Purple bud puerh?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Sep 20th, '11, 13:13

Purple bud puerh?

by DarkenedSun » Sep 20th, '11, 13:13

Has anyone had experience with purple bud tea? I saw a cake that looked pretty cool but I wanted to know what your opinions are. I'm probably going to order some sample but while I wait, I'd love to hear your input. :D

Sep 20th, '11, 14:36

Re: Purple bud puerh?

by bearsbearsbears » Sep 20th, '11, 14:36

DarkenedSun wrote:Has anyone had experience with purple bud tea? I saw a cake that looked pretty cool but I wanted to know what your opinions are. I'm probably going to order some sample but while I wait, I'd love to hear your input. :D
It's strange stuff. Do try a sample first!
Which cake are you looking at?

Sep 20th, '11, 14:57

by TokyoB » Sep 20th, '11, 14:57

It can be very, very bitter so as BBB said, sample first!

Sep 20th, '11, 15:14

by bearsbearsbears » Sep 20th, '11, 15:14

TokyoB wrote:It can be very, very bitter so as BBB said, sample first!
Ya, some are really bitter, some are sour, some are fruity. Heavy regional variation, I find. Purple bud/yesheng from Lincang is different from XSBN is different from Simao.

Sep 20th, '11, 17:19

by DarkenedSun » Sep 20th, '11, 17:19

bearsbearsbears wrote:
DarkenedSun wrote:Has anyone had experience with purple bud tea? I saw a cake that looked pretty cool but I wanted to know what your opinions are. I'm probably going to order some sample but while I wait, I'd love to hear your input. :D
It's strange stuff. Do try a sample first!
Which cake are you looking at?
I don't have any specific cake I'm thinking of yet. I just kinda stumbled across a site that had some and so I looked and got intrigued. I see a few sites that have these cakes so I will be looking to find one that has samples.

Sep 22nd, '11, 22:09

by debunix » Sep 22nd, '11, 22:09

I have one that is said to be purple tea, but the leaf itself is not very purple: I like it very much. Another is made from a new varietal with purple in the name, and is quite....unusual. It's not especially bitter, but is more fruity than your average pu. So two "purples", and no shocking bitterness, just two tasty teas.

Oct 4th, '11, 18:08

by DarkenedSun » Oct 4th, '11, 18:08

debunix wrote:I have one that is said to be purple tea, but the leaf itself is not very purple: I like it very much. Another is made from a new varietal with purple in the name, and is quite....unusual. It's not especially bitter, but is more fruity than your average pu. So two "purples", and no shocking bitterness, just two tasty teas.
What kind are the ones you like? I tried my first and it was very nice. :D

Oct 4th, '11, 22:52

by debunix » Oct 4th, '11, 22:52

DarkenedSun wrote:
debunix wrote:I have one that is said to be purple tea, but the leaf itself is not very purple: I like it very much. Another is made from a new varietal with purple in the name, and is quite....unusual. It's not especially bitter, but is more fruity than your average pu. So two "purples", and no shocking bitterness, just two tasty teas.
The first one I've had is 2006 Haiwan "Purple Bud" and the second is 2010 Fall Zi Juan - Yunnan "Purple Beauty" Tea, both from Norbu.

Oct 5th, '11, 12:36

by DarkenedSun » Oct 5th, '11, 12:36

debunix wrote:
DarkenedSun wrote:
The first one I've had is 2006 Haiwan "Purple Bud" and the second is 2010 Fall Zi Juan - Yunnan "Purple Beauty" Tea, both from Norbu.
I will keep those in mind for my next round of ordering. :D

Oct 7th, '11, 00:57

by RogueBagel » Oct 7th, '11, 00:57

debunix wrote:
DarkenedSun wrote:
The first one I've had is [ul=http://www.norbutea.com/2006_haiwan_pur ... h_tea_cake]2006 Haiwan "Purple Bud"[/url] and the second is [ul=http://www.norbutea.com/ZiJuan_PurpleBeauty]2010 Fall Zi Juan - Yunnan "Purple Beauty" Tea[/url], both from Norbu.
Just ordered samples of both :)
Will be my first order of Pu-erh

Oct 7th, '11, 12:18

by DarkenedSun » Oct 7th, '11, 12:18

RogueBagel wrote:
debunix wrote:
DarkenedSun wrote:
The first one I've had is [ul=http://www.norbutea.com/2006_haiwan_pur ... h_tea_cake]2006 Haiwan "Purple Bud"[/url] and the second is [ul=http://www.norbutea.com/ZiJuan_PurpleBeauty]2010 Fall Zi Juan - Yunnan "Purple Beauty" Tea[/url], both from Norbu.
Just ordered samples of both :)
Will be my first order of Pu-erh
Very cool. If you don't like the flavor of those, don't give up on Pu. Depending on what kind, there is a wide range of tastes that the tea can have. Be sure to try both ripe and raw before deciding on whether or not you like puerh as well. :D

Oct 7th, '11, 21:49

by debunix » Oct 7th, '11, 21:49

Much as I enjoy that Haiwan purple bud, I have to admit that these interesting purple teas would not have turned me on the puerh, if they were the first puerhs I'd tried. I try to share those with people who are already interested in puerh.

Oct 8th, '11, 00:22
Scrolling: scrolling

by fracol » Oct 8th, '11, 00:22

debunix wrote:Much as I enjoy that Haiwan purple bud, I have to admit that these interesting purple teas would not have turned me on the puerh, if they were the first puerhs I'd tried. I try to share those with people who are already interested in puerh.

...so just out of curiosity, what puerh DID get you interested in the first place?

Oct 8th, '11, 03:30

by debunix » Oct 8th, '11, 03:30

My first puerh was unknown--my dad had already brewed it up, so I didn't see what he started with. It was delicious. I'd guess it was an inexpensive shu. Then I recognized the word on a can of Rishi mini-tuos, and after a year or two of drinking those, I worked up the nerve to try a couple of beengs from my local chinatown tea shops. Again, I know very little about those.

Oct 28th, '11, 12:37

by hop_goblin » Oct 28th, '11, 12:37

If memory serves me correctly, which has failed on occasion :lol: I believe that purple bud is a result of a lack of sun while growing as part of the photosynthesis process.

+ Post Reply