Wed/Thurs TeaDay 9/7-8/11 TeaSession changeling?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. Do you need a "change" in your sessions of tea? Please share!

YES, definitely
6%
Hmm, my sessions of tea are always changing, purposely
24%
Hmmm, come to think of it, my sessions of tea change, serendipitously
35%
Perhaps yes
12%
Maybe
6%
I do not think so
18%
No, definitely not
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 17

Sep 7th, '11, 02:27
Scrolling: scrolling

Wed/Thurs TeaDay 9/7-8/11 TeaSession changeling?

by Chip » Sep 7th, '11, 02:27

Greetings TeaFriends around the world. Please do drop in and share what is in your cup today. Also discuss the topic of the day.

Yesterday we discussed TeawareTutor needs. You can still vote and discuss yesterday's topic, please do.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. Do you need a "change" in your sessions of tea? Please share!

We are looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with everyone. Bottoms up.

Sep 7th, '11, 04:33

Re: Wednesday TeaDay 9/7/11 TeaSession changeling?

by entropyembrace » Sep 7th, '11, 04:33

I try to change things up in my tea world already so my enjoyment doesn´t get stale....not time to change yet though, or my shincha will get stale.

but once that´s taken care of maybe a step into something new is in order...Korean tea perhaps? :mrgreen:

Sep 7th, '11, 08:42

by Running for Tea » Sep 7th, '11, 08:42

Change currently, no. Change soon, yes!! I plan to continue branching out and experimenting with more and more teas.
Started the day with Yutaka Midori from O-Cha :D
20110904092925-1.jpg
20110904090124-1.jpg
Very good, though I did botch the second steep... found myself lost in thought :oops: recovered nicely on 3rd-5th though :mrgreen:

Sep 7th, '11, 08:57

by twinofmunin » Sep 7th, '11, 08:57

I am not sure whether to interpret the question as changing teas over the course of the session or just changing anything about the session, so my answer is in light of the latter. Always slowly trying to make my tea sessions more peaceful for me, so more streamlined, more delicious, more focusing on the task/flavours at hand...

Sep 7th, '11, 09:07

by Chip » Sep 7th, '11, 09:07

twinofmunin wrote:I am not sure whether to interpret the question as changing teas over the course of the session or just changing anything about the session, so my answer is in light of the latter. Always slowly trying to make my tea sessions more peaceful for me, so more streamlined, more delicious, more focusing on the task/flavours at hand...
Yes, the latter ... changing anything about the session in the short or long term.

I tend to get rather set in my ways, but changing simple little things like cups, teapots ... physical items is an easy and desirable transition.

Changing brew methods is something I will try if I feel it will yield a better brew.

Began the TD with a rather drab and old sencha ... I wish I could change to a better sencha but cannot til some arrives hopefully SOOOOON!

Sep 7th, '11, 09:50

by JRS22 » Sep 7th, '11, 09:50

I made two major changes recently.

I purchased a shiboridashi set from O-Cha that includes a yuzamashi and 2 cups perfectly sized for the shib. Now the tea to water ratio is consistent, but, more importantly, pre-heating the pot and cups and cooling the water are easier and more enjoyable, so I do them. I'm practicing on less-expensive gyo, and then I've got some of the better gyo ready to move on to.

Then I bought a new tea kettle that has temperature presets. I moved it to my kitchen table, and because it's so convenient I control the water temperature more consistently. The big change though is that I've begun experimenting with raising the temperature on second and third steeps for green tea, and it's made a big difference.

I've just finished a session with Yame Gyokuro in the aforementioned shib.

Sep 7th, '11, 13:19

by entropyembrace » Sep 7th, '11, 13:19

btw....I just watched the move Changeling before this topic was posted :lol:

Sep 7th, '11, 17:54

by teaisme » Sep 7th, '11, 17:54

I like to change things around. But oddly when I get a new teapot it usually sits for a month or so before it is cleaned out and used.....I dont know why...resistance to change?

As for brewing method change, yeah I do that too. Been playing around with some greens from yuukicha.
Found a nice combo yesterday. Yuukicha bancha mixed with their gyo kukicha. Starting roughly 2 1/2 parts kuki to 1 part bancha (by sight not weight), 160ish water. Brewed similar to a sencha. Second steep added a pinch of bancha. Third steep pinch of bancha. 4th Spoon of kuki. 5th pinch of bancha. Seemed like it could have gone on at least 1 more if not two infusions without further adding leaf. I was done though!

infussions 2,3,4,5 much more brothy then expected. Screams clean. I can taste the very earthy straightforward green tones of the bancha, I can taste the light sweetness along with the more marineyness of the kukicha. So effortless to drink. I enjoyed it over brewing either alone by itself. The subtlety of the kukicha seems to balance out the boldness of the bancha very well.
Revisiting this again while I am at work today. :mrgreen:

Sep 7th, '11, 18:56

by debunix » Sep 7th, '11, 18:56

I'm pretty happy with my teaSessions, except that too many of them happen at work, because I'm at work too much. Not sure how to fix that one, shy of a large inheritance from a long-lost relative or a winning lottery ticket!

Today, had to adapt my tea-at-work to a crazy busy day and the discovery I'd forgotten to prepare something for a midday meeting, so some forgiving TGY went into the thermos, along with hot water from the office water cooler, and off to the meeting I went....'grandpa' style, sort of, drinking from the thermos with the tea still in it.

Sep 7th, '11, 22:05

by goodtexn » Sep 7th, '11, 22:05

My favorite teas and teaware are like members of the family. They help me cope in the morning as I get ready for work and welcome me home after a long day. Sure, I bring home a few guest teas oncenin a while, but I'm a bit of a creature of habit.

Sep 8th, '11, 02:00

by Chip » Sep 8th, '11, 02:00

goodtexn wrote:My favorite teas and teaware are like members of the family. They help me cope in the morning as I get ready for work and welcome me home after a long day. Sure, I bring home a few guest teas oncenin a while, but I'm a bit of a creature of habit.
Welcome to TeaChat! Say high to "the fam." :mrgreen:

Passable TeaDay got better. Began with very mediocre sencha that I have been avoiding. But it is now the only sencha in the house. Fortunately the TD got better with Gyokuro Fujitsubo from the O-C with the Mrs.

I am EAGERLY awaiting better sencha!

Sep 8th, '11, 02:14

by Chip » Sep 8th, '11, 02:14

Running for Tea wrote:Change currently, no. Change soon, yes!! I plan to continue branching out and experimenting with more and more teas.
Started the day with Yutaka Midori from O-Cha :D
Very good, though I did botch the second steep... found myself lost in thought :oops: recovered nicely on 3rd-5th though :mrgreen:
Sweet ... *missing Yutaka Midori!*

Sep 8th, '11, 02:19

by Chip » Sep 8th, '11, 02:19

"Change" TeaDay, I think not, not today. So we will continue to discuss yesterday's "change" topic.

Please share what is in your cup. And discuss yesterday's topic.

Please feel free to begin another topic ... after all, this is our TeaRoom.

See you in TeaDay ... bottoms up.

Sep 8th, '11, 07:03

by karmaplace » Sep 8th, '11, 07:03

I frequently change up my tea sessions, just by what mood I'm in. I drink different kinds of teas throughout the day and sometimes enjoy a full ceremony and sometimes don't.

This summer I haven't been doing very many ceremonies due to the heat, but I have been changing up what tea I'm drinking every time I have to refill the pitcher with another cold-brew. :)

I'm drinking an iced tisane today, rosemary. And I also enjoyed a royal milk tea and iced black tea latte right before work. :mrgreen:

Sep 8th, '11, 23:31

Re: Wed/Thurs TeaDay 9/7-8/11 TeaSession changeling?

by Chip » Sep 8th, '11, 23:31

Record floods here ... or near record ... and all on the heels of Irene. Pretty brutal in PA! The road out front was like a river ... then there was the river running under the house caused by rising water table. Springs popping up everywhere, including in the house.

But there was TEA. The "reluctant" sencha came out pretty good to start the TD ... just used less leaf. The Mrs. agreed.

Then Temomi (sp?) sencha from a TCer that was quite a unique in taste in the first steep. Very good. Funny, the first words out of my mouth were, "clam broth." Inaccurate but shows how different it truly was. :mrgreen: