in the morning I would feel like I was about to hurl, this lasted for about 4 years. I just find these things interesting some how

Oct 13th, '11, 18:24

by FlyedPiper » Oct 13th, '11, 18:24

The simplest answer is usually the correct one:

It's most likely a caffeine sensitivity.

Are you drinking it on an empty stomach? If so, there's your problem. I have the same issues.

Oct 13th, '11, 18:34

by DarkenedSun » Oct 13th, '11, 18:34

I have to have eaten within a few hours of drinking tea or I feel sick. The only exception seems to be oolong. Go figure. I haven't the faintest idea why.

Nov 20th, '11, 21:34

by Jenn » Nov 20th, '11, 21:34

That's interesting. I didn't even know you can feel nausea from drinking tea! You would think it would be the opposite! But I can see why. The other day, I drank a few cups of jasmine and some other one with flowers and I wasn't really nauseas per se, but my stomach felt very bloated and uncomfortable which could turn into nausea if I would have drank more. It was on an empty stomach too. Maybe that has something to do with it, it causes gas and bloating and on an empty stomach it's worse?

Sep 15th, '12, 04:55
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 15th, '12, 04:55

Riding the waves of nausea from this TenRen TGY. Funny, this stuff always makes me feel a bit queasy. I think I put too much in the ol' gaiwan/pot every time. No issues with the other oolongs and TGYs though, so maybe it's something in TenRen's. Hope it's not pesticide or something. :o Need to go get something to eat to get me over this queasiness.

Sep 15th, '12, 09:34
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 15th, '12, 09:34

Ran down to McDonalds and had a full meal, along with a malt and wheatgerm McFlurry (don't ask). Decided to give the TenRen another shot with the fastest infusions I could. Made me feel queasy, even after all those McDonalds' calories. Not going to touch the stuff ever again. Drinking Ying Kee's loose Luk On (Liu'An) and I feel much, much better drinking this stuff!

Anyone who wants the 140 approx grams of TenRen TGY, please take it off my hands. Cover the shipping and it's yours! :shock:

Sep 15th, '12, 13:37

by MIKE_B » Sep 15th, '12, 13:37

jayinhk wrote:Ran down to McDonalds and had a full meal, along with a malt and wheatgerm McFlurry (don't ask). Decided to give the TenRen another shot with the fastest infusions I could. Made me feel queasy, even after all those McDonalds' calories. Not going to touch the stuff ever again. Drinking Ying Kee's loose Luk On (Liu'An) and I feel much, much better drinking this stuff!

Anyone who wants the 140 approx grams of TenRen TGY, please take it off my hands. Cover the shipping and it's yours! :shock:

Big Mac, fries, malt and wheatgerm McFlurry chased down with Tieguanyin.
I can't imagine why you'd feel sick.
Glad the liu an fixed you up!

Sep 15th, '12, 13:53
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 15th, '12, 13:53

Mike, the Coke fixed me up first :lol:

The nausea was the same before and after the meal, but much worse before. Not sure what's wrong with the stuff, but for $6 for 150g I can afford to dispose of it!

Sep 16th, '12, 20:03

by teasme » Sep 16th, '12, 20:03

I've never encountered an issue with nausea while drinking tea but I'm not very experienced either so maybe there are some teas that have that effect on people. Maybe it's some kind of allergic reaction or some kind of reaction to the ingredients as stated above. Either way, we should all be careful to avoid those teas that make us feel sick.

Sep 17th, '12, 12:42
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 17th, '12, 12:42

Drinking red tea on an empty stomach always makes me feel queasy too, or if it's very strong. The pu erh? Never!

+ Post Reply