Malaysia going to export "King of Fruits" to China

Miscellaneous Discussion. Any topics that don't fit in other areas of the forum.

Sep 9th, '11, 18:23

Malaysia going to export "King of Fruits" to China

by apache » Sep 9th, '11, 18:23

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14817043

"auhckw" from pu'erh section of this forum (if you are reading this) or anyone in Malaysia enjoy eating this fruit, better make the most of it now before the Chinese discover it. We from the pu'erh section of this forum only knowing too well what happens when pu'erh tea (it was only drunk in the southern part of China, HK and Macau) was discovered by the middle class in whole of China: price gone up, quality gone down. :evil:

Sep 9th, '11, 19:38
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Malaysia going to export "King of Fruits" to China

by Drax » Sep 9th, '11, 19:38

Wow, I'm surprised that durian hasn't made it to China before now....

I've seen it a few times in the states, but usually in dedicated asian supermarkets.

Sep 9th, '11, 19:43

by Herb_Master » Sep 9th, '11, 19:43

Durian is a superb fruit, we can only get those from Thailand in the UK, and they are not as good as the best from malaysia.

On my last 2 visits I was trying to track down one of penang's best varieties - nicknamed 'Red Prawn' - but my visits failed to tie in with the 'Red Prawn' season. Until then my favourites had been Emperor Durian from kelantan sold in perfect condition from a Rest Area on the main North South Highway (just south of Ipoh).

However all was not lost, a new cultivar has a reputation that now surpasses 'Red Prawn' - this new variety is called 'Fox King' and is tremendous.

In Penang they still claim that their local Red Prawn is the best, but in Kl and Selangor, Musang Wang (Fox King) is generally believed to be better. With no local axe to grind (no great Durians grown in Selangor) perhaps they are more objective, but I still want to try 'Red Prawn' and see which side i come down on!

Sep 9th, '11, 19:44

by Herb_Master » Sep 9th, '11, 19:44

Drax wrote:Wow, I'm surprised that durian hasn't made it to China before now....
It has, but up until now only the Thailand version, which has all the general characteristics you would want from a Durian, but none of the finesse and complexity of a great Malaysian variety.

Sep 9th, '11, 20:39

by auhckw » Sep 9th, '11, 20:39

apache wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14817043

"auhckw" from pu'erh section of this forum (if you are reading this) or anyone in Malaysia enjoy eating this fruit, better make the most of it now before the Chinese discover it. We from the pu'erh section of this forum only knowing too well what happens when pu'erh tea (it was only drunk in the southern part of China, HK and Macau) was discovered by the middle class in whole of China: price gone up, quality gone down. :evil:
I couldn't make the most of it now... there is a limit of how much durian you can eat before you will fall sick... If only durian can be aged... hahaha...

Some general info I could think off...
-Malaysian durian is ripe when it falls down from the tree itself. You cannot harvest it by plucking.
-Used to be seasonal fruit, but these days you can get it most of the time. But there are big seasons, where you will see many durian stalls along the road sides and plenty of durians. Price will be normally cheaper during the big seasons.
-During the big seasons, there are durian buffets too, eat till you drop but normally it will be cheaper grades durian. Alacarte will be based on market price depending on the species.
-There are plenty of species. Different in aroma, sweet taste, bitter taste, colour, texture, seed size, aftertaste, etc.
-Most people like it bitter. The more bitter the more kick.
-You can eat the durian at the stall, or order to takeaway.
-You can buy the durian by the whole, or opened up and put in container.
-You can then eat the durian immediately, or put the the fridge and eat is slowly.
-You must not drink liquar after eating durian or you will die (no joke and not myth).
-Your pee will smell like durian after eating them.
-After eating durian with your fingers will stink, the remedy is wash your hand with durian shell. The water will flow through the durian shell, and wash your hand with that water.
-After eating durian you may get 'heat' / 'sore throat' sickness, the remedy put some salt on the inner shell (white area) put some drinking water... gurgle and then drink the water.
-If you want to try smuggle durian hand carried into flight, put them in sealed container. Placed the container in a box, and put coffee power and pandan leaves on the outside. Tape it. Try at your own risk.

Last... some photos:

Durian is something you either love it or hate it. Those that hate it, will treat it like sh*t, and those that love it will keep eating the sh*t :mrgreen:

Sep 9th, '11, 20:59

by Herb_Master » Sep 9th, '11, 20:59

auhckw wrote: -You can then eat the durian immediately, or put the the fridge and eat is slowly
Not if you are keeping anything else in the fridge :lol:
auhckw wrote:-You must not drink liquar after eating durian or you will die (no joke and not myth).
My Malay Muslim friends don't have that problem, but they ALL showed extreme horror to learn that I was having some wine with my roast lamb immediately after consuming 2 whole Durian. They were recounting tales of death and great illness by friends who had drunk a beer or two after eating Durian.

I failed to tell them that I had actually consumed the whole bottle of wine :oops: suggesting it was only one glass, they still wanted me to visit hospital, I declined saying I felt fine, which I did. I live to tell the tale, maybe it is something to do with tolerance levels, in my youth I am ashamed to say, I would often consume 2 bottles with a meal, and take Malt Whisky or Liqueurs afterwards.

Sep 9th, '11, 21:33

by auhckw » Sep 9th, '11, 21:33

Herb_Master wrote:
auhckw wrote: -You can then eat the durian immediately, or put the the fridge and eat is slowly
Not if you are keeping anything else in the fridge :lol:
auhckw wrote:-You must not drink liquar after eating durian or you will die (no joke and not myth).
My Malay Muslim friends don't have that problem, but they ALL showed extreme horror to learn that I was having some wine with my roast lamb immediately after consuming 2 whole Durian. They were recounting tales of death and great illness by friends who had drunk a beer or two after eating Durian.

I failed to tell them that I had actually consumed the whole bottle of wine :oops: suggesting it was only one glass, they still wanted me to visit hospital, I declined saying I felt fine, which I did. I live to tell the tale, maybe it is something to do with tolerance levels, in my youth I am ashamed to say, I would often consume 2 bottles with a meal, and take Malt Whisky or Liqueurs afterwards.
Well, during the durian season my whole fridge smells like durian... which is why you need to marry a wife who like durian too... hehe

I think it is not beer but hard liquar - xo, vsop. But don't quote me. Just don't take the risk to just to proof you won't die from doing it... :mrgreen:

Sep 10th, '11, 05:33

by gargoylekitty » Sep 10th, '11, 05:33

Love durian though had an accident involving it the other day. Whacked my knee with a bag containing a rather large one. Was ridiculously painful and I guess a few spikes really got me since my knee ended up kinda bloody and a little bruised. :roll:

Also, speaking of durian in the fridge, when I first introduced those I live with to it, I put a container full of it in the main fridge before bed. When I woke up I found that container inside another container out in the fridge we have in the gargage with an open pack of baking soda next to it. :lol: Guess they didn't appreciate the smell, even if the ones I can get here really aren't that strong since they've been frozen.

Sep 10th, '11, 15:55

by apache » Sep 10th, '11, 15:55

If eating too much durian gives you "heat", may be drinking some aggressive strong young sheng puerh might help to balance the "Yin and Yang" :?:

I didn't realize there is "gu shu" (old / big tree) durian as it was shown in one of auhckw's photos, I do wonder does it have "wild", "plantation" and "old plantation" varieties as well?

Talking about alcohol and durian, I been told if you eat overly ripened ones, you can get drunk ... well, that surely is the "shu" (cooked / post fermented) type gives you good durian's "qi". :mrgreen:

Sep 10th, '11, 23:07

by auhckw » Sep 10th, '11, 23:07

apache wrote:If eating too much durian gives you "heat", may be drinking some aggressive strong young sheng puerh might help to balance the "Yin and Yang" :?:

I didn't realize there is "gu shu" (old / big tree) durian as it was shown in one of auhckw's photos, I do wonder does it have "wild", "plantation" and "old plantation" varieties as well?

Talking about alcohol and durian, I been told if you eat overly ripened ones, you can get drunk ... well, that surely is the "shu" (cooked / post fermented) type gives you good durian's "qi". :mrgreen:
I never had durian then sheng pu... but there is another saying... after eating durian 'heat', eat some mangosteen 'cooling'.

http://www.google.com.my/search?q=mango ... 66&bih=639

Mangosteen is also a seasonal fruit, but it comes the same time as Durian season. So best match, and the durian sellers will always sell them too. I liked them a lot... taste sweet, juicy and a little sourish.

Durian from Old tree / High Mountain / Deep Forest of the same species... taste and texture is different, same goes with price.

I still remember when I was in schooling days, my friend has a durian estate. We will take a jeep into the estate with no proper road. Went deep inside, then there is a hut they build. We will then look around for durian on the ground. Kind of scary as you can see there are Durian on top of our head which may fall anytime when it is ripe. The trees are really tall and durian are really high up.

My friend's worker has a scar on his hand which is from Durian falling on him. He said don't worry, chances are slim that a Durian will fall on me... but when I look up, there are so many Durian. Looks dangerous.

http://www.google.com.my/search?q=mango ... 66&bih=639

But the fun is eating the Durian in the Hut... good memories...

Sep 11th, '11, 08:52

by apache » Sep 11th, '11, 08:52

May be helmet should be worn inside durian estates ...

If durian is king of fruits, then mangosteen would be the queen. I personally much prefer mangosteen than durian, and you don't have to ware gas mask to eat it as it has a lovely strawberry flavour.
Last edited by apache on Sep 11th, '11, 09:22, edited 1 time in total.

Sep 11th, '11, 09:16

by auhckw » Sep 11th, '11, 09:16

One more point I forgot to mention... after eating durian, you will burp deadly durian gas quite easily.

Imagine, one person ate durian and sat in the car next to you... good luck :)

Sep 11th, '11, 09:31

by auhckw » Sep 11th, '11, 09:31

One of the Durian deserts that I like... Cream and Durian

+ Post Reply