OTTI 10: SHINCHA 2011

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: OTTI 10: SHINCHA 2011

Postby rhondabee » Sep 2nd, '11, 11:55

I tried #4 (Aoi) again, this time with 5 oz water (1/2 package), and again it really made a difference. I like it now, and it has a very sweet aftertaste that lingers. So samples 3 & 4 tasted much better to me with 1 gram to 1 oz water ratio, but I liked 1 & 2 samples fine with less water 3 to 4 oz. I really loved tasting these samples and now have some favorites to order.
rhondabee

Postby hopeofdawn » Sep 7th, '11, 11:30

rhondabee wrote:I tried #4 (Aoi) again, this time with 5 oz water (1/2 package), and again it really made a difference. I like it now, and it has a very sweet aftertaste that lingers. So samples 3 & 4 tasted much better to me with 1 gram to 1 oz water ratio, but I liked 1 & 2 samples fine with less water 3 to 4 oz. I really loved tasting these samples and now have some favorites to order.

I wish I'd known that when I was tasting #4--no matter what combination I tried, I just could not bring myself to like it--it came out either too weak or too astringent/bitter every time ....

#3 is a bit better in that regard, and I have a little more left to experiment with. And I love #1 and #2--guess my taste buds are just oriented more towards fukas! :?
hopeofdawn

Postby Chip » Sep 7th, '11, 12:27

#1 Yame Fukamushi Tokujo from Hakoniwado. This mid level Yame fuka was very enjoyable. I could have sworn that there was some Yutaka Midori in this, but Xell's source said it is all Yabukita.

The first 2-3 steeps at 1:1 ratio were very good. After this it did fade more than more costly fuka, but this did not stop me from going for 5 steeps.

Very good at this price point and an easy brewer. Best for shorter and more casual sessions. Expect to see the Gokujo version in a future OTTI!!!

I rate it 4 stars overall and 5 stars in value.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Sep 7th, '11, 12:28

#2 new Yutaka Midori from O-Cha. O-Cha did a very good job of re-sourcing Yutaka Midori having lost their source for the "classic" YM due to the earthquake, tsunami, and resulting radiation problems.

I found it full of the deep YM flavor and aroma, though a bit lighter than previous YM selections in previous harvests from O-Cha. But this did not prevent me from enjoying it.

It is possible that those who did not like it so much might have had better results for them at lower leaf ratios than the hard core 1:1 that I use. But I even tried this at a higher ratio with even better results ... for me.

Interestingly, I had a steep from an unclaimed sample that sat for weeks ... I found the flavor better and even more characteristic of YM ...

I rate this at 4.5 overall and 4.5 value.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Sep 7th, '11, 12:29

#3 "Guricha" I always can spell guricha but always have to look up ... wait a sec while I look it up ... Tamaryokucha.

Tamaryokucha from Hakoniwado.

Anyway, this was the "sleeper" of this shincha round for me. Usually I see guricha and sort say, "yeah, whatever."

But this one was more veggie (which I like) and not as light in flavor than most I have had. It was more veggie than most guri I have had. Usually guri seems generally too soft and mellow and lacking any high notes. But is good for casual brewing at home or away from normal set-ups.

I quite liked it! And certainly an easy brewer.

Only downside, it did fade after 2-3 steeps, but again I would say this is as much a reflection of its lower price point as well as characteristic of guri in general.

I am ordering the higher level Gokujo from Xell.

Rating, 4.75 overall and a solid 5 in value.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Sep 7th, '11, 12:30

#4 Aoi Asamushi from O-Cha. This newer offering has become an instant personal fave sencha. I like it at 1:1 as I did for all 4 teas in this tasting. Full veggie flavor with a balanced sweetness to bitter. This seemed hard for me to mess up, very forgiving. Beautiful bouquet!

Easily more than 5 steeps, representative of its pedigree and higher price points.

Overall rating 5, value ... tough call since it is not cheap, but still going with a 5 as it is better in my mind than the higher cost Kirameki also from O-Cha.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby sherubtse » Sep 7th, '11, 12:49

Nice to read your comments about the various OTTI teas, Chip.

Although I didn't participate in this 'round, your comments will be helpful with future tea orders. :mrgreen:

Best wishes,
sherubtse
sherubtse

Postby Chip » Sep 7th, '11, 16:39

sherubtse wrote:Nice to read your comments about the various OTTI teas, Chip.

Although I didn't participate in this 'round, your comments will be helpful with future tea orders. :mrgreen:

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Thanks.

Perhaps you will join in one of the three upcoming OTTIs! Two are now semi finalized, and hoping to finalize the third in the next few days. :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby sherubtse » Sep 7th, '11, 19:04

Chip wrote:
sherubtse wrote:Nice to read your comments about the various OTTI teas, Chip.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Thanks.

Perhaps you will join in one of the three upcoming OTTIs! Two are now semi finalized, and hoping to finalize the third in the next few days. :mrgreen:

I'd love to do so, but I first have to read up on what how it works. Maybe you can give us some advance warning before the next round (s) start. :wink:

Best wishes,
sherubtse
sherubtse

Postby Chip » Sep 7th, '11, 20:21

sherubtse wrote: I'd love to do so, but I first have to read up on what how it works. Maybe you can give us some advance warning before the next round (s) start. :wink:

Best wishes,
sherubtse

As always, I will post a 3 day warning of exactly when the new OTTI topic will go live, etc. under this topic. So as long as you stay tuned, got your ears on ... etc., you will not miss it.

Here is some general OTTI info ... http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=12988

And an OTTI FAQ topic that I accidently let slip. http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=14832
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Drax » Oct 16th, '11, 17:56

In preparation for OTTI #11, I'm finishing up my samples of #10... I do a testing of all the teas, then wait for a bit to see other peoples' comments, and then I finish off all of the samples (if I haven't gone ahead and ordered more of some of them... :lol: ).

Here's a poor lighting shot of #1 in my new tea cup....

Drax

Postby debunix » Oct 16th, '11, 18:21

Looks like an excellent match between shibo and cup and tea.
debunix

Postby BioHorn » Mar 6th, '12, 23:33

Finally got around to trying #4 today
O-Cha Aoi Asamushi
5 grams in 4 ounces of filtered tap water heated in iron tetsubin.
#1. 160F 70 sec.
#2. 165F +-25-35 sec. strong but not overpowering.
#3. 160F 35 sec. weak
#4. 170F 90 sec.
#5. 184F 3 min.

Please keep in mind these observations are coming from a regular pu-yancha drinker.

Totally different tea from other senchas. Not the nuclear green range. This was (to me) like the oolong of the sencha world. Not nearly as vegetal as the other three, but still healthy umami. People mentioned that it was floral. I got that to a small degree. The 4th infusion had a bit of marzipan-ish flavor.

The wet leaf smelled kind of 'eggy.' The liquor had a dense viscosity and color tending toward the darker side for a sencha. The leaf to water ratio was a bit more than 1-1, but it worked out well to get a sense of the tea.

Thanks again Chip for hosting these tea collaboratives.
BioHorn

Previous

Instant Messenger

Permissions