Thur/Fri TeaDay 9/15-16/11 Too much lately?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

A spin off of yesterday's, is there a tea that you have had too much lately and feel you need a break from it? BONUS, has there ever been such a tea? Please share.

Definitely YES!
6%
Yes, I believe so
14%
Maybe
6%
Not really
26%
Definitely not
6%
Other
No votes
Bonus, Definitely YES!
23%
Bonus, Yes, I believe so
14%
Bonus, Maybe
No votes
Bonus, Not really
6%
Bonus, Definitely not
No votes
Bonus, Other
No votes

Total votes : 35

Re: Thur/Fri TeaDay 9/15-16/11 Too much lately?

Postby twinofmunin » Sep 17th, '11, 20:45

I have overdone it on samples of oolongs on the greener end of the spectrum. :/
twinofmunin

Postby Fuyou » Sep 17th, '11, 21:59

David R. wrote:
Fuyou wrote:I recently received a batch of Hosen and Kumpuu from Ippodo and spent a week on the Hosen and then a few days on the Kumpuu trying to figure out how I want to brew them. I definitely got tired of the Hosen after a while.

May I ask how did it go ? Ippodo have their own parameters (high ratio, high temp). Do you agree with them ? Just curious. :wink:

I tried Ippodo's parameters (10g, 210ml, 80 degrees C, 60 seconds) on the Hosen, and while I can see why they like it, I personally found it too astringent. I like their gram to ml ratio, but for the Kumpuu I prefer 60 degrees C for 60 seconds, and the Hosen I increase that to 90 seconds. I think the teas are nice, but overall I prefer something a little sweeter. For my next big purchase, I think I'm going to try some kabusecha and gyokuro.
Fuyou

Postby David R. » Sep 18th, '11, 03:13

Thanks for the feedback. I began to drink sencha using Ippodo's parameters as they were my first serious experience with japanese green teas. Now, it's been a while since I tried their teas, but the more I drink sencha, the more I am moving towards this kind of parameters : cooler and longer. Still, I sometimes run into sencha that are at their best with a higher temp, but it is not often the case.
David R.

Postby Casualconnoisse... » Sep 18th, '11, 17:15

I went on an oolong binge some weeks back and couldn't bring myself to really want a cup of my favorite oolong for a while afterwards. I've been drinking blacks lately (they're growing on me), but I have a few of those crazy evenings :roll: coming up where I know I'll end up bringing some oolong in a thermos-- it's still my go-to everything tea.
Casualconnoisse...

Postby Chip » Sep 19th, '11, 01:02

Fuyou wrote:
David R. wrote:
Fuyou wrote:I recently received a batch of Hosen and Kumpuu from Ippodo and spent a week on the Hosen and then a few days on the Kumpuu trying to figure out how I want to brew them. I definitely got tired of the Hosen after a while.

May I ask how did it go ? Ippodo have their own parameters (high ratio, high temp). Do you agree with them ? Just curious. :wink:

I tried Ippodo's parameters (10g, 210ml, 80 degrees C, 60 seconds) on the Hosen, and while I can see why they like it, I personally found it too astringent. I like their gram to ml ratio, but for the Kumpuu I prefer 60 degrees C for 60 seconds, and the Hosen I increase that to 90 seconds. I think the teas are nice, but overall I prefer something a little sweeter. For my next big purchase, I think I'm going to try some kabusecha and gyokuro.

I can remember years ago how crazy I thought Ippodo's parameters were ... now I am nearing these slowly but surely. I try to stick to around 1:1, but find myself going over the 1:1 ratio with great success. As I increased the ratio, my steep sizes have decreased to compensate ... and so as to not go broke. :lol:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Previous

Instant Messenger

Permissions