Wed-Thurs TeaDay 8/31-9/1/11 TeaTutor?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Is there a type of tea that you would like personalized, in-house tutoring on its purchase and/or brewing and/or serving/drinking? Please share.

Yes, several
29%
Yes, at least one
33%
Maybe
14%
Not really
19%
Definitely not
5%

Total votes: 21

Aug 31st, '11, 03:24
Scrolling: scrolling

Wed-Thurs TeaDay 8/31-9/1/11 TeaTutor?

by Chip » Aug 31st, '11, 03:24

Greetings, it is TeaDay! Celebrate with us and share what is in your cup throughout the day. Of course while you are here, dicuss the topic of the day.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. Is there a type of tea that you would like personalized, in-house tutoring on its purchase and/or brewing and/or serving/drinking? Please share.

We are looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with everyone. Bottoms up.

Aug 31st, '11, 04:22
Vendor Member

Re: Wednesday TeaDay 8/31/11 TeaTutor?

by Xell » Aug 31st, '11, 04:22

Recently i started to learn and try puerh, this tea definitely can benefit from a teacher. Auhckw agreed to help me with this and compiled quite nice selection of samples. Also learned many other things about puerh. I can say already, that i found another type of tea that i enjoy drinking really much, will be great addition to Japanese teas :)

Chazutsu with tamaryokucha was calling me i think... so i'm taking a break from puerh sampling :D

Aug 31st, '11, 07:27

by Herb_Master » Aug 31st, '11, 07:27

Several, if not all tea types.

Even when I have learned so much over the years, from the company of more experienced tea lovers.

Even when I have gleaned so much additional insight from fellow Tea Chatters

I would always relish the opportunity to sit down with other Tea Enthusiasts and enjoy the Tea with them. Observe differences if any, in the way they prepare the tea. Discuss teas they are fond of, sources for their favourite teas and how they approach every aspect of this amazing beverage.

Aug 31st, '11, 07:46

by David R. » Aug 31st, '11, 07:46

Well, I am ready to welcome home any expert on japanese green tea for sure ! Free french homemade food, wine, local liquor in exchange for tea knowledge... Anybody ? :lol:

2010 Hon.Yama sencha, trying lower temp and loving it !

Aug 31st, '11, 08:09
Vendor Member

by IPT » Aug 31st, '11, 08:09

David R. wrote:Well, I am ready to welcome home any expert on japanese green tea for sure ! Free french homemade food, wine, local liquor in exchange for tea knowledge... Anybody ? :lol:

2010 Hon.Yama sencha, trying lower temp and loving it !
Absolutely! Come to Guilin and I will be happy to make such an exchange with you. :wink:

Aug 31st, '11, 10:19

by Running for Tea » Aug 31st, '11, 10:19

I would love a tea tutor to further my knowledge of japanese tea! I still have soooo much to learn.
David R. wrote: Free french homemade food, wine, local liquor in exchange for tea knowledge... Anybody ? :lol:
Although, I don't have as much to offer as David.
No tea for me for the next few days :( . I'm anxiously waiting on my O-Cha order to arrive :mrgreen:

Aug 31st, '11, 10:27

by JRS22 » Aug 31st, '11, 10:27

I would love to have lessons in brewing Japanese greens. I don't mean the tea ceremony, but optimal brewing of Sencha and Gyokuro.

I was away for a few days with my kitties in case our home was devastated by Hurricane Irene, with no tea. I began this tea day with Tai Ping Hou Kui. I've moved my new Varietea kettle to the kitchen table so I'm being more diligent about maintaining the temperature and raising it for subsequent steeps, when appropriate. This morning's TPHK session benefited.

Aug 31st, '11, 12:21

by debunix » Aug 31st, '11, 12:21

Matcha. I have a most magnificent chawan that has only been used for a but of sencha, and it really deserves better. I've read about making matcha, watched videos, and tried 4 or 5 different matchas without really enjoying any of them.

I have some nice puerhs and oolongs to share with a matcha tutor, and can prepare most any kind of dessert to sweeten the offer.

In the meantime, I started the day with the last of my Aoi sencha from O-Cha. It's been a lovely tea, and my only frustration was the package's size--it takes me a while to get through 100g of sencha at 4-5 g every 1-3 days. When I open the next one that size, I will seal off 50g of it and put it away, so I don't lose as much freshness before the end of the package.

I've been drinking several new teas from my latest order from Norbu recently, and need to post the reviews--lots of a 'white' oolong, white tea, another oolong, and some really nice sessions of Dan Cong and puerhs. I wouldn't mind a master class in any of those teas, but since I'm already pretty happy with what I'm getting from them it's less urgent than the matcha problem.

I am thinking of another trip to Japan next fall, and hope to get some good matcha experience then--not a tea ceremony for tourists deal, but some fine matcha prepared by someone who drinks matcha regularly. When the time comes closer I'll ask for suggestions on how to go about that.

Aug 31st, '11, 14:46

by Chip » Aug 31st, '11, 14:46

I have often said, I need a Pu-butler! I need help in the buying, storage, brewing, and enjoyment of pu-erh. I want a guaranteed great experience each time I buy and brew pu-erh ... but this tea is so enigmatic to me. (almost as much as Yixing)

Also, Dan Cong, and probably most Yancha.

I think the biggest problem is, I require focus, and I have chosen to focus n greens first and foremost. It is hard for me to simply buy a pu-erh and have it be great.

Began the TD with Miyabi from the O-C with the Mrs. Sencha stock is dangerously low!!! approaching depleted. :shock:

Aug 31st, '11, 15:46

by tortoise » Aug 31st, '11, 15:46

Yes. All.

I've developed a level of comfort with some, but there is nothing like brushing shoulders with someone better than you at whatever activity to upgrade your technique.

Today, I'm having roasted and aged dong ding. That's probably what I was having last time.

Aug 31st, '11, 18:58

by rhondabee » Aug 31st, '11, 18:58

In-house tutoring sounds great to me for most any type of tea, both the brewing & serving of it. Today I had some 2009 Lishan oolong and am currently drinking the Ureshino Guricha from OTTI 10 in my new cup. Very nice.
Attachments
cup 4.jpg
cup 4.jpg (40.89 KiB) Viewed 3355 times

Aug 31st, '11, 19:11

by Herb_Master » Aug 31st, '11, 19:11

Chip wrote: I require focus, and I have chosen to focus n greens first and foremost.
I too require focus, and I have chosen to Focus on Chinese Oolong - - One day I will spread my wings and fly on to Taiwan oolong then fly further and get to grips with Sheng

Aug 31st, '11, 20:12

by karmaplace » Aug 31st, '11, 20:12

I could probably use a tea tutor, but I really just want a tea-panion who knows a lot about tea, you know, someone to drink and chat with who I can learn a few things from. Which is why I enjoy going to a certain tea shop in Busan so much; every time I've gone I've gotten the royal treatment and a long tea session and chat with the owner. She gave me my first ever cake of puerh, for free!

On the other hand, with a lot of teas I've simply heard about or stumbled upon them on my own, and I feel that so far I've managed to get the hang of most of them (with a few slip-ups along the way, of course) without too much help, but a lot of guidance or suggestions from here.

Starting out the day with iced Okuyutaka sencha.

Sep 1st, '11, 01:09

by Chip » Sep 1st, '11, 01:09

Thanks for coloring our TeaDay rhondabee with your "Treasure!"

Great TD continued here with Fujitsubo gyokuro.

Sep 1st, '11, 01:34

Re: Wed/Thurs TeaDay 8/31-9/1/11 TeaTutor?

by Chip » Sep 1st, '11, 01:34

The TeaTutor topic has been given a day of detention. Therefore ...

... be sure to share what is in your cup throughout the day.

Also continue to discuss yesterday's topic which is now today's!

We are looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with ... everyone. Bottoms up.