"FGRH" Sun-Tues TeaDay 9/25-27/11 TeaTastersInternational?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Have you participated in group tea tastings that were shipped to you? If not, would you like to? See topic for more details.

Yes I have participated in many group tea tastings.
21%
Yes, I have particpated in at least one group tea tasting.
30%
No, I have not but it sounds very interesting.
48%
No, not really interested.
No votes
Other.
No votes

Total votes: 33

Sep 25th, '11, 01:47
Scrolling: scrolling

"FGRH" Sun-Tues TeaDay 9/25-27/11 TeaTastersInternational?

by Chip » Sep 25th, '11, 01:47

Welcome Tea aficionados to TeaDay! Let's brew, then share what is in our cups today, all day, of course.

Yesterday we discussed a fave topic of TCers, food. Please continue to discuss yesterday's topic.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic is about tea tastings. Have you participated in group tea tastings that were shipped to you? If not, would you like to? If yes, how was the experience and would you do more?

We are looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with everyone. Bottoms up!

Sep 25th, '11, 01:56

Re: FGRH

by Chip » Sep 25th, '11, 01:56

BTW, when I say group tastings, I am refering to a group of people, "participants," all receiving the same tea or group of teas from a "host." They can be highly or loosely organized.

Participants then share notes and impressions about the tea.

Sep 25th, '11, 09:44

by AdamMY » Sep 25th, '11, 09:44

I can't quite put together with certainty what "FGRH" stands for, but I have participated in one OTTI, which I think is the only time I've ever done something quite of that form. I did participate in a box pass back when those were going on, and we quickly learned the downsides to those, as the box vanished.

Sep 25th, '11, 11:49

by Chip » Sep 25th, '11, 11:49

AdamMY wrote:I can't quite put together with certainty what "FGRH" stands for ...
Guess what FGRH means, and you can participate for FREE in an upcoming OTTI. One lucky winner! :mrgreen:

I have honestly lost count in how many "formal" group tastings I have participated in, or "hosted." I guess you could say I really enjoy them. I enjoy the prospect of sharing "new teas" and discussing them as well as sharing "new vendors" with other TeaEnthusiasts and thus created OTTI, Official Tea Tasting Initiative.

There are currently 4 different OTTI rounds ...

Here is the OTTI forum of TeaChat: http://www.teachat.com/viewforum.php?f=66

Some OTTI schedule info: http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 50#p207716

3 day notification of the upcoming OTTI: http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 95#p207715

OTTI how to: http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=16242

Sep 25th, '11, 12:27

Re: "FGRH" Sunday TeaDay 9/25/11 TeaTastersInternational?

by debunix » Sep 25th, '11, 12:27

Veteran of a dozen or so tastings, which have introduced me to some of many of my favorite teas, puerhs and oolongs and senchas and green teas....all were good experiences. I sometimes pass one up if my cupboard is too full, or I'm crazy busy, but I love them on general principles.

No tea for a long time today....

Sep 25th, '11, 13:07

by Nenugal » Sep 25th, '11, 13:07

Chip wrote:
AdamMY wrote:I can't quite put together with certainty what "FGRH" stands for ...
Guess what FGRH means, and you can participate for FREE in an upcoming OTTI. One lucky winner! :mrgreen:
"FGRH", the word commonly typed by cats on keyboard. :mrgreen:

I've participated in one previous OTTI, and I'm looking forward to trying to get into the next one too :)

Tea day: Matcha, Tie Guan Yin.

Sep 25th, '11, 15:08

by JRS22 » Sep 25th, '11, 15:08

I've participated in most of the OTTIs here on Teachat. In general Teachat is an excellent source of information about different teas, where to buy them and how to brew them. The OTTIs add that extra level of specificity because everyone is talking about the very same tea. And of course the ability to compare a number of teas for a small fee is a plus.

The only OTTI that I didn't finish was the oolong - but at least I've ruled out one category of teas for the present without buying full bags.

I got a late start to this tea day. I'm on the last steep of my beloved O-Cha Otsuusan, which will be followed closely by a Puerh session.

Sep 25th, '11, 15:24

by Chip » Sep 25th, '11, 15:24

Nenugal wrote:
Chip wrote:
"FGRH", the word commonly typed by cats on keyboard. :mrgreen:

I've participated in one previous OTTI, and I'm looking forward to trying to get into the next one too :)

Tea day: Matcha, Tie Guan Yin.
Excellent guess! :lol: :lol: :lol: but kitties usually depress more like FGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRH and then somehow do things to my 'puter that I have never been able to duplicate. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Began the TD with a prelim tasting of a tea for OTTI 11 with the Mrs!!! It was ... wonderful! Hopefully an indication of a great OTTI round.

Sep 25th, '11, 20:01

by BioHorn » Sep 25th, '11, 20:01

FGRH:
Formal Group Requires Hosting?
if not then hopefully:
Formal Group Received Hosting!

Last OTTI was my first. I came on right after the last Pu OTTI and had to sit around reading all the great posts about the experience.

It is enjoyable to hear others experiences and brewing experiments. I have found it a nice way to learn more about brewing. Do others find that what they learn translates/helps them to brew other tea varieties/techniques?

Sounds like another good one on tap. Cannot wait to hear what variety of tea is on tap! Thanks again Chip.

Sep 25th, '11, 21:26

by FlyedPiper » Sep 25th, '11, 21:26

Never done it, but I'd be most interested :).

Especially an oolong or green tea tasting, but I'm game for anything except herbals.

Sep 26th, '11, 01:59

by Chip » Sep 26th, '11, 01:59

BioHorn wrote:Sounds like another good one on tap. Cannot wait to hear what variety of tea is on tap! Thanks again Chip.
Yes, I believe so! Another prelim tasting of another OTTI 11 selection, again a wonderful session! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
FlyedPiper wrote:Never done it, but I'd be most interested :).

Especially an oolong or green tea tasting, but I'm game for anything except herbals.
This OOTI 11 is sencha. Hope you can join us! :mrgreen:

Sep 26th, '11, 02:02

by Chip » Sep 26th, '11, 02:02

Let's taste this topic one more day! So, please share what is in your cup ... and discuss the topic of the day.

Feel free to add another topic to the discussion as well ... this is our TeaRoom.

We are looking forward to sharing another TeaDay with ... everyone. Bottoms up.

Sep 26th, '11, 08:05

Re: "FGRH" Sun/mON TeaDay 9/25-26/11 TeaTastersInternational?

by Running for Tea » Sep 26th, '11, 08:05

I have never participated before, but it does sound like a fun experience!
FGRH must mean Formal Group Review Host??
.....and did I hear someone say SENCHA??!! :P

Sep 26th, '11, 08:16
Vendor Member

Re: "FGRH" Sun/mON TeaDay 9/25-26/11 TeaTastersInternational?

by Xell » Sep 26th, '11, 08:16

Did try many teas in a shop together with shop owner and some other people. Probably it can be considered group tasting, though it was not shipped to me :)

I've finally tried all puerh samples i had, over 30 totally :) Was interesting experience, some i enjoyed a lot, there were also those that i could not drink. Once i got nausea from ripe puerh, now even if taste is nice i can't really relax while drinking it :( What i will get again is probably raw puerh which is 2 to 7 years old, especially those with mix of smoky and berry flavors, really nice. Didn't enjoy aged raw as much as more younger one.

But now i'm drinking matcha, i got more after all. Matcha is sure addicting, feeling that i want to drink it again appeared quite fast :mrgreen:

p.s.
Several days ago went to more bigger fish market quite far from our house, was really crowded, but choice was quite amazing. Dinner looked like this Image

Sep 26th, '11, 12:18

Re: "FGRH" Sun/Mon TeaDay 9/25-26/11 TeaTastersInternational?

by blueye » Sep 26th, '11, 12:18

sound good, but so far I just test / sample tea in shop. :wink:

tea bring ppl together, and of course bring me to places I don't usually go.