Keep or throw away the batch tea if 1st infusion is cloudy?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 15th, '11, 02:23

Keep or throw away the batch tea if 1st infusion is cloudy?

by HifideliTea » Aug 15th, '11, 02:23

The debate with my wife rages on.

She tells me to throw away the pu-erh's that's cloudy at the first infusion, though the tea is drinkable.
She says we've enough teas so why drink those that are not well fermentated and may be a health hazard. (Both our qi and age does not permit us to drink excessive raw pu-erh's, so it's all ripe or 15 years and older raw teas for us).

Do you keep or throw away the whole batch of tea? Is your decision based on taste, your age or health factors? Is price of the tea anything to do with it as well?

Most tea vendors in Beijing tells me to discard it, probably so that they can sell more of their stuff to us.

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

Thank you.

Aug 15th, '11, 09:15

Re: Keep or throw away the batch tea if 1st infusion is cloudy?

by gasninja » Aug 15th, '11, 09:15

For any cloudy sheng over fifteen years of age just mail a cake of each to me., I woud be more than happy to try them out and give you my "expert" :lol: opinion .
Seriously though I dont think cloudyness alone qualifies a tea for the compost bin.

Aug 15th, '11, 09:28

by oak » Aug 15th, '11, 09:28

KC Lam wrote:The debate with my wife rages on.

She tells me to throw away the pu-erh's that's cloudy at the first infusion, though the tea is drinkable.
She says we've enough teas so why drink those that are not well fermentated and may be a health hazard. (Both our qi and age does not permit us to drink excessive raw pu-erh's, so it's all ripe or 15 years and older raw teas for us).

Do you keep or throw away the whole batch of tea? Is your decision based on taste, your age or health factors? Is price of the tea anything to do with it as well?

Most tea vendors in Beijing tells me to discard it, probably so that they can sell more of their stuff to us.

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

Thank you.
Because when it is known that a tea is to throw?. What does it tastes?

Aug 15th, '11, 10:51

by MarshalN » Aug 15th, '11, 10:51

Nonsense

Cloudiness can be caused by a lot of things, including having too much crushed leaves in your brew. So, if you were brewing, say, the odds and ends inside a wrapper, it's not surprising to see a cloudy first infusion.

Aug 15th, '11, 11:27

by beecrofter » Aug 15th, '11, 11:27

It would be interesting to put a drop of the cloudy tea under the microscope.

Sep 20th, '11, 16:09

by teaisme » Sep 20th, '11, 16:09

:!: you make me want to go buy a microscope :mrgreen:

Sep 20th, '11, 17:13

by wyardley » Sep 20th, '11, 17:13

I think of cloudiness as a minor flaw in some cases, though as marshaln says, there are other things that can cause the brewed tea to have a cloudy appearance.

As with smokiness, you really have to consider the degree of cloudiness and how long it sticks around, even so, if the tea is otherwise excellent, I wouldn't throw away good tea because of it.

Oct 28th, '11, 12:48

by hop_goblin » Oct 28th, '11, 12:48

I will discard even the 3rd infusion if it is cloudy or crappy. Its my tea and my body, and will discard it if it doesn't agree with me.

+ Post Reply