Sun/Mon TeaDay 9/18-19/11 Taste influencial?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

"Inspired" by another topic on the forum, would you say you have found your fave teas via taste (and other senses) or via the influence of others. Think before answering, then share.

Definitely via taste and other senses
38%
Mostly taste and senses
43%
About 50:50
14%
Mostly via the influence of others
5%
Defintely via the influence of others
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 21

Sep 18th, '11, 02:25
Scrolling: scrolling

Sun/Mon TeaDay 9/18-19/11 Taste influencial?

by Chip » Sep 18th, '11, 02:25

Welcome everyone to TeaDay, where TeaFriends gather and share what is in their cup throughout the day ... and to discuss the topic of the day.

Yesterday we discussed reas that we may have grown tired of. Please continue to discuss yesterday's topic.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. "Inspired" by another topic on the forum, would you say you have found your fave teas via taste (and other senses) or via the influence of others. Think before answering, then share.

We are looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with everyone, bottoms up.

Sep 18th, '11, 06:07

Re: Sunday TeaDay 9/18/11 Taste influencial?

by David R. » Sep 18th, '11, 06:07

I'd say taste. When I began seriously my tea adventure, I wanted to try everything, every variety, every variation, which is virtually impossible I guess. But this way, I discovered the very teas I enjoy the most now, mostly dan cong, yancha and sencha. But I couldn't have discovered this without the help of others. Sometime, reading the love that one has for something makes you want to try it ! And I'd say I am grateful to this forum to push me towards Japanese greens (and teaware). But my wallet does not thank you for sure !! :lol:

Ippodo's Rimpo gyokuro : 10g/10cl, 50°C/2', 60°C/15", 70°C/30", 80°C/1', 90°C/1'30. Simply wonderful.

Sep 18th, '11, 07:20

by Herb_Master » Sep 18th, '11, 07:20

Mostly Taste, but guided by written articles on new ones to try.

Wandering round tea shops 5 years ago, the proprietors or their sales assistants would give one the de rigeur sampling of Chinese Teas
Mao Jing, Mao Feng, Tie Guan Yin and Da Hong Pao and their current bulk Shu.

For me it was the taste of DHP that stood out, so I started on a love affair with Yan Cha.

If not for buying tea books and scouring the web for info, my further tea forays may have been pot luck. But with such a wealth of information readily accessible in Books, Blogs and chat Boards it was never going to be long before I came across Bai Ji Guan, Shui Jin Gui and Tie Luo Han.

Sep 18th, '11, 09:06

by blueye » Sep 18th, '11, 09:06

When I first started tea, I was taught a way to "ping" or appreciate tea. Each cup only execute 3 sips. First sip, divert tea to the tip of your tongue. Second sip, swive tea from left to right and back. Final sip, slowly move the tea crossing the end of your tongue. Generally it apply to first few brew I guess.

Taste are influence by your taste bud, my teacher have enlight me the anatomical part of my tongue (don't forget to breath as holding your nose mean you can't taste anything).

First sip = sweetness, fragrance.
Second sip = sour and etc.
Final sip = bitter.

Taste also influence by what teaware your using. Try using different cup to test your tea. BE very surprise. So maybe that is why some ppl say certain tea is better while other said the same tea is flat/tasteless, know thy cup and you can taste more.

Sep 18th, '11, 12:30

by debunix » Sep 18th, '11, 12:30

In an earlier topic on the senses & tea, I put taste as number one because taste has veto power (a bitter-tasting but nice smelling tea doesn't stay in the collection). But I first experience a tea by smell, opening up a bag and sniffing, before I scoop some out to view and brew, and again the brewing tea is experienced by smell, and while waiting for it to cool. Smell, plus sight and touch are certainly 50:50 with taste in making a tea my favorite.

Drinking White Oolong from Norbu this teaDay.

Sep 18th, '11, 12:57

by rhondabee » Sep 18th, '11, 12:57

I think I was definitely inspired to try my favorite type of tea, because I would have not even known about the tea if it wasn't for a person who bought the tea and then shared it with me. That said, I tried a variety of teas (greens, oolong, black tea) and it was taste that decided which tea I liked the best. The memory of that first taste stayed with me for years until I was able to buy it again and it has remained my favorite tea (Taiwanese high mountain oolong). I am influenced on TeaChat to try other teas through the OTTI samplers but my taste always dictates whether I want to continue to drink the tea and buy more of it or not.

Today drinking some lovely Lishan oolong.

Sep 18th, '11, 12:59

by AdamMY » Sep 18th, '11, 12:59

The teas I drink consistently are due to taste. New teas I try are a combination of whim, and others raving about them.

Sep 19th, '11, 00:57

by Chip » Sep 19th, '11, 00:57

Most certainly taste and other senses. I began drinking tea before I had much internet access and pre TeaChat, etc. And living in a TeaVacuum, there simply was no influence to be found. :lol:

And taste I did. Like many of us, I tasted just about everything I could find.

Great TD began with a strong tasting of Asatsuya from the Expo with the Mrs. Came out incredible! Next up, Sencha Premier from Adagio.

Sep 19th, '11, 01:39

Thur/Fri TeaDay 9/15-16/11 Too much lately?

by Chip » Sep 19th, '11, 01:39

More tasting and influencing for this topic. So we will carry it over to Monday.

Please continue to share what is in your cup, discuss the topic of the day ... or discuss whatever topic you want, after all this is our TeaRoom.

Bottoms up! Looking forward to seeing you on TeaDay.

Sep 19th, '11, 05:44

by Nenugal » Sep 19th, '11, 05:44

I'm easily influenced to try new types of tea, but the taste determines if I will keep drinking it. Now preparing for a nice cup of Uji Asamushi Sencha "Hana no Kaori".

Sep 19th, '11, 10:12

by Chip » Sep 19th, '11, 10:12

blueye wrote:When I first started tea, I was taught a way to "ping" or appreciate tea. Each cup only execute 3 sips. First sip, divert tea to the tip of your tongue. Second sip, swive tea from left to right and back. Final sip, slowly move the tea crossing the end of your tongue. Generally it apply to first few brew I guess.

Taste are influence by your taste bud, my teacher have enlight me the anatomical part of my tongue (don't forget to breath as holding your nose mean you can't taste anything).

First sip = sweetness, fragrance.
Second sip = sour and etc.
Final sip = bitter.

Taste also influence by what teaware your using. Try using different cup to test your tea. BE very surprise. So maybe that is why some ppl say certain tea is better while other said the same tea is flat/tasteless, know thy cup and you can taste more.
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Welcome to the forum. How about introducing yourself in Introductions!!! :mrgreen:

Sep 19th, '11, 12:02

Re: Sun/Mon TeaDay 9/18-19/11 Taste influencial?

by DarkenedSun » Sep 19th, '11, 12:02

When I really got into tea, I didn't have anyone to influence me. I just tried everything I could. I started to figure out what I liked and didn't and went from there. Since then, I've found blogs and now this site and they have inspired me to try different teas. If I see something someone really loves, I'll give it a try. :D

Sep 26th, '11, 20:18

Re: Sun/Mon TeaDay 9/18-19/11 Taste influencial?

by shah82 » Sep 26th, '11, 20:18

I drink some tea for the qi, which frankly speaking, overrules taste. There are plenty of good tasting tea around. Not as many teas that'll knock you out.