Help from chinese-proficient members needed

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Sep 21st, '11, 09:51

Help from chinese-proficient members needed

by dr-ivan » Sep 21st, '11, 09:51

Hello good people!

I was wondering if anyone could help me to identify the label on this tea box based on the pics below? Got it off of eBay a while back and cannot for the life of me find the translation.

Thank you in advance!

Sep 21st, '11, 10:37

Re: Help from chinese-proficient members needed

by Poohblah » Sep 21st, '11, 10:37

The label says it's tieguanyin, which is an oolong (not a green), but the loose leaf doesn't look like TGY to me; it looks too oxidized and TGY is usually rolled into balls.

Although, "Chinese Gitf" tea is a rare variety indeed. ;)

Sep 21st, '11, 12:14

by dr-ivan » Sep 21st, '11, 12:14

Thanks for the info! Yes, indeed, the "engrish" text and the cheap-o packaging do suggest that something is not as it should be :D But then again - that's what happens when ordering things on eBay. I guess you get exactly what you pay for.

The leaf itself comes across to me as very thin (under 1mm in diameter) and small (1-1.5 cm in length) compared to almost anything I have tasted - looks almost like fir needles. Is there any particular tea that matches this description?

Unfortunately I am still not experienced enough to identify it by its taste - however, brewed at 80C it doesn't taste too bad!

Sep 21st, '11, 23:04

by beachape » Sep 21st, '11, 23:04

In china, it is fairly common that tea is put in a more general container for sale. There may be many containers that are distributed, and a farmer or local tea distributor may choose whatever works. Usually it lists the general variety of tea with some general information. The containers are rarely helpful.

This tea certainly doesn't look like tieguanyin. It looks like a typical chinese grocery store tea which is likely a basic chinese green or oolong tea.

Sep 22nd, '11, 04:57

by dr-ivan » Sep 22nd, '11, 04:57

Thank you for the explanation! Then I guess the mystery has been solved... :)

+ Post Reply